• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

AngelGirl

AngelGirl

Cat
May 18, 2019
I have never called them because I just don't trust them.

But if you ever call them and they want to call cops on you, how do they know your location?
Do you tell them? Or can they track it down?

Reactions: Lennox
G

Grief

May 25, 2019
They can find your location through your computer IP address or by pinging your phone. They may ask for your location, but it will be just to verify where your are. Some hotlines, i.e., crisischat.org will not contact the police if you promise you don't have imminent plans. If you dial the 1-800 suicide hotline, you will end up talking to someone working for a mental health facility/clinic in your geographic area and that person will use their judgement to decide whether to contact police. If contacted, the police will be told everything you said/wrote. Don't assume what you say is confidential. If you feel overwhelmed and don't feel you have anyone else to whom you can talk, then a hotline is a good choice, but realize that if the counselor thinks you're in imminent danger, they will call the police and may not let you know they are contacting them.

• Hmph!
Reactions: JayZT, TiredHorse, puppy9 and 2 others
AngelGirl

AngelGirl

Cat
May 18, 2019
They can find your location through your computer IP address or by pinging your phone. They may ask for your location, but it will be just to verify where your are. Some hotlines, i.e., crisischat.org will not contact the police if you promise you don't have imminent plans. If you dial the 1-800 suicide hotline, you will end up talking to someone working for a mental health facility/clinic in your geographic area and that person will use their judgement to decide whether to contact police. If contacted, the police will be told everything you said/wrote. Don't assume what you say is confidential. If you feel overwhelmed and don't feel you have anyone else to whom you can talk, then a hotline is a good choice, but realize that if the counselor thinks you're in imminent danger, they will call the police and may not let you know they are contacting them.

So I guess if you chat online with them, you can use VPN or Tor to avoid being hospitalized.

Do you know if it would be safe for me to call (Although I have absolutely no plans to call them) since I live in the middle of Manhattan, in an Apartment complex? Cause there are so many people residing in proximity, I think it would be impossible to pin down the exact location unless they have more personal information about me?

Pupuce

Pupuce

Nobody exists on purpose. Come ctb
Apr 19, 2019
So I guess if you chat online with them, you can use VPN or Tor to avoid being hospitalized.

Do you know if it would be safe for me to call (Although I have absolutely no plans to call them) since I live in the middle of Manhattan, in an Apartment complex? Cause there are so many people residing in proximity, I think it would be impossible to pin down the exact location unless they have more personal information about me?
Ip address and phone numbers are limited to 1 machine on the same network, they can get to you with that when they get to said network. VPN is a good idea I think but i'm not entirely sure of how it works.

Reactions: AngelGirl
G

Grief

May 25, 2019

I don't know, but in any event, I do think it is safe for you to call. You can say that you have felt like harming yourself at times. If you get very specific, like telling them you have pills and have constant thoughts of overdosing, the hotline counselor may contact police. You may have to wait 30-45 minutes for an online chat with crisischat.org. They will be empathetic, ask if you are alone, and ask if you are safe, i.e., nothing handy to harm yourself. They will ask if you want to develop a "safety plan" and perhaps offer some resources in your area. They will give you 1-2 hrs of time and if you seem stable, they will say they have to move on to another call. If you call the 1-800 suicide number and sound very distressed and panicked the counselor may contact the police if they are very concerned for you. The 1-800 counselor can also offer you some local resources after discussing your situation.

P

Painted Bird

...///...
Jul 15, 2019
In my opinion this is pointless, reaching out for help while at the same time hiding behind Tor / VPN in order for your "helpers" not to calls cops on you. So they obviously cannot be trusted. It's like a mouse calling a cat for help, or a frog calling a stork.

Reactions: NoGameNoLife, Lennox, AngelGirl and 1 other person
AngelGirl

AngelGirl

Cat
May 18, 2019
In my opinion this is pointless, reaching out for help while at the same time hiding behind Tor / VPN in order for your "helpers" not to calls cops on you. So they obviously cannot be trusted. It's like a mouse calling a cat for help, or a frog calling a stork.

Sometimes I just want to vent and talk to an actual person.. they don't even have to understand I just want to be listened to..
I feel so isolated because I feel like I am going through so much and there's no one around me to share it.
I get emotional a lot and I would start to cry out of nowhere, feel extremely sad and so desperate. Sometimes I just desperately want to talk to someone but I feel like I'm alone and have no one.

