N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am sick of watching ads. I use it (ad-blockers) everywhere where it is possible. I am a free-rider in many instances. For music of my preference I have to endure ads on Youtube that. They are cancer. I certainly won't buy youtube premium except I win the lottery.

I watch two shows with extremely many ads regularly. Here is my approach to circumvent it. I took a different browser, installed ad-blockers, added the two youtube channels to my favorites pinned them at the start. Now I switch the browsers for these two channels and watch the shows without being signed up in youtube. If you watch as an anonymous person without registration ad-blockers still work and hopefully will.

Hopefully I won't get sued for the hacker tips and tricks on an insane genius 3000 IQ move. A friend of mine watches youtube on his phone with a specific browser where the ads automtically get blocked. I am not a fan of youtube on phones so I don't know the app sadly.

I will exploit the system as long as possible. (and if it is still legal.)

• Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking, Forever Sleep, RainAndSadness and 2 others
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
Hasn't really been a problem for me so far (I use Firefox). When it happened on twitch I simply stopped using it, so if same happens on YouTube and I can't circumvent it I guess I'll just go somewhere else.

Reactions: LionsTigersAndBears and not-2-b-the-answer
R

Readytogohome

May 25, 2023
Brave browser on my ipad

Reactions: Temporal_Anchorite, LionsTigersAndBears and not-2-b-the-answer
_Broken_alice

_Broken_alice

She/Her
Nov 19, 2023
uBlock origin on Firefox. Works perfectly more than 99% of the time. When YT changes things, a quick update and filter reset makes it work again as the people working on it are very fast about fixing it. In the short periods it hasn't worked, we just avoid YT. We wouldn't mind watching limited ads at the beginning and end of a video ONLY and IF content creators didn't get the YT shaft on monetization. We used to run a whitelist for our fav channels and stopped that once YT shafted all but the largest of creators. (When yt started to demonetize channels but STILL running fucking ads on them with the creator getting literally nothing for it.) Also, spotify for music. Yes, it is a subscription, but we get enough use out of it to justify it as one of our only two subscriptions (the other being a vpn). And the audio-quality is so much better than YT with our setup that songs feel flat through YT due to compression.

Reactions: TheSpookyNameGuy, LionsTigersAndBears, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
Skathon

Skathon

"...scarred underneath, and I'm falling..."
Oct 29, 2018
Haven't even noticed it happening. I only use Piped and Invidious to access Youtube.

Reactions: LionsTigersAndBears and not-2-b-the-answer
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
I mostly use YouTube for music. I don't really care about a 8-10 second add. Sometimes I just turn off the volume until it's over. I would never listen to an add for minutes. Usually music adds are short.
At night I listen to sleep music videos, I have noticed few second adds during them if I happen to be awake.
That's irritating. The videos are usually 11+ hours though.

Reactions: LionsTigersAndBears
TheSpookyNameGuy

TheSpookyNameGuy

There's nothing here..
Apr 30, 2023
Ublock origin + Firefox with some filter lists added.

Easy as piss, as alice mentioned above

Reactions: Sprite_Geist and not-2-b-the-answer
Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Hopeless, but literally
Nov 14, 2018
uBlock Origin on Chrome for now, probably Brave after uBlock Origin stops working on Chrome in a few months.

Here's a link with instructions on how to keep uBlock Origin filters up-to-date:

Look for the video under "How to manually update the [uBlock filters - Quick fixes] list - video tutorial".

• Informative
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
this_is_it

this_is_it

Sep 19, 2023
Stopped watching YouTube on roku because their ads have gotten so obnoxious, now I just plug my laptop into the tv via hdmi and use YouTube on opera with adblock plus and sponsorblock. Ads on every streaming platform have also gotten too obnoxious so i use fmoviez instead of hulu or anything

• Informative
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Depends on whether I like the creator. If I do, I try to suffer them so that they get paid. If not and if the ad is a longer duration than the video (which sometimes happens,) I skip.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Every other ad is for Betterhelp. You know something is shit in the mental health world when therapists are willing to criticize it.

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Currently I use uBlock Origin and uMatrix together. So far there have been no issues when viewing videos on YouTube...

...for now.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I use Youtube on desktop in a browser with adblock and same on mobile in a mobile browser, not the app(!). No ads and no issues so far ... very convenient!

HowLongLeft?

HowLongLeft?

One way out of this suffering...
Oct 10, 2023
I just got a new ad block that works better.

R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Nothing we can do about the ads if we are on phones and want to use the app right?

All these companies became so ballsy by seeing what they are able to get away with.

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Hopeless, but literally
Nov 14, 2018
Nothing we can do about the ads if we are on phones and want to use the app right?
There's ReVanced. Here are some instructions:

• Love
Reactions: Skathon and R_N
IWishToDie

IWishToDie

I check notifications once per week
Dec 31, 2023
I am sick of watching ads. I use it (ad-blockers) everywhere where it is possible. I am a free-rider in many instances. For music of my preference I have to endure ads on Youtube that. They are cancer. I certainly won't buy youtube premium except I win the lottery.

I watch two shows with extremely many ads regularly. Here is my approach to circumvent it. I took a different browser, installed ad-blockers, added the two youtube channels to my favorites pinned them at the start. Now I switch the browsers for these two channels and watch the shows without being signed up in youtube. If you watch as an anonymous person without registration ad-blockers still work and hopefully will.

Hopefully I won't get sued for the hacker tips and tricks on an insane genius 3000 IQ move. A friend of mine watches youtube on his phone with a specific browser where the ads automtically get blocked. I am not a fan of youtube on phones so I don't know the app sadly.

I will exploit the system as long as possible. (and if it is still legal.)
Brave browser. Never get YouTube ads.

todienomore

todienomore

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2023
NewPipe on Android and Ultimate Media Downloader on the computer. U Block Origin is still working.

Theres also an app called Xtra for twitch. Both of those are on FDroid not Google Play

I forget ads exist