D

darkcirclesunder

Sep 8, 2022
So O was watching a guy on youtube today, a software engineer from india who lives in palo alto california, and pays 1500 a month to share a bed in a room with three other engineers in a house. How do people like this get the motivation to sustain themselves and work a frustrating, complex, mentally taxing job as a software engineer when he most likely will never be able to own a home in the area he works in? Because our housing system is parasitic on society and is seen as a means of accruing easy wealth, i dont know how he could keep this motivation? Also he will most likely lose his job in the next recession but maybe he can buy a house in another state i guess.

I will be honest, guys like him really deserve respect, working that hard for a year or even a few years with no end in sight while housing will keep on going up as more investors buy up more homes, or a recession to ruin the economy for a few years while investors recoup their losses and play the whole game over again. How people have the motivation to keep going on is pretty crazy to me.

Reactions: Rocinante, sincerelysad, ryo the frog and 1 other person
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I agree. I have a lot of respect for people that can make these situations work and turn them in their favour. I will say though, some are more cut out for it than others. Not everyone can do that. Some have the mind but not the health and visa versa. You do need to be somewhat perfectly poised to manage, survive and ultimately thrive in these situations and its not only about sheer determination. I think for people who have the health and mental capacity that may be somewhat true but even they can end up screwed out of their accomplishments in some way or another. Perhaps it takes a certain level of optimism and ignorance. Some might called it PMA but lets be honest, that's delusional. Still hard not to admire someone that works hard in the face of adversity with smile on their face. They deserve more than they sometimes get.

Reactions: darkcirclesunder
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
It can be common here for Indian people to start out at the ground level, work very hard as a team and eventually achieve financial independence. Often it's the first generation of immigrants who are very motivated. In their favour they have comradery, big dreams and the willingness to accept humble beginnings.

Reactions: Rocinante and darkcirclesunder
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
How do people like this get the motivation to sustain themselves and work a frustrating, complex, mentally taxing job as a software engineer when he most likely will never be able to own a home in the area he works in?
The most highly motivated of them are the ones that just like doing the frustrating, complex and mentally taxing thing they are doing. There really are people out there that like solving complex problems and get a kick out of it. Sure, every job sometimes is frustrating and mentally demanding, but it's not always a soul-sucking experience. If it is and you're only tolerating it to reach a certain standard of living, life becomes significantly more frustrating. Some people get through this frustration by persistently convincing themselves that they can make their dreams come true, even if that's a borderline delusional belief. After all, sometimes fantasizing about getting what you want is even better than actually getting it, and these fantasies can get people pretty far.

Reactions: darkcirclesunder