hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

<3 Message me to trade music <3
Nov 14, 2020
I listen to music every day and most of my time is spent searching for new music and that means a lot of listening to tunes I may not exactly enjoy to find the gems.
What methods do you use to find music?
I find youtube does not offer me what I need after having perused the channels which release music I may enjoy and I also talk to a lot of people online about music but I am reaching the point where I have for a long while been the person who shares and never finds new music from others.
I do not mind doing this as some people helped me this wayby sharing their love of music yet I still thirst for more music.
Spotify playlists and "bands other fans listen to" has been nearly exhausted for me as I know all the music for my niche sound.
I also constantly check music forums and reddit subs of the genera I like and so far I seem to only find new music that way as it is quite literally just new.
I am not daft enough t think I have heard it all I am just desperate to know how others find music when you know so much about your favourite sound.

• Love
Reactions: MindFrog, Sinkinshyp and KickFive
Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
I listen to music every day and most of my time is spent searching for new music and that means a lot of listening to tunes I may not exactly enjoy to find the gems.
I find youtube does not offer me what I need after having perused the channels which release music I may enjoy and I also talk to a lot of people online about music but I am reaching the point where I have for a long while been the person who shares and never finds new music from others.
I do not mind doing this as some people helped me this wayby sharing their love of music yet I still thirst for more music.
Spotify playlists and "bands other fans listen to" has been nearly exhausted for me as I know all the music for my niche sound.
I also constantly check music forums and reddit subs of the genera I like and so far I seem to only find new music that way as it is quite literally just new.
I am not daft enough t think I have heard it all I am just desperate to know how others find music when you know so much about your favourite sound.
What genres of music do you like?

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Explore pages and recommendations made by the algorithms of soundcloud and YouTube. That's how I find new songs or sometimes on Instagram. I usually try to find similar artists to the ones I like

Reactions: KickFive
KickFive

KickFive

Eins. Zwei. Drei. Vier....
Nov 23, 2020
I tend to have difficulty finding new music myself, I get most of my new stuff from Spotify suggestions and the occasional Reddit thread. Always interested in listening to new stuff, I recently got ahold of an Indian Love Song Playlist, that is low key hype, lol.

D

Deleted member 23374

deministrator
Nov 1, 2020
There's also the Internet Archive, TuneIn,Vimeo etc..

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
What genres of music do you like?
Want to DM and share music?

Explore pages and recommendations made by the algorithms of soundcloud and YouTube. That's how I find new songs or sometimes on Instagram. I usually try to find similar artists to the ones I like
had no idea instagram could do that as I never used social media.
I check last.FM as well I think and have found some obscure unknown music that way.

I tend to have difficulty finding new music myself, I get most of my new stuff from Spotify suggestions and the occasional Reddit thread.
What reddit sub do you use for music?

mr.smileysad

mr.smileysad

Student
Aug 29, 2020
I hear a song I like on the radio then search it up then I go through all the songs.by that band and pick the ones I.like and add them to one.of 4 constantly growing playlists

Sinkinshyp

Sinkinshyp

Paragon
Sep 7, 2020
I'm sorry OP I do not know other than if I hear it on the radio or youtube I'll look it up. It brought back memories though- does anyone remember myspace? it used to be amazing for music and hearing new stuff.

I just remembered pandora is great!

Last edited:
KickFive

KickFive

Nov 23, 2020
What reddit sub do you use for music?

The general /r/music sub, but also /r/hip hop, /r/dnb and /r/Electronica mostly, aside from the subs for specific artists. Also, Spotify is pretty trainable if you spend the time telling it what you don't like.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I only listen to video game music so I just wait for a new game to come out that would have music I'd be interested in.......

Reactions: kite
HopelessBorderline

HopelessBorderline

Alive but not living
Oct 29, 2020
Spotify playlists. Search your mood and a playlist comes up. Press Heart on the ones you like.

Then you can make up your own playlists.

The more you search for genres and artists, the shuffle engine taylors it's searches to suit what it thinks you'll enjoy listening too!

Reactions: KickFive
KickFive

KickFive

Nov 23, 2020
I only listen to video game music so I just wait for a new game to come out that would have music I'd be interested in.......

How about that Journey soundtrack? SOTC?

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
I'm sorry OP I do not know other than if I hear it on the radio or youtube I'll look it up. It brought back memories though- does anyone remember myspace? it used to be amazing for music and hearing new stuff.

I just remembered pandora is great!
Myspace I remember that!

Spotify playlists. Search your mood and a playlist comes up. Press Heart on the ones you like.

Then you can make up your own playlists.

The more you search for genres and artists, the shuffle engine taylors it's searches to suit what it thinks you'll enjoy listening too!
I have well and truly ran through Spotify for the type of music I like.
I imagine for pop genera's this would work fantastic.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sinkinshyp
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
I mostly listen to video game music and Japanese music.

If you want a new way to find music:
-Wikipedia has categories and examples of bands when you read about a genre. Then you can check the discographies and song names.

-Googling whatever you think of and any combination you want. (e.g. country + genre).

• Love
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
-Wikipedia has categories and examples of bands when you read about a genre. Then you can check the discographies and song names.

-Googling whatever you think of and any combination you want. (e.g. country + genre).
Wikipedia does not work for me any longer but great tip for others and I do google random country plus genera.

Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
If some of the music you like is sample based whosampled. com could be of interest. Listen to the original songs the samples are taken from and you might find yourself exploring new genres and artists you never thought you liked?

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
If some of the music you like is sample based whosampled. com could be of interest. Listen to the original songs the samples are taken from and you might find yourself exploring new genres and artists you never thought you liked?
I explore a lot of genera's and try to branch out but there is a certain genera I love and by looking through my music I fell in love with (memories) I can see they all allude to one specific genera mix I endlessly crave.
So I do listen to a lot of music.
I even try to find music I am not a fan of just to share when I talk with others who may like it.

Reactions: Studio84
K

KingoftheFreaks

Nov 21, 2020
The best thing I found recently is a playlist called the 3,000 greatest albums of all time

I've been listening to it alphabetical order since July. I am only down to M, Manic Street Preachers. I recommend it I've found loads of great new artists and albums in there

• Love
Reactions: Sinkinshyp
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
Actually thanks I am sure i will find some general music to add to my mind

demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
I use Pandora .. I make a "radio station" of an artist or song I already like and then Pandora plays songs by similar artists.

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
Does it work for lesser known obscure stuff?
I try so hard and get nearly no where for music.

demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
Probably not for anything extremely obscure but I have seen a good amount of lesser known stuff for my tastes.

Also have you looked at Bandcamp?

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
Mmmm. I guess I will keep chasing!!

newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
Try bands like depeche mode,banarama,the police,the clash,the talking heads,ministry,blondie,new order,duran duran,tears for fears,inxs,xtc,blancmange,bow wow wow,Adam ant,omd,spandau ballet,the b-52's,ultravox,OMD,the go go's,the bangles,oingo boingo, the motels,the Rembrandts,the the,the fixx, the fall, the church and altered images....just to name a few.

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Search "popular hits" by decade. It's how I discovered Nirvana a few years ago

UiopQwerty

UiopQwerty

Mage
Dec 17, 2020
I get all my music through the internet so to say. Peer 2 peer. Torrent. Ripped by me on site.
But I do have a quite big library of mp3 and such. (Metal, rock, industrial, classic.) :sunglasses:

Ewewewe

highndry

highndry

Jan 23, 2021
This - also worth noting most new music is released on a Friday - I make an effort to listen to new releases for at least a few hours every week :p