I

Intelligent_Lobster

I knew taking this picture would come in handy
Mar 30, 2019
Do they trigger you in any way?

Do you even believe in words being labelled as triggers? Personally, I'm working it overboard my moral code. I believe that other people can, and do, perceive words/slurs as a trigger. HOWEVER, I am not certain that I, myself, can clearly understand why a word read on the internet, can trigger PTSD. (Or, CPTSD).

The way I understand, and experience PTSD, is mostly through auditory "triggers". I.e: I have been raped before, but reading the word rape has a much less profound affect than *hearing* the word, especially if it's because a "survivor" is sharing their story.

Maybe this question is too controversial, and I'll just get shit on. That's why I'm posting it here, and not Reddit.

• Hugs
Reactions: Oblivion Lover, Wolfjob_dayjob, 200_ponies and 5 others
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
It doesn't matter what you (royal you) believe. If someone tells you they are triggered or hurt, by a word, sounds, whatever. then take them seriously rather than trying to undo them and "prove" them wrong because if they ARE legit then you are hurting them and that should never happen. People like to make it about themselves, feeling superior or not getting "fooled", and the victim gets lost in their ego shit. There is no need to use slurs other than for your own ego and power. Absolutely nothing good comes from them. It's just passing on hate. It's easy to NOT be a bigot.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Oblivion Lover, LivedTooLong, Wolfjob_dayjob and 6 others
I

Intelligent_Lobster

Mar 30, 2019
It doesn't matter what you (royal you) believe. If someone tells you they are triggered or hurt then take them seriously rather than trying to undo them and "prove" them wrong because if they ARE legit then you are hurting them and that should never happen. People like to make it about themselves, feeling superior or not getting "fooled", and the victim gets lost in their ego shit. There is no need to use slurs other than for your own ego and power. Absolutely nothing good comes from them. It's just passing on hate. It's easy to NOT be a bigot.
I agree, pardon me if it seems that I don't aha. Edit: Well, I don't agree on the only reason slurs are used is for ego tripping.. but the rest I do. Also, I don't understand what "(royal you)" means exactly. Are you using sarcasm?

I'm trying to think of it from an existential point of view I believe, which makes it harder to describe my question well.

• Love
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Thanatos and oopswronglife
T

Thanatos

Outsider
Mar 23, 2018
In an idealistic society they wouldn't exist but this hell is far from ideal and slurs are common. Realistically people dont owe you shit and they will say anything they want. One thing I can agree with is true freedom of speech without censorship. Btw not a "bigot" just not a fan of PC culture

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: ForeverDefective, Wolfjob_dayjob, not_a_robot and 2 others
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
One thing I can agree with is true freedom of speech without censorship. Btw not a "bigot" just not a fan of PC culture

The problem with this is it doesn't translate to a functional society. The shit people always ruin it for everyone else and the "just ignore them" thing doesn't work irl when you have to work, eat, live around them. There has to be some sort of limit and rule in a civil society or else the bad people always take it over because they will not self censor and behave like reasonable people. It's not PC in the derisive sense to have rules and standards.

Say you are eating in the only restaurant in town, and some alt-righters come in and start chanting horrible stuff, calling your daughter/sister a whore and saying what they'd like to do to her. Why should you, the peaceful person just trying to enjoy a meal with family, have to suffer that, or leave just to preserve their "freedom of speech"? Yet if they are removed people cry "censorship". Or why should someone have to suffer bullying, insults, attacks in any format so that some aggressor isn't "censored"? The aggressors use this to their advantage and abuse it impinging on other people's rights to peace and safety. They take everything and give nothing.

Not all opinions are valid. Not all behavior is valid. If everyone can do and say whatever they want without any limit then calm/polite/innocent people ALWAYS suffer for that.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Oblivion Lover, LivedTooLong, Wolfjob_dayjob and 1 other person
Deleted member 4288

Deleted member 4288

So much pain...
Dec 3, 2018
A word on Internet CAN actually trigger someone. Once I used to be depressed & could barely sleep for a week because I read a YouTube comment saying that "all gays should be killed". I thought that the whole world thinks like this and everyone hates me. But this is a mental illness. It's not okay to be triggered by words. If you're gonna care about what everyone thinks about you, you're digging yourself a very deep grave of suffering.

Thankfully I learnt to control my illness. Now if I hear or read "triggering" stuff I just shrug and move on. I'm gonna fuck off from this world soon and I have no time to worry about someone saying something, especially online.

The majority of humans don't give a crap about how an individual feels. It's exactly why humanity sucks, but it's just human nature. I get that.

I would never say anything that offends somebody unless they're being assholes to me first. In my opinion, if someone has no empathy for others, I don't think they deserve it either.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: exhausted, Oblivion Lover, LivedTooLong and 3 others
Divine Trinity

Divine Trinity

Pugna Vigil
Mar 20, 2019
There's a difference between FoS and acts of hostility or aggression. I don't think, to put it crudely, censorship is justifiable because it may hurt an individual's feelings, unless there's some sort of larger social context to it.

That being said, while you're in the right to call someone a whore, if said person punched you in the mouth in response I have no qualms in practice.

