unknowngirl

Aug 9, 2024
last one tbh even though it sounds dumb

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Darkover
GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

The sun rises to insult me.
Jul 15, 2024
I picked the last, because it includes the first but is more general.

Reactions: Darkover
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I feel like 'something' has always been there. Space with stuff floating around in it. But- changing. Events like 'The Big Bang' changing things and creating new things. That makes more sense in my head than going from absolutely nothing to a shit load of 'stuff'. Plus- if there really is a God or, some other divine being(s)- where did they come from? Was there a time when they didn't exist?

Reactions: Serial Experi Pain, Jarni, littlelungs and 2 others
K

Kavka

Student
Jun 11, 2024
With my current knowledge and perspective, I'm pretty confident that the universe began with the big bang. Although I have never really found that to be a satisfying answer. It makes me wonder what the conditions were like before the big bang, or if that is even a redundant question because there was no time and therefore "before" in a temporal sense.

I find astronomy and (quantum) physics so mind-boggling and bizarre that I sometimes suspect that they're just trolling the public and making stuff up for a laugh.

• Yay!
Reactions: Serial Experi Pain, not-2-b-the-answer, littlelungs and 4 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Big bang

Reactions: 3/4Dead, not-2-b-the-answer and Darkover
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Serial Experi Pain, fleetingnight, 3/4Dead and 4 others
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
With my current knowledge and perspective, I'm pretty confident that the universe began with the big bang. Although I have never really found that to be a satisfying answer. It makes me wonder what the conditions were like before the big bang, or if that is even a redundant question because there was no time and therefore "before" in a temporal sense.

I find astronomy and (quantum) physics so mind-boggling and bizarre that I sometimes suspect that they're just trolling the public and making stuff up for a laugh.

Same, 100%, with some Spiritual But Not Religious™ thrown in there as well.

I just have such a hard time comprehending the concept of "no time", because how can the universe just... come from nothing? In my head, something had to have triggered or caused it? I know that there are some smarty pants theories for that, but they haven't really satisfied me, either. Also, the fact that space is a nearly perfect vacuum devoid of actual air and that smell and sound can't travel through space because of this is also particularly hard for me to wrap my earthly head around, not just because I'm cognitively in the shitter due to all-consuming pain and illness, but because I simply have nothing to relate any of this to, and it's all just so... yeah, like you said, bizarre.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
kyhoti

kyhoti

Looking for fair winds and following seas
May 27, 2024
I could only cast one vote, but these are simultaneously true in my mind.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023

• Yay!
Reactions: fleetingnight
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
@noname223
@Pluto (edit: sorry Pluto! Just realized you already posted! 👍
@Blurry_Buildings
@SmallKoy
@Praestat_Mori

Reactions: Blurry_Buildings and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Not that I know much about the physics and all that happened in the first few seconds after the universe came into existence but there was probably an imbalance in the quantum vacuum and an imbalance in matter/antimatter.

The universe is not expanding into space the universe itself created space and time. So to say the Big Bang happened at each point at the same time and the universe is still expanding.

Reactions: Darkover, DarkRange55, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
Voting for simulated, just because if simulated worlds exist, the odds that we are in one of many simulations seems a lot higher than the one real universe. If not I think something would have to exist that was not created, like god or the universe itself. Either of these could be existing in a time loop (or what mori said where time is generated by the universe with all times occuring at once).

Reactions: DarkRange55 and not-2-b-the-answer
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
@noname223
@Pluto (edit: sorry Pluto! Just realized you already posted! 👍
@Blurry_Buildings
@SmallKoy
@Praestat_Mori
I don't know shit. I barely know shit about politics. I try to avoid controversial takes on things I have no clue of.

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
Humans can't understand what was there before the big bang. the weak human brain thinks that this reality /universe / world is something , something really important . of course culture / society also has drilled every second from birth that how amazing wonderful important life the universe the world is. it isn't important wonderful amazing . it isn't worth it to wonder anything about it.

humans think that there had to be a cause.

i think its nothing important and life is just torture

Humans can't understand there being nothing and then something like the big bang . then the universe is expanding again to nothingness and it is .

I think it's just that the human brain is also just a weak machine and it tries to make a model of what the senses give it . Also culture downloads a lot of garbage false beliefs.

none of this matters. what it is . what it isn't . that it will be nothing . the only thing that matters to me is avoiding extreme pain and extreme suffering. i couldn't care anything about what it is how it came to be etc. . i do know it's not any god or computer simulation. but who cares really , the only reason i know it's not that is so i can be sure the laws of physics apply and that i can kill myself and cease to exist forever. if you think it could be a simulation or god etc then you can't be sure of reality so then how can you really do anything?

to me it's evil torture extreme pain that's it, something horrible to escape to get out of asap

Last edited:
Reactions: LifeQuitter, Talvikki, 3/4Dead and 2 others
Jarni

Jarni

Love is a toothache in the heart. H.Heine
Dec 12, 2020
I feel like 'something' has always been there. Space with stuff floating around in it. But- changing. Events like 'The Big Bang' changing things and creating new things. That makes more sense in my head than going from absolutely nothing to a shit load of 'stuff'. Plus- if there really is a God or, some other divine being(s)- where did they come from? Was there a time when they didn't exist?
Same thoughts.

