unsaiddes

unsaiddes

Apr 25, 2023
I have a mediocre paying full-time WFH desk job in project management, with high levels of responsibility and high volume of tasks that causes me severe stress. I'm scared of quitting because I've convinced myself if I quit I'll never find another job and be unemployed until I die. But it's gotten to the point where the stress is affecting my physical health as well as mental health.

For those on this forum who also have high stress jobs, whatever your field or position may be, how do you manage it? Do you experience anxiety, do you talk to your coworkers or boss about it, what is your threshold for a job not being worth the stress? What are your coping mechanisms - and what does or does not help?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Rocinante, Sweet Tart, Huntfish34 and 1 other person
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
I have a mediocre paying full-time WFH desk job in project management, with high levels of responsibility and high volume of tasks that causes me severe stress. I'm scared of quitting because I've convinced myself if I quit I'll never find another job and be unemployed until I die. But it's gotten to the point where the stress is affecting my physical health as well as mental health.

For those on this forum who also have high stress jobs, whatever your field or position may be, how do you manage it? Do you experience anxiety, do you talk to your coworkers or boss about it, what is your threshold for a job not being worth the stress? What are your coping mechanisms - and what does or does not help?
Before I retired I had a job that was often very demanding, and sometimes stressful as a result. But I enjoyed my work, and I have the kind of personality that can cope with (that kind of) stress. I think the first question you need to ask yourself is: Would other people cope better with the job than you do? If other people can do the job much better than you, you are replaceable, and your company will be willing to let you go. But if it's going to be stressful for anyone, you are in a good position to ask for a pay rise, or a reduction in workoad, or both. In that case, make sure that the company knows they won't get anyone better than you - then play hardball. The second question is: Do you actually like the work? If you really don't like it, then no amount of pay will make up for that, and your best choice might be to start looking for a different (and less demanding) job.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Rocinante, Huntfish34, unsaiddes and 1 other person
Blue_mist

Blue_mist

Mortal
Apr 14, 2021
I had 2 stressful jobs in health care field, i couldn't cope with the pressure and abuse from patients so i just simply quit without even giving 2 weeks notice and now I'm working as office cleaner after hours, yes I'm struggling financially because of my decision but I'd have lost my sanity had i kept doing my previous job.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Rocinante, Huntfish34, unsaiddes and 1 other person
The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
No, I wouldn't confide in anyone at work, because most workplaces are toxic. Backstabbing people everywhere.
Is the job worth risking your health for ?
Only thing I can think of is find some meds that may help.
Sorry you are going through this.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Rocinante, Huntfish34 and unsaiddes
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I've done two middle management roles that I found stressful. To be honest- I just used to work the entire time. I'd get home in the evenings and keep working. I'd work weekends. I just felt like I'd prefer to be tired rather than stressed feeling like I didn't have enough time to get everything done. I REALLY wouldn't suggest that though- companies will just start to expect it after a while.

If you're REALLY struggling and you know the workload is unreasonable- I'd suggest saying something. In the end- I told them I was finding it hard to cope with the amount of work- so it was likely I would start making mistakes or producing substandard work. They knew all along it was too bigger job for one person- they had even said as much to a colleague! So- they didn't put up much resistance in getting me more help. If it's high tension/ high stress though. That's also tricky. Just know you can only do your best. Try not to get too overwhelmed because that may well lead to mistakes- which make matters worse. And yeah- again- if it's unreasonable- tell yourself that- and them if appropriate- you'll do your best of course but you're only human. My friend likes to say- 'Not my circus- not my monkeys' when things get too much!

• Love
Reactions: The anhedonic one, Rocinante and unsaiddes
kaleidoscopedreams

kaleidoscopedreams

waste of space-space of waste
Jun 10, 2023
I've been in customer service for the last 9 years & I can fully say that it never gets easier. It's extremely hard to work in the US as any sort of customer service experience, the way society has acted & treated those who work in the field is absolutely abhorrent & disgusting. Currently I am a server, long hours, shit pay. I just smoke a lot of ouid & try to forget about it all. I used to b a heavy drinker for the 2 years but I've since stopped.

• Love
Reactions: The anhedonic one, Rocinante and unsaiddes
Zulu

Zulu

Aug 10, 2022
Simple. If I don't work, I die. There is no other realistic solution. Stressful, yes, but you get used to that deadly seriousness after a while. When you have no other option, you go at it full force because there literally is no other option. Life or death; at least, that's how it feels to me. But, that is perhaps the truest irony: I'm already dead on the inside. When work consumes every waking moment of one's life, one is already a failure at life, like me :D I'm physically alive, but so very dead inside. Burn your soul for economic prosperity, as they say.

• Love
Reactions: The anhedonic one and Rocinante