J

justletmedieplease

Jan 6, 2021
Mental abuse that left you emotionally broken? It went on for 17 years. Could I ever recover?

• Hugs
Reactions: Wrennie, _Kaira_ and botanormal
M

Miss_Takes

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Dec 4, 2020
I dont think you 'get over it' but I do believe most can recover at least to a degree if you can find the appropriate strands of help ... and these may or may not be the traditional routes. It comes down to what works for you and your ability to engage in the process fully.

• Love
Reactions: stygal, Wrennie and botanormal
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
i spent 16yr being abused after about 4 years om finally starting to get somewhere. its possible but its not easy

• Hugs
Reactions: justletmedieplease, Symbiote, Miss_Takes and 1 other person
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
I wish I could magically get over my abuse, but that's just wishful thinking on my part. Some days are bad, real bad, and other days are okay. The days that are okay is when I don't think of it much or I'm so preoccupied with something that it doesn't appear. When it's real bad, like today for example, I'm stuck in a tunnel with no end in sight except the voices, memories, and actions forcing me to relive the pain and shame of those days. Time will help you get over it....time by yourself that is. Including anyone into the web of abuse just makes things worse because they don't understand why you're having a bad day and that it has nothing to do with them.

Reactions: stygal and justletmedieplease
_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
I don't think I can, myself.

Personally I don't think anyone simply 'get's over' abuse. People handle things differently. Some are able to find the help they need and others can try to find help for years to no avail. I think you could recover, but it might take a lot of work and effort. I hope you do find comfort and find the help you need to recover. :heart: :heart:

• Love
Reactions: Wrennie
Darrenloses

Darrenloses

Student
Nov 27, 2018
All the abuse I put up with scarred me for life. its made me incredibly bitter I could snap.

• Hugs
Reactions: Wrennie, disabledandhopeless and justletmedieplease
Shero

Shero

Experienced
Dec 19, 2019
I don't, I channel and even direct it to myself.
I became my biggest abuser. At least this way no one can hurt me as much as I already do :)
It's a different approach that works for me. Destructive, but at the same time it serves the purpose of protection and shortening my end.

EDIT: I don't know your story, but there are alot of people that recover or "survive".

• Love
Reactions: Wrennie
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
I recommend seeking out therapy if you can. I notice that therapy has a bad rap on here, but I've personally benefited greatly from seeing my therapist over the past few months. I'm so sorry you've had to suffer for so long; I do believe recovery is possible for most people with the right tools and coping strategies

Reactions: stygal
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I personally didn't ever get over it and now it's pretty much too late to work on my resulting mental illnesses. They made my life really complicated and I should definitely have tried therapy methods or medication at some point.

In general I think that not getting over it but getting a way to live with it as best as you can is the way to go.

Misantrope

Misantrope

Jan 14, 2021
I can't.

That abuse led me into developing personality disorder and it will stay with me for the whole life..

My parents actually didn't trust in that diagnosis, they were in denial.. But still wanted to help, they would pay for my treatment, but my country offers none. DBT is not practiced here, so yeh I continue with my struggle. I'm 28 now and none of my symptoms have disappeared...

• Hugs
Reactions: muffin222