Reactions: Forever Sleep and not-2-b-the-answer
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Not that I know much about the physics and all that happened in the first few seconds after the universe came into existence but there was probably an imbalance in the quantum vacuum and an imbalance in matter/antimatter.

The universe is not expanding into space the universe itself created space and time. So to say the Big Bang happened at each point at the same time and the universe is still expanding.
According to currently-popular theories.

Or could be existing in a time loop (or as said above, where time is generated by the universe
by our limited perception of one "now" in one universe.

Voting for simulated, just because if simulated worlds exist, the odds that we are in one of many simulations seems a lot higher than the one real universe. If not I think something would have to exist that was not created, like god or the universe itself. Either of these could be existing in a time loop (or what mori said where time is generated by the universe with all times occuring at once).
Why ONE real universe?

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, not-2-b-the-answer and 3/4Dead
3/4Dead

3/4Dead

Peace, Love, Empathy
Feb 27, 2024
Some stuff we just dont have answers to, i'm comfortable enough with that, honestly.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, not-2-b-the-answer and DarkRange55
H

HarryCobean

Apr 12, 2024
Not sure about "simulated by intelligent beings". "Simulated by idiots who made a hash of it", I could believe that...

• Yay!
Reactions: Darkover, sserafim, LifeQuitter and 4 others
H

Hvergelmir

Student
May 5, 2024
"Since events before the Big Bang have no observational consequences, one may as well cut them out of the theory, and say that time began at the Big Bang." - S. Hawking

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and not-2-b-the-answer
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
This was kind of a hasty type up, I probably made some mistakes bum-rushing this but whatever.

Do I believe in the Big Bang:

The Big Bang is currently the prevailing cosmological model supported by substantial evidence.
The Big Bang is an extremely dense state of high energy and it's an event on the smallest possible scale at the highest possible energy.
The part on the Big Bang fits with the few details that we do know about that era, so it might be right on the parts that we don't know.

Really you're extrapolating backwards through General Relativity and reaching a point of infinite density but GR begins to break down at this point. Other theories attempt to explain this like quantum gravity.

Assuming that the Big Bang occurred at the start of this universe, what existed before it was the potential for the existence of this universe.

The cyclic universe seems very reasonable, but I have no evidence. I don't know of any good evidence for a perpetual universe, but I still keep my mind open to it.

What was before: Presumably a vast sea of pure unstable energy drifting through an undefined spacetime grid.
Mass coalesced from energy to form bosons, mesons, gluons, etc., spacetime expanded.

The hypothetical conditions at the and of the universe, given current models, will match those at the beginning. This model has its flaws.

The Theory of Inflation is the most common for describing what happened at the beginning. It proposes an extremely rapid expansion of space moments after the Big Bang. The whole idea is as the universe cools you get broken symmetries.If you regress you get to a state of restored-symmetry. At this point, electroweak symmetry had not yet broken. So prior to expansion, the Higgs Field (the Higgs boson is a manifestation of this) wouldn't work under such extreme circumstances.
Particles without mass travel can at the maximum speed of the universe (light speed), so they have no "clocks," ala they experience no time. This makes an aeon and a second feel the same. Look into photons, they are massless. From their perspective, the moment the sun emitted it, the same moment it was absorbed. From our perspective, it took ~8 minutes. Without mass you don't have tools to measure the size of the universe.

I am pretty sure it is expanding. I'm less convinced that it underwent superluminal inflation when it was very young (there is a fair amount of evidence that it did, but not conclusive evidence). Distant parts probably are, but we can't see them when they are or after they do.
In contrast, "inflated" parts are currently visible.

You can call areas outside of the observable universe (our bubble) a parallel universe since it would never be reachable, or so we now think (current space-time laws). This is one version of the multiverse. If the universe is infinite then you have these areas that you're never going to reach so thats why in this sense a multiverse.
The speed of light is through space-time so we don't know if there's stuff beyond space-time. But in theoretical physics there is. The brane and the bulk so there's other actual potential physical dimensions. Things that connect blackholes, whats outside of things connecting them.
That is often seen as the lowest level of the multiverse and parallel universes.
I suspect that the multiverse includes universes with different laws as well as extensions of our universe.
The hypothesis I have considered the most recently is: Everything that can exist always exists, and the set of all things that can exist should properly be called the Omniverse. However we do not know whether what can exist forms a continuum, in which case the multiverse is the same as the Omniverse, or whether existences cluster, in which case our local cluster is the multi-verse and the set of all clusters is the Omniverse (and there may be levels of hierarchy in between).

