BlackWednesday

BlackWednesday

Student
Oct 18, 2022
I work a full time job and after working 9 hours, driving for 2 hours and doing what ever I have to do at the house I have no energy or will to do anything except play video games or sit at my computer. During the weekend I'm too tired or anxious about work to enjoy myself. How does everyone else find it so easy to maintain active social lives and relationships and hobbies while working full time? Some people even work second jobs or do part time degrees. I couldn't even dream of doing such a thing.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, ryo the frog, pthnrdnojvsc and 20 others
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
I work a full time job and after working 9 hours, driving for 2 hours and doing what ever I have to do at the house I have no energy or will to do anything except play video games or sit at my computer. During the weekend I'm too tired or anxious about work to enjoy myself. How does everyone else find it so easy to maintain active social lives and relationships and hobbies while working full time? Some people even work second jobs or do part time degrees. I couldn't even dream of doing such a thing.
I'm right there with you, I know damn well I don't want to keep living like that either.

• Aww..
Reactions: ryo the frog, heavyeyes, drainganggggg and 4 others
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
I think a lot of this comes down to what your job is like and how used you are to it. Not all jobs are so exhausting that you spend all weekend just coming to your senses. In fact, I'd say that if you've been in your job for while, you're past the stage of "learning the ropes", you aren't actively trying to get promoted and there isn't some specific crisis at your workplace requiring your extra attention - and you still get so exhausted over the week that you don't feel like doing anything on the weekend - then your job might not be a good fit for you (although I completely understand why we can't always be picky). Or maybe it's not about the job, and you're just depressed, or have some physical health issues. Also, not everyone has overwhelming anxiety about work, most people forget about it as soon as they walk out of the door and certainly don't spend their weekends worrying about their upcoming workweek.
I wonder how long have you been working at this job?
I do know some amazing people that are just bursting with energy and manage to have very active social lives and interesting hobbies on top of working a full time job, and I'm amazed at how they managed it too. But it's not something everyone does. As far as I can tell - and I know it sounds depressing - most adults don't have very active social lives or demanding hobbies, both of these things become drastically less common in people past college age. Because it indeed isn't easy to find energy for everything.
I get it. I work two jobs and I have no social life or interests outside of hanging out on this forum, and I only spend so much time on this forum because I work from home and get online when I'm on the clock because I'm frankly too depressed to give a damn. Being too tired for everything absolutely sucks, I get moody whenever I need to do a smallest thing on top of my daily routine, be it a little extra shopping, a family meeting, or a visit to a doctor. Sometimes even phone calls feel tiring and overwhelming. I'm sorry things are so hard for you. There's a chance you might adjust to this rhythm of life a little better eventually.

Reactions: heavyeyes, OpheliasFlowers, almaranthine and 3 others
Alayna

Alayna

Close
Oct 11, 2022
Our bodies simply aren't wired to maintain those kinds of energy levels. I don't know how so many people do it either; what I do know is that the majority of them will suffer burnout at some point. And you won't see it because our culture doesn't want us to see it, lest we collectively decide that it's actually just all too much.

Reactions: drainganggggg, Endex, Justnotme and 2 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I guess that everyone is different after all. It's impossible to be able to really understand how others experience life as we cannot see life from the same perspective as them. As humans we all have different limits as to what we can cope with.

That kind of lifestyle sounds depressing to me. I see no value in being constantly 'productive' all of the time. To me life is completely worthless and it leads nowhere. Humans spend so much of their lives working just to deteriorate from old age. All those people with those busy lives will likely eventually get health problems that take everything away from them, and cause them to suffer so extremely. Life is so unpredictable after all, and we only exist just to die and lose everything. I could never envy anyone who still exists, I only envy those who are finally free from this world.

Reactions: Kurai, waitingtodie, sadandlonely and 4 others
J

jjwtn26

Oct 7, 2022
I dont know how people do it. For me, working is the biggest reason I want to ctb. On weekdays after I get off work I basically do nothing because I'm in such a poor mood and i feel drained. On Friday afternoon and saturday morning my mood slowly improves. Sometimes I can find something to do on saturday afternoon, though usually I'm just bored. By sunday the dread of going back to work gets so strong I simply dont feel like doing anything. Then on monday it's back to my job to do it all over again.

