body_snatcher

body_snatcher

green and lonely
Jan 23, 2023
I genuinely want to get better, I really do. But I've struggled with a sense of aimlessness and confusion my entire life. I can't discover my purpose, or any deeper meaning. I need a reason to stay here, I don't want to be on this planet just because I'm too afraid to CBT.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Cherry Crumpet, Joarga, ItsMeBlank and 7 others
carnivalforone

carnivalforone

Experienced
Sep 29, 2023
word for word agreed

• Hugs
Reactions: tiger b and Dangerdonkey333
puella

puella

she/they
Oct 5, 2023
I don't think a deep meaning exists, personally. But that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Stick around to experience the beauty and joy the world can bring.

I know suffering can make you feel like you are drowning, fathoms beneath where good can exist. I believe in your ability to recover. I am so proud of you for trying. 💚

• Love
Reactions: Cherry Crumpet, tiger b, Dangerdonkey333 and 2 others
Ksmиda

Ksmиda

Have I died too soon or lived too long?
Oct 23, 2023
Sometimes you don't know what your purpose is, and that's ok. Nobody has found an objective meaning to life yet.
Trying to figure out your purpose is hard, either you will find something that gives you purpose, or it will come to you eventually. Or, you might not figure it out at all, and that's ok.
Personally, I don't really have a deeper meaning in life yet. I only have a couple of vague ideas of what I should do, and that is: to discover the nice things in life and to improve the world in some way, so that others won't have to struggle as much.
Best of luck and I hope you find a reason to stay.

• Love
Reactions: Cherry Crumpet, Forever Sleep, Vesiira and 1 other person
DEATH IS FREEDOM

DEATH IS FREEDOM

Death is the solution to unsolvable problems.
Sep 13, 2023
There is no purpose, no deeper meaning. I have done my best. I have done what I could do in a world of injusticies. But everything is limited in time and everything will die.

achb

achb

I am Clive
Oct 23, 2023
There is no meaning of life beyond what you ascribe to it. For a lot of people, life is a "challenge" given to them by God. Or the purpose of life is to make a mark that will be remembered. Or to minister kindness. Or to achieve their goals. Etc etc.

For me, the purpose of life is to enjoy it and help people I like enjoy it. But I fail miserably at that lol. I try a lot, but it's hard, and sometimes seems impossible.

And meaning and purpose don't have to be some grandeur or permenant thing. It can be ever changing. Maybe the meaning of your life right now is to take care of a pet or smth (I see a lot of people on this site living for their cat).

• Hugs
Reactions: Vesiira and Dangerdonkey333
CuriosityAndCat

CuriosityAndCat

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Nov 2, 2023
That feeling is a part of depression. if you told a psychologist they'd probably diagnose that as dysthymia. If you're not depressed, you don't feel the need to find a reason or purpose. Doing things feels good. Planting a garden feels good, going for a walk feels good, even shopping can feel good. You don't really have to push to do stuff. It sounds implausible without experiencing it. You need a reason you want to die instead of a reason to live. I got that this year with help from psychologist and psychiatrist. However, I'm still not stable and having issues with medication.

• Hugs
Reactions: Vesiira
Dangerdonkey333

Dangerdonkey333

Crann Bethadh
Nov 19, 2023
I feel exactly the same. And it's not even for lack of things I'm interested in. The amount of energy and effort it takes is beyond me to give. Just little bits and pieces here and there. Any luck I've had though was from little things. Try to find something no matter how stupid or insignificant it seems and hyper focus on it. It might get exhausting, but you will only get better at it the more you do it. Besides, it's fun being the go to person for a specific thing. No matter how obscure it is.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Cherry Crumpet and Vesiira
vipatherappa

vipatherappa

Student
Feb 28, 2023
I genuinely want to get better, I really do. But I've struggled with a sense of aimlessness and confusion my entire life. I can't discover my purpose, or any deeper meaning. I need a reason to stay here, I don't want to be on this planet just because I'm too afraid to CBT.
Are there things you enjoy or take pleasure in? I think it's worth staying to continue experiencing them. CTB is a final solution to all your problems but you also stop being able to experiencie anything that brings you happiness, joy, pleasure, contentment, etc.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Cherry Crumpet and Vesiira
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
I really recommend The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus. It has helped me a lot.