The consensus for more than 40 years is that inflation happened before the Big Bang. There was this rapid expansion of space-time but the Big Bangis more actually like the dumping of energy into this place. Plank-order seconds after the Big Bang all of this was happening. The Big Bang doesn't have much to do with the expansion of the universe. It has a lot more to do with the dumping pf energy. Mass and energy are fundamentally related and they come from quantum fields. The expansion was already happening and we know the universe is expanding due to dark energy. The Big Bang is just the moment of creation in the sense of the stuff in this place that we know of. Before the Big Bang we know there was only inflation. We can only say from what we currently understand, what happened at the end stages of inflation. Before those final stages of inflation we don't know what happened. Some people think the universe might have started in a singularity. Before those final stages of inflation the universe was very small so people just jump to the logical conclusion of maybe it started in a singularity. Presumably quantum fields also existed before the Big Bang, so we don't know where they came from. It makes sense to say that outside of space-time itself there may not be time because time is part of this thing and its interwoven with space in some weird way. But that would be looking at General Relativity and taking what it says very seriously so it all gets very tricky.

We don't know what time is. If you look at time in the sense of General Relativity which is a great theory with a lot of evidence for it but then there's Quantum Theory which there's also a lot of evidence for and paints a very different picture of time. So they're the two ideas of time but we know they're both incompatible so what is time.
The part on time is often considered the greatest incompatibility between general relativity and quantum dynamics.

Some of those stars are so far away, that it takes their light millions of years to reach earth, and the stars themselves have already burned out so you're looking into the past.

Maybe it really is impossible to move through the observable universe given how big it is. We know for a fact that the universe is constantly expanding and we're going further and further past a certain threshold where we will never able to reach certain parts of the universe even with being able to travel at light speed. We know this is true if the universe keeps expanding the way it seems to be expanding now, but we do not know how the expansion will change in the future. We do not know if the local universe is truly infinite.

Inflation is one of the not-to-unreasonable possible answers to why the universe is as smooth as it is on large scales.
I do not believe it or disbelieve it, having insufficient evidence to reach a conclusion.

Space itself expanding explains the increasing redshift with distance, but I agree that it is not the only way to look at it.

I know of no evidence that the universe is contracting at large scales.
In contrast, there is considerable evidence that the universe is expanding at large scales, and some evidence that the expansion is accelerating (although another possibility is that type I supernovas were different at different times due to the different chemistries of the stars from which they formed).

But, as Einstein said, it is an extraordinarily persistent illusion

As far as I know, the universe is not expanding into anything , it is expanding into nothing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and not-2-b-the-answer
AbusedInnocent

AbusedInnocent

Enemy brain ain't cooperating
Apr 5, 2024
The big bang is basically proven and it doesn't contradict the other options.

As for what caused the big bang I really don't waste my time on metaphysical matters that are unprovable.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
The big bang is basically proven and it doesn't contradict the other options.

As for what caused the big bang I really don't waste my time on metaphysical matters that are unprovable.
It's not proven but it is the prevailing model and does have substantial evidence but it also has its problems. Inflation attempts to resolve the big ones. Not saying its wrong though…

See the section on issues and related problems:

I wouldn't necessarily consider that to be restricted to metaphysics but rather theoretical physics and mathematics. But yes, highly speculative currently

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, AbusedInnocent and not-2-b-the-answer
Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
Why ONE real universe?
thats a good point lol. Not to metnion reality itself is probably subjective contradicting my whole idea. If simulated worlds exist though I think that for each "real" universe that exists, there's likely many more simulated ones, driving up the odds that we are simulated by something

Reactions: sserafim
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
We do not know if the local universe is truly infinite.
I have a thought experiment regarding the infinity of the universe.

We see galaxies in all directions and we can see very young galaxies - they are the most distant ones bc we look back in time. The universe doesn't "end" behind those most distant galaxies in the direction we are looking. Those galaxies also evolved similarly to our galaxy and all other galaxies. Now, if we assume in one of those distant galaxies there's also an observer he would also see a universe in all directions like we do but he would see parts of the universe which we can never reach (see) due to the expansion. I hope that explains my thoughts in a way that can be understood.

If the universe is infinite then each point within the universe is the center of it.

Last edited:
Steff1337

Steff1337

Autistic and schizophrenic, please be respectful
Jun 21, 2024
I'm an unconventional Orthodox Christian, so I'll say created by God.