mosai1que

mosai1que

I know whats best for me
May 7, 2023
Saw a classmates (very recent looking) cuts today, im so fucking triggered but also i cant cut because its summer and people would notice and now im just sitting here feeling super uncomfortable i hate it

• Hugs
Reactions: cgrtt.brns
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
In my eyes that's an absolute no-go. Fresh cuts should always be covered, even if you just put a normal bandaid over it.
That was also the norm in the psych ward I was in. Scars and even bandaids, bandages, etc. always had to be covered by clothing, even if that was just one of those arm sleeves.

That's honestly also the border for me when it goes from cutting because of mental illnesses to cutting for attention (just to clarify again, this is for SH wounds and not scars). It is very disrespectful and inconsiderate of those people and I feel your pain with this. Especially since there is sadly nothing we can do.

• Love
Reactions: mosai1que
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

"Life's a mirror, but 'whose' mirror?"
Mar 23, 2023
Yes, like how to deal with people dealing with suicide. We all have moments of stress and despair from time to time, for some it passes.

If there is something that can take their thoughts elsewhere, maybe it will make them feel better.

Maybe also by being gentle towards them and reminding them that they are valuable people.

Last edited:
  • Love
mosai1que

mosai1que

I know whats best for me
May 7, 2023
In my eyes that's an absolute no-go. Fresh cuts should always be covered, even if you just put a normal bandaid over it.
That was also the norm in the psych ward I was in. Scars and even bandaids, bandages, etc. always had to be covered by clothing, even if that was just one of those arm sleeves.

That's honestly also the border for me when it goes from cutting because of mental illnesses to cutting for attention (just to clarify again, this is for SH wounds and not scars). It is very disrespectful and inconsiderate of those people and I feel your pain with this. Especially since there is sadly nothing we can do.
I know right. I cant blame them entirely, they were wearing short sleeves that covered, but every time they moved it was super visible. I thought it was common etiquette to not show wounds/cuts/whatever.
I have no doubt theyre in pain, i know a bit about whats going on in their life, but it sucks that thats the way they show it… idk its just a situation that sucks for everyone

• Yay!
Reactions: Valky
SleepingLessons

SleepingLessons

Always sleepy
Apr 29, 2023
Oh my god I had no idea. I've just started and have tried to hide them just because I know it can be distressing to see, but the antidepressants I'm on make me overheat and sweat like a motherfucker so I've not been the best about it. I really hope I haven't triggered anyone but I didn't realise that it was common etiquette. Thankful for this forum as a place to learn, and I'm so sorry.

Maybe they also don't know, by the sounds of it they tried to cover but it wasn't effective which they might not be aware of? If you felt brave enough you could always start a conversation with them about it, maybe even make a new friend in the process.

• Hugs
Reactions: mosai1que and cgrtt.brns
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
Oh my god I had no idea. I've just started and have tried to hide them just because I know it can be distressing to see, but the antidepressants I'm on make me overheat and sweat like a motherfucker so I've not been the best about it. I really hope I haven't triggered anyone but I didn't realise that it was common etiquette. Thankful for this forum as a place to learn, and I'm so sorry.
i totally get struggling to cover up because of heat, my antidepressants are a bitch during the summer lol. could it be possible to get bandages or big plasters to cover them so you can still wear what you want? or even making your own bandage out of some thin fabric?

• Hugs
Reactions: mosai1que and Valky
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023

Maybe they also don't know, by the sounds of it they tried to cover but it wasn't effective which they might not be aware of? If you felt brave enough you could always start a conversation with them about it, maybe even make a new friend in the process.
That's okay, I am sorry for acting out. Of course everyone's feelings are still valid if they do cut. And I am glad to have least given you some insight :) could you really just walk around with fresh wounds? Would no one be creepy towards you?

Don't be sorry. I just have a strong opinion about it because of the psych ward. Thank you for apologizing tho :)

And yes, it really does sound like they at least tried. A little bit of effort was there haha

• Hugs
SleepingLessons

SleepingLessons

Always sleepy
Apr 29, 2023
my antidepressants are a bitch during the summer lol. could it be possible to get bandages or big plasters to cover them so you can still wear what you want
Right!? Why are antidepressants like this... If you don't mind me asking, which ones are you on? And yeah that's the plan I think, probably going to look into cloth based wraps/etc. I did get bandages but they were itchy as hell and as soon as I'd drunk alcohol my self-control left my body and I ripped them off. Oops.

I am sorry for acting out. Of course everyone's feelings are still valid if they do cut. And I am glad to have least given you some insight :) could you really just walk around with fresh wounds? Would no one be creepy towards you?
No, absolutely no need to apologise. It's really good to hear from people who have been in the community for longer so I know what to avoid. I live in a country where people generally try to avoid uncomfortable social situations and will basically just pretend to have not seen. But I'd never want to unintentionally trigger somebody. I can only imagine what it must be like being surrounded by other people who self harm in a psych ward, I'm sorry you went through that!

SleepingLessons

SleepingLessons

Always sleepy
Apr 29, 2023
i dont mind, i currently take escitalopram :)
Interesting! I take citalopram which is also one of the newer SSRIs, so I wonder whether this is just an issue with them. Anyway, thank you!

• Love
Reactions: cgrtt.brns
mosai1que

mosai1que

I know whats best for me
May 7, 2023

Oh no dw dw. In my mind healed scars are compl ok, but fresh wounds are a bit jarring to come across out of the blue. I dont think anyone has bad intentions for showing their self harm (even if its 'for attention', they probably need some attention then). you seem like a really sweet person and not like someone who would intentionally cause anyone distress

I want to talk to them but im scared and akward and we're not in the same friend groups ahah :')

• Hugs
Reactions: SleepingLessons
SleepingLessons

SleepingLessons

Always sleepy
Apr 29, 2023
I want to talk to them but im scared and akward and we're not in the same friend groups ahah :')
I totally feel you, especially with something like this it can be so terrifying to approach someone. If you really want to talk to them maybe having writing up what you want to say beforehand would help? I'm sure if you're kind and show you're just trying to help they won't mind, they might even appreciate you talking to them about it. It is scary though!

• Love
iamalreadydead

iamalreadydead

Student
Nov 25, 2022
Used to trigger me but now it doesn't. As a teenager I had this friend that I still talk to who I thought was genuinely gorgeous, she used to cut herself and the first time I got a look at them I realized how intense they were. She got a lot of attention just for how boyish she was and soft spoken and just how intense she was and honest to god it triggered me more than anything in the world. I wanted to be her (? I might've been in love with her idk lol) and I think it sort of pushed me to self harm, although I'd been chronically suicidal since I was 8 i never had the proper introduction to self harm till a while afterwards, and I don't know. I guess she just planted this thing in my head where I thought I'd get the help and attention I needed if I did it and if they were intense enough.

Now though, I know no one gives a fat fuck, I still hurt myself because obviously it's an addiction. If anything it just makes you a fucking target in the real world, delegitimizes you as a person to stupid people, and I kinda regret starting.