• Hugs
Reactions: Oblivion Lover, Intelligent_Lobster, not_a_robot and 1 other person
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

"i hope the leaving is joyful, & never to return"
May 30, 2019
I'm trans and I think I'm the only trans person on earth who doesn't fly into a hissyfit every time someone calls me "she" instead of "he". I honestly don't care. I know I still look mostly femme, regardless of what I "identify" as, and I am not the fucking Thought Police for other people. I fill out all my paperwork as trans but in conversation I still refer to myself as female because I know that's how others still see me, it doesn't bother me.
I think hatespeech is wrong when used to hurt others, but I wasn't put on earth to dictate what others are allowed to think and say.
I think believing that I get to dictate what others think and say would make me just as shitty as a person using hatespeech. I actually tend to treat all words equally just because it's a weird linguistic quirk of mine, I often affectionately refer to others and myself as "cunt" or "Motherfucker" all the time, and they always think I'm being mean for some reason. It can also be a compliment, a cunt is a lovely thing, and I loved my mom, so I wouldn't let just anybody fuck her.

I do think LGBTQs and minorities needed extra legal protection, though I don't know how much hate-crime laws really help that. But for too long lgbtq were so marginalized that it was easy to commit crimes against them because cops didn't care, same for minorities and prostitutes. I would rather deal with a few lgbtq hissyfits over speech from time to time, than ever see a return to the way they (we) used to be treated by society.
It doesn't matter what you (royal you) believe. If someone tells you they are triggered or hurt, by a word, sounds, whatever. then take them seriously rather than trying to undo them and "prove" them wrong because if they ARE legit then you are hurting them and that should never happen. People like to make it about themselves, feeling superior or not getting "fooled", and the victim gets lost in their ego shit. There is no need to use slurs other than for your own ego and power. Absolutely nothing good comes from them. It's just passing on hate. It's easy to NOT be a bigot.
Oh really.
So if I tell you the word "bigot" is my trigger for childhood bullying trauma, would you delete it?
Even if I had a full-blown teary-eyed hissyfit about it?
Or is there a different set of rules for you than the ones you want to dictate to everybody else?

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: exhausted, ForeverDefective, Wolfjob_dayjob and 3 others
I

Intelligent_Lobster

Mar 30, 2019
I'm trans and I think I'm the only trans person on earth who doesn't fly into a hissyfit every time someone calls me "she" instead of "he". I honestly don't care. I know I still look mostly femme, regardless of what I "identify" as, and I am not the fucking Thought Police for other people. I fill out all my paperwork as trans but in conversation I still refer to myself as female because I know that's how others still see me, it doesn't bother me.
I think hatespeech is wrong when used to hurt others, but I wasn't put on earth to dictate what others are allowed to think and say.
I think believing that I get to dictate what others think and say would make me just as shitty as a person using hatespeech. I actually tend to treat all words equally just because it's a weird linguistic quirk of mine, I often affectionately refer to others and myself as "cunt" or "Motherfucker" all the time, and they always think I'm being mean for some reason. It can also be a compliment, a cunt is a lovely thing, and I loved my mom, so I wouldn't let just anybody fuck her.

I do think LGBTQs and minorities needed extra legal protection, though I don't know how much hate-crime laws really help that. But for too long lgbtq were so marginalized that it was easy to commit crimes against them because cops didn't care, same for minorities and prostitutes. I would rather deal with a few lgbtq hissyfits over speech from time to time, than ever see a return to the way they (we) used to be treated by society.

Oh really.
So if I tell you the word "bigot" is my trigger for childhood bullying trauma, would you delete it?
Or is there a different set of rules for you than the ones you want to dictate to everybody else?
Very nicely put.

O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
Oh really.

I'm not sure what your point is with the snark...are you trying to "prove" me a liar or "wrong"? If you were truly offended by my words I would apologize for upsetting you and try to understand your point of view. If you were being totally unreasonable and just trying to start shit I would probably ignore it and move on. But I would never fight over it and try and beat you down as "wrong" for feeling hurt over that. You can take someone seriously without needing to "win". You can respect their feelings without having to debate them over it. You can NOT reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oblivion Lover, Wolfjob_dayjob and Intelligent_Lobster
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

May 30, 2019
I'm not sure what your point is with the snark...are you trying to "prove" me a liar or "wrong"? If you were truly offended by my words I would apologize for upsetting you and try to understand your point of view. If you were being totally unreasonable and just trying to start shit I would probably ignore it and move on. But I would never fight over it and try and beat you down as "wrong" for feeling hurt over that. You can take someone seriously without needing to "win". You can respect their feelings without having to debate them over it. You can NOT reply.
Nope not a liar, just a hypocrite. You (royal You, aren't you fancy!) do exactly what you accuse others of doing, try to make it all about yourself by making decrees for others' behavior which you would not adhere to yourself.
I'm triggered by the word bigot. It hurts me. Are you going to delete it?
I JUST replied.

Reactions: Pupuce, Thanatos and Intelligent_Lobster
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
Nope not a liar, just a hypocrite. You (royal You, aren't you fancy!) do exactly what you accuse others of doing, try to make it all about yourself by making decrees for others' behavior which you would not adhere to yourself.
I'm triggered by the word bigot. It hurts me. Are you going to delete it?
I JUST replied.

Not taking the bait sorry. You can find someone else to get your argument jollies from today. I am putting my money where my mouth is and moving on.

• Love
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

May 30, 2019
Not taking the bait sorry. You can find someone else to get your argument jollies from today. I am putting my money where my mouth is and moving on.
Pretending to be so righteous must suck when someone points out that you really aren't. Have a nice day.

Reactions: Thanatos
P

Pink Magic Archon

Jan 31, 2020
I'm trans MTF and all the derogatory terms/slurs for trans people horribly trigger me. Sometimes, albeit only very occasionally, I forget that I'm trans. But then someone uses the t word to remind that I'm not a real person and I will never be.

Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
I think they're gay

Reactions: Skathon and Pink Magic Archon