• Love
Reactions: TransilvanianHunger and AllCatsAreGrey
nivis...

nivis...

Oct 17, 2023
try new things, maybe something will catch on and you'll enjoy it.
starting out sucks with most stuff, but if it brings you a bit of joy than you can focus on it and try to get good at it, maybe it will give you a reason to live.
try looking for friends with same hobbies, hanging out outside with friends is healthy.

Reactions: Dangerdonkey333
hopelessgirl

hopelessgirl

Happy Unbirthday
Oct 12, 2021
Currently working on that with my psychiatrist. He said relationships, work, hobbies and spirituality can give meaning. And also being aware of the story of your life.

Last edited:
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
By not focusing on "meaning" and just try to hit the hedonistic sweet spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dangerdonkey333, Cherry Crumpet and Cloud Busting
thx1138

thx1138

Student
Jun 28, 2019
The thing that's stopping you from CTB can be your meaning. Family? Goals? Relationships? Duty? Even the fear of death. Who cares if it sounds valid or not. It's your life, you should do whatever you want.

Vesiira

Vesiira

Dreaming Of Being Buried
Nov 7, 2023
It's honestly so confusing trying to find a deeper meaning to things. I completely understand how you feel. Sometimes there really isn't one and that makes it so much more frustrating. I try and do whatever I can to distract myself from thinking about my meaning. Things that help me feel like I have some is when I support others. When people rely on me and appreciate my help, that gives me a sense of purpose and meaning. Sounds sad, but true! I know it's hard to support others when you're down though, it's not easy. I hope you find that thing that helps you work towards getting better. <3

• Hugs
Reactions: Dangerdonkey333 and Cloud Busting
A

aquasaltstripes

Jul 2, 2023
I don't know. I think and feel sometimes that I want to improve and get better to. But I dunno. I don't know how people enjoy life and achieve ecstasy or self-actualization. Life for me right now is just a bunch of mindless distraction/entertainment, and I don't really know how to dig myself out from that admittedly toxic way of living and looking at things. But when I'm not rationalizing or spiraling or snowballing or self-pitying and zero in on life, on a song or something I'm reading or whatever, it feels awesome, I feel awesome, so vivid, real and raw and alive. One of the main things stopping me from killing myself I think is a friend I just recently made. I like hanging out with them, and I know I'm lucky as shit to have them right now, being lonely and utterly friendless for near a decade now. I dunno where I'm going with this. Baby steps I guess. It really is the small things, as corny as it sounds. The more I chase some grand sense of meaning, the shittier and emptier I feel.

There's a piece of advice I've read on the internet I find interesting (though I admittedly have a hard time applying it and remembering it): Start a pile of good things. Add one good thing to your life as often as you can. Consistency and reliability are the key things here. That could be cup of coffee in the morning, a favorite album or song, YouTuber, friend, anime, show, video game — whatever. As long as it makes you happy or fulfilled or satisfied or just feel something a little real somehow.

• Love
Reactions: Dangerdonkey333 and Cherry Crumpet
ItsMeBlank

ItsMeBlank

Binary Dreams.
Jun 6, 2023
There is no absolute purpose to anyone.
Separation of reason and meaning should be the first step I guess.
Existence is meaningless anyways. What actually seek is a reason to make life worth living for, and that's a journey we must take on our own. Will it be hard ? Maybe. Will it change with the passage of time ? Definitely.
Some people find it in money, some seek spirituality or religion, while some look for it in the form of love, but there's no true reason or an absolute purpose or meaning to life. It's meaningless so there's room for for you to create your own meaning and find your own reasons. (It's called optimistic nihilism, I guess so)

Life is not linear there are ups and downs.
What suits you is upto you.
Hope you find it someday. Create it yourself. I know it can be tough, and sometimes all hope will feel lost. But it might get better.
I'll trust you on that part 🤜🤛

Reactions: Dangerdonkey333 and Cherry Crumpet