• Aww..
Reactions: Un-, OpheliasFlowers, Endex and 5 others
ZRA

ZRA

Oct 11, 2022
I think the whole "they'll eventually burn out" thing is honestly cope. It's not really a miracle for someone to endure a difficult set of circumstances; people, broadly speaking, extend themselves as far as they need to so that they can accomplish what is demanded of them. Those of us on this forum are speaking from a mental state where this sort of response is unlikely, but switch to the recovery section and you'll see that plenty bounce back.

It's important to remember that most people are generally pretty happy. I can't tell you how much I hate this fact, but it's the truth. There is no cosmic law of balance.

Reactions: Un-
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
There's 168 hours in a week (Monday-Sunday).

Let's say you work 40 hours a week over 5 days of the week, so 8 hours each day from Monday-Friday. You spend an hour getting ready each morning so that's 5 hours and then it takes you roughly an hour to get to and from work each day, another 5 hours. So right there you've got 50 hours wasted solely on work (and for some people this number would be even bigger depending on how many hours you work each week).

On those work nights (Sunday night-Thursday night) let's assume you average about 7 hours of sleep each night, there's 35 hours right there. Now let's add that onto our 50 hours from above, that's 85 hours. There's half of your week gone right there!

You obviously still have to sleep on Friday and Saturday night but let's say you stayed up an hour later than you do on a work night, that's 12 hours wasted on sleep over those two nights. I don't know if that should be grouped with our hours accumulated above or not but the running total for wasted time now sits at 97 hours.

Let's say you spend 1 hour each night on cooking dinner, eating it and then cleaning up. 7 hours right there. Then let's say you spend about 3 hours each week tidying your house (unless you're a slob), let's say an hour on grocery shopping and let's assume even when you're off work that you'll spend roughly 5 hours doing other miscellaneous jobs that you'd rather not do along with the ones we've already mentioned. Right there we have a total of 16 hours, another 2/3 of a day wasted. and our grand total comes to 113 hours! but for the sake of it let's round that up to a clean 5 days.

so, each week that you're working full time you will waste 5 days on insignificant garbage (and that's if you're lucky). That leaves us a total of 2 days per week to do with whatever we please (if there is anything you really enjoy doing, for me I have nothing that I enjoy doing).

That means that over the entire year (365 days) only 104 of those days actually matter.

The economy is in absolute shambles and presumably will stay that way moving forward, but let's assume that somehow you're able to retire after only 45 years of working full time. With the calculations we've done above that means that out of 16,425 days, a mere 4,680 of those actually matter. Just over 1/4 of your working life is going to be "enjoyable". (approximately 13 years).

but hey, you're retired now! and let's say with advances in medicine over those 45 years and some good genetics you're going to live another 30 years! However, how much "living" will you actually be doing? You're well past your prime and at this age you'll start to experience a plethora of health issues. For the sake of this let's assume you're one of the luckier ones, for the first 10 years of your retirement you'll have 4 "good days" a week, that's 208 good days a year for a decade, which all up is 2,080 days. Now for the last 20 years of life let's say that you'll only have 2 of those "good days" a week, that's 2,080 days over the 2 decades. Add those two together and that means that over your 30 years of retirement, which is 10,950 days, only 4,160 of those will be enjoyable.

Now, it's time for the grand total. Over 75 years of adult life (27,375 days) only 8,840 of those days will be enjoyable and worthwhile living (roughly 24 years) IF YOU'RE LUCKY! so essentially not even 1/3 of your adult life will be enjoyable.

TLDR: Life is a joke and were being scammed.

Excited Mark Mckinney GIF by Superstore

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 4am, Hollowman, pthnrdnojvsc and 12 others
almaranthine

almaranthine

Wizard
Nov 28, 2019
There's 168 hours in a week (Monday-Sunday).