• Hugs
Reactions: Notcutoutforlife, NoGameNoLife, Lennox and 1 other person
Alchemist

Alchemist

Warlock
Apr 3, 2019
Sometimes I just want to vent and talk to an actual person.. they don't even have to understand I just want to be listened to..
I feel so isolated because I feel like I am going through so much and there's no one around me to share it.
I get emotional a lot and I would start to cry out of nowhere, feel extremely sad and so desperate. Sometimes I just desperately want to talk to someone but I feel like I'm alone and have no one.
I know the feeling and I'm always available should you need it.

• Love
Reactions: Notcutoutforlife and AngelGirl
P

Painted Bird

...///...
Jul 15, 2019
@AngelGirl , I understand what you mean even though I don't feel the need to talk to people irl anymore myself. I used to feel lonely in my life many years ago and I know how badly it feels. If you decide to try to talk to those "Samaritans" or other hotline just be careful. I also think that it is more likely to find a caring, understanding person to talk to here than after giving some hotline zombie a try.

G

Grief

May 25, 2019
For the most part, the people that man the hotlines are very sensitive to those having mental health issues and can give you other resources. You can call the hotlines every day if you want and be heard. As mentioned before, realize that if you are very explicit about plans to harm, the police may be called. You can also call 211 to find services. 211 will dispatch people that can come and talk to you about your needs which is better than having the police show up.

21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
I asked this question once when chatting with the Dutch hotline a month ago. They assured me that they'll never send people to your doorstep.

When I was at rock-bottom a week later and 'on the edge' I chatted with them again. I was completely honest with them about my SN plan that I might execute that day and nobody showed up at my doorstep, so I trust them.

AngelGirl

AngelGirl

Cat
May 18, 2019
@AngelGirl , I understand what you mean even though I don't feel the need to talk to people irl anymore myself. I used to feel lonely in my life many years ago and I know how badly it feels. If you decide to try to talk to those "Samaritans" or other hotline just be careful. I also think that it is more likely to find a caring, understanding person to talk to here than after giving some hotline zombie a try.

I think the problem with me is that I just get so.... emotional. I have a bad social anxiety so I was unable to make a friend in the last 10 years or so and I was socially isolated. It's the life style I'm used to so I was fine with it. I always eat alone, go places alone, do things alone. Growing up with my extremely religious mom always taught me not to trust anyone as everyone else is evil and they will just try to harm me. Letting people into my life way too much can get me punished. My social anxiety also helped me with isolating myself.

I have had chronic depression but my depression started to get worse relatively recently, and I just get this wave of sadness, despair, frustration... everything negative and it just gets me out of nowhere. I could be doing things normally and all of a sudden I would burst into tears. I can't control it and it just gets me in most unexpected times. I have to stop whatever I was doing, and I can't function like a normal person. That's when I feel the strongest urge to talk to someone, not because I want them to save me from my suicidal thoughts, but because I hope they can make me feel calm at that moment.

Reactions: Painted Bird
P

Painted Bird

...///...
Jul 15, 2019
So you're a social outcast, @AngelGirl , similar to me. I have no friends and I'm fine with it, I made it my life style as well.
If your depression is getting worse and you feel the need to talk to someone then you should talk, just don't get hurt by talking to wrong person. I also hope that talking to people on this message board helps you in some way, even though it's not a conversation in real life. I'm sorry to hear about your emotional struggle.

• Love
Tazmaniac

Tazmaniac

Aug 6, 2019
For the most part, the people that man the hotlines are very sensitive to those having mental health issues and can give you other resources. You can call the hotlines every day if you want and be heard. As mentioned before, realize that if you are very explicit about plans to harm, the police may be called. You can also call 211 to find services. 211 will dispatch people that can come and talk to you about your needs which is better than having the police show up.
Your right...most of them are there so we have someone to talk to in a moment of crisis. I suspect very few people who are ready to go, ever call the hotline. The last thing I want is to be talked out of it, again, these people are trained and they know what they are doing...call and talk to someone, step out of your comfortable zone. Just be intelligent about it and have a conversation with someone who cares....might change your life :-)