yawasimas

yawasimas

Drowned in my thoughts.
Apr 7, 2023
So, in short, I was talking to a friend about this subject, and I was thinking...
People who kill themselves certainly are aware of why they want to end their own lives in that part of their life, and we definitely can have a very long discussion of how it can be a matter of choice. But, what it becomes when we bring it as a psychiatric sintom?
As something that have a very heavy influence towards situations that made you feel how you feel, and think how you think - starting before you knew you wanted to choose to do it.
Depression, anxiety, Bipolar disorders and other conditions that could change the way how your brain works.
How would that choice be like without everything that you love and enjoy (or hate) about the world and the people around you not meeting the same conditions which would've probably been pointed by therapists? Even the reasons or concerns you still have to be alive.

Reactions: etherealspring, Praestat_Mori and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think that is a valid point. But, I'd argue that many people are aware that they could be depressed or have some sort of mental imbalance and plenty seek to treat it- often before it's so bad that they become suicidal I imagine. Being deeply unhappy tends to motivate us to try and figure out why and to do something about it- if we can.

I'd imagine it's actually a minority here who haven't at least tried something- be it self help books, therapy, medication, healthy living. Why haven't those things worked adequately? Clearly they haven't worked to the extent that the person no longer has suicidal thoughts. When can we say that a mental illness is treatment resistant?

To compare it to physical illness- a person may wish to end their life because they are suffering chronic pain. If that pain isn't treatable, I imagine most people would sympathise with them. Yet- without that particular affliction, they may admit themselves that they would be happy to keep living. If the same happens for someone with long term depression- they think they could well also feep better if they didn't have it- what are they to do if treatments don't seem to work? There are people here who have gone through years- maybe even decades of treatment. Yes, their suicidal thoughts may well largely be attributed to a mental illness but- if they can't seem to cure that- what are they meant to do?

Reactions: yawasimas and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Depression, anxiety, Bipolar disorders and other conditions that could change the way how your brain works.
Imo the major question is in those cases is whether they are caused by genetics or by external and often uncontrollable circumstances. Our environment can make us depressed or develop "coping mechanisms" that are later said to be mental health issues but could have been avoided for example if potential child abuse never had happened to a child. Our brains develop from early childhood into early adulthood.

Reactions: yawasimas and Metalhead
Imagined_Euphoria

Imagined_Euphoria

Student
Aug 5, 2024
My suicide thoughts are happening many times throughout the day, but mostly at night I keep thinking: Tommorrow you will do it. You will buy a gun and pull the trigger. You will do it.

And when I wake up its kinda gone for a while but it always comes back so strong at night. I'm just a fucking coward.

nihilistic_dragon

nihilistic_dragon

Student
Aug 6, 2024
Well, I guess it all boils down to the argument about us having or not having free will, doesn't it? Like you said, certain things in out brains and bodies can make us feel certain things and do certain things, and because of that some argue that we don't have any free will.

yawasimas

yawasimas

Drowned in my thoughts.
Apr 7, 2023
To compare it to physical illness- a person may wish to end their life because they are suffering chronic pain. If that pain isn't treatable, I imagine most people would sympathise with them. Yet- without that particular affliction, they may admit themselves that they would be happy to keep living. If the same happens for someone with long term depression- they think they could well also feep better if they didn't have it- what are they to do if treatments don't seem to work? There are people here who have gone through years- maybe even decades of treatment. Yes, their suicidal thoughts may well largely be attributed to a mental illness but- if they can't seem to cure that- what are they meant to do?
Hey!
Sorry for the late response!
Well, maybe it doesn't need to be all about pain. There's plenty of ways to live with it. But, I think I understand what you mean. Even though, I don't have any ideia of what people can live with, I believe that hapiness can be found though it too. It may helps we think it's all this is about. To want to live again. Do we need a purpose to achieve it? I prefer to think that being able to feel something can be more than enough for a good restart.
Imo the major question is in those cases is whether they are caused by genetics or by external and often uncontrollable circumstances. Our environment can make us depressed or develop "coping mechanisms" that are later said to be mental health issues but could have been avoided for example if potential child abuse never had happened to a child. Our brains develop from early childhood into early adulthood.
It happens. That's why we're here. Thanks for stopping by to say this <3
Well, I guess it all boils down to the argument about us having or not having free will, doesn't it? Like you said, certain things in out brains and bodies can make us feel certain things and do certain things, and because of that some argue that we don't have any free will.
Well, we do. But, sometimes, some choices we make might no be completely chosen by ourselfs. It doesn't need to make sense, just healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forever Sleep
Necrosis

Necrosis

En bokstavelig bjørn som later som om han er menne
Feb 23, 2023
I can understand when my feelings are logic based and hormonal. I can physically feel when my brain isn't giving me my happy chemicals for satisfaction, vs when my way of thinking has just induced despair. My brain has literally been rewired to have reactions to certain stimuli, yay cptsd.

My suicidal thoughts are usually just me wondering if I'm done doing what I need to and if it's time to go. Or a desperation for relief, but that's selfish desire. I often try to help myself and do better no matter how I'm feeling. All the basic self help stuff and trying to form a routine of healthy thinking. Recently though I recognize this is all performance. I live for others, not myself. I act a certain way to keep them happy even when I am not. They want me healthy, they care for me, so to care for them I look after myself. But I still do not plan on leaving them. Seeing my suicide as the way I will eventually pass (I refuse natural cause) means my performance doesn't really matter. No matter how suicidal I am compared to how I act, it will not change the outcome. This has made me relax on my performance. I will kill myself eventually, its about when I do it that matters. I can't control how I feel fairly often, so I should just stick around and stop wearing myself down worrying about making sure I ate, how I slept, how social I was, if I relapsed or not, etc. Because of these thoughts on my suicide, I feel like I've almost gained more free will. It's not holding me back or making me do things I wouldn't want to do. Now I do things when *I* feel like doing it, not when other people want me to. This lack of pressure has eased my suffering.