Let's say you work 40 hours a week over 5 days of the week, so 8 hours each day from Monday-Friday. You spend an hour getting ready each morning so that's 5 hours and then it takes you roughly an hour to get to and from work each day, another 5 hours. So right there you've got 50 hours wasted solely on work (and for some people this number would be even bigger depending on how many hours you work each week).

On those work nights (Sunday night-Thursday night) let's assume you average about 7 hours of sleep each night, there's 35 hours right there. Now let's add that onto our 50 hours from above, that's 85 hours. There's half of your week gone right there!

You obviously still have to sleep on Friday and Saturday night but let's say you stayed up an hour later than you do on a work night, that's 12 hours wasted on sleep over those two nights. I don't know if that should be grouped with our hours accumulated above or not but the running total for wasted time now sits at 97 hours.

Let's say you spend 1 hour each night on cooking dinner, eating it and then cleaning up. 7 hours right there. Then let's say you spend about 3 hours each week tidying your house (unless you're a slob), let's say an hour on grocery shopping and let's assume even when you're off work that you'll spend roughly 5 hours doing other miscellaneous jobs that you'd rather not do along with the ones we've already mentioned. Right there we have a total of 16 hours, another 2/3 of a day wasted. and our grand total comes to 113 hours! but for the sake of it let's round that up to a clean 5 days.

so, each week that you're working full time you will waste 5 days on insignificant garbage (and that's if you're lucky). That leaves us a total of 2 days per week to do with whatever we please (if there is anything you really enjoy doing, for me I have nothing that I enjoy doing).

That means that over the entire year (365 days) only 104 of those days actually matter.

The economy is in absolute shambles and presumably will stay that way moving forward, but let's assume that somehow you're able to retire after only 45 years of working full time. With the calculations we've done above that means that out of 16,425 days, a mere 4,680 of those actually matter. Just over 1/4 of your working life is going to be "enjoyable". (approximately 13 years).

but hey, you're retired now! and let's say with advances in medicine over those 45 years and some good genetics you're going to live another 30 years! However, how much "living" will you actually be doing? You're well past your prime and at this age you'll start to experience a plethora of health issues. For the sake of this let's assume you're one of the luckier ones, for the first 10 years of your retirement you'll have 4 "good days" a week, that's 208 good days a year for a decade, which all up is 2,080 days. Now for the last 20 years of life let's say that you'll only have 2 of those "good days" a week, that's 2,080 days over the 2 decades. Add those two together and that means that over your 30 years of retirement, which is 10,950 days, only 4,160 of those will be enjoyable.

Now, it's time for the grand total. Over 75 years of adult life (27,375 days) only 8,840 of those days will be enjoyable and worthwhile living (roughly 24 years) IF YOU'RE LUCKY! so essentially not even 1/3 of your adult life will be enjoyable.

TLDR: Life is a joke and were being scammed.

Excited Mark Mckinney GIF by Superstore
I am baffled that there are people out there who happily accept these terms and aren't depressed by these facts. It really blows my mind. Scam indeed.

• Hugs
Reactions: Hollowman, Un-, Endex and 4 others
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
I am baffled that there are people out there who happily accept these terms and aren't depressed by these facts. It really blows my mind.
A lot of resentment about having to spend so many time on chores comes from not really having much to look up to in the moments of free time. If nothing exciting or even enjoyable happens and you just spend them trying to waste time, then everything begins to feel like a chore. Doing something you genuinely enjoy for roughly 1/3 of your life actually doesn't sound that bad, at least to me, even if the rest of the time is eaten away by the mundane. But if it's 1/3 of staring at the ceiling and trying to focus on a random TV show to ward off dark thoughts and then 2/3 of chores, then yeah, screw living like that.

Reactions: Un-, ColorlessTrees, lachrymost and 1 other person
E

eldiablo666

Evil Always Prevail
Sep 25, 2022
I think a lot of people use drugs for the energy.
I could be wrong tho but I share your views that it's remarkable how some people can go like forever without sleep or rest.

Reactions: OpheliasFlowers and GrumpyFrog
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
You become a cog in a vast machine, if you fail to work you lose everything. They tell you work hard and you can achieve success. Like slavery you must work until you drop. You make minor sums of money for yourself and huge profits for the corporation. Then those feeble earnings you get are creatively scammed out of you with scams like car insurance, health insurance, medical care, dental care, water bills, outrageous gasoline and food prices. Of course those pay check deductions like taxes, SS, and Medicare also screw you over. Then if you try to get ahead via the stock market, or say Bitcoin, you will more often than not lose money their too. And then people wonder why do many people commit suicide? The sheer greed of professionals and corporations trying to get your money have made the modern version of capitalism into modern slavery with no way to escape, save suicide. The game they force you to play is rigged.
You become a cog in a vast machine, if you fail to work you lose everything. They tell you work hard and you can achieve success. Like slavery you must work until you drop. You make minor sums of money for yourself and huge profits for the corporation. Then those feeble earnings you get are creatively scammed out of you with scams like car insurance, health insurance, medical care, dental care, water bills, outrageous gasoline and food prices. Of course those pay check deductions like taxes, SS, and Medicare also screw you over. Then if you try to get ahead via the stock market, or say Bitcoin, you will more often than not lose money their too. And then people wonder why do many people commit suicide? The sheer greed of professionals and corporations trying to get your money have made the modern version of capitalism into modern slavery with no way to escape, save suicide. The game they force you to play is rigged.

• Love
Reactions: brokensea and Smart No More
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
May I drop a little musical recommendation in here?

Pink Floyd -
-Welcome to the Machine
-Money

In fact a large portion of their songs hit this particular nail on the head.

Rage Against the Machine, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Endex
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
we don't get to live if you count working as living and i certain don't we barely get any time to actually live anyway, everything revolves around money the vast majority just slave away to keep slaving away it's a circular existence just locked into survival mode keep working to keep on living when your not even really living your just slaving away to keep on slaving away its pointless it be better to never existed in the first place survival for what to just die in the end anyway

168 hours per week 24*7
56 hours a sleep 8*7
63 hours working 9*7
14 hours cooking and eating and cleaning 2*7
thats 133 hours total
leaves 35 hours a week spare
you get little over a day to live per week most people just watch tv

Last edited:
Reactions: Hollowman, pthnrdnojvsc, sadandlonely and 3 others
E

Eternal Oblivion

Student
Nov 23, 2021
I absolutely always HATED having to work. I don't find anything enjoyable about it and I wish I didn't had to do it. I would prefer to waste my life gaming instead of working.

gomenasai

gomenasai

Student
Sep 30, 2022
I think if you're reasonably healthy (both physically and mentally), you can often be quite content in life. Maybe not extremely happy, but doing well enough to keep going.

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra and ksp
evolutionerror

evolutionerror

Corrupted DNA
Sep 5, 2022
How does everyone else find it so easy to maintain active social lives and relationships and hobbies while working full time? Some people even work second jobs or do part time degrees. I couldn't even dream of doing such a thing.

I ask myself this everyday, I don't understand how some people do it. They just be built differently, because I never could.

One job, no kids and no extracurricular stuff going on and I still want to CTB.

brokensea

brokensea

Arcanist
Aug 4, 2022
Humans aren't meant to be working so many hours. Even in older times people took over month long vacations. Got up in the mornings to do work and had a lot of free time. Even when we lived in tribes we "worked" in hunting or food gathering about 20 hours a week and had much more time for rest. This is a capitalist farce that we can sustain energy that long working away and we can't. Studies show less work hours actually result in more production but try explaining that to a corporate machine. We are wage slaves and everyone has their hand in your pocket trying to take away all of your money. Even to heat your home it's like a Dicken's novel. Rent is astronomical thanks to greedy landlords. People pay more than half their wages in rent most times. We live in a sick, greedy culture of work slavery. If you can't work or are disabled you'll end out on the streets since the government won't give you enough to live on despite all the taxes we pay and we somehow have learned to think of non-workers as lazy and entitled no matter the reason so want to scrutinize and give them as little as possible. Jealous they don't have to be a wage slave like us. It's just remarkable this machine and how everyone feeds into it. How can anyone be happy in this world?

Yakamoz

Yakamoz

passer-by
Jun 26, 2022
Exactly my feelings