mouseteacup

mouseteacup

mouse - it/its
Aug 1, 2023
I'm not ready to CTB yet. Don't think I should. Very aware I shouldn't do anything impulsively, wait a few days or at least a week even if I think I'm set on it.

I have therapy in a few hours and I want to bring up how suicidal I've gotten in the past few weeks, but I don't know how to muster up the will to talk about it. I've accepted the potential consequences (i.e. involuntary hold, etc), but I don't know how to bring it up.

People who've brought it up in therapy before, any advice?

ā€” Mouse šŸ

I'll update when I'm back if I don't get "held up" (will update anyway... it'd just be later on)

• Hugs
Reactions: Princess22 and alonely
alonely

alonely

exists by being merely labeled
Jul 1, 2023
I've never told a therapist that I was suicidal, but maybe some ideas.

If they ask how youve been, you could say something like "really really depressed to the point where I dont see a point to living anymore"

If you dont feel like youre able to say it, maybe you could write a short note on a small piece of paper that just says "I'm feeling suicidal and I would like to talk about it, but I couldn't bring myself to say those words out loud." and give it to them at the start of the session.

• Love
Reactions: pringle6066, BojackHorseman and mouseteacup
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
personally whenever ive mentioned it its when they ask how ive been and i say "ive been struggling with suicidal thoughts" or if i dont want to specifically say suicidal i say "struggling with thoughts of not wanting to be here/wishing i didnt exist/wasnt born". in my experience people take saying you wish you were never born less seriously than saying you're suicidal so if thats not what you want or how you actually feel then maybe avoid saying that.
personally i think you should only say it when you're comfortable saying it or are worried for your safety, dont try to force yourself if you're not ready to tell them. but if youve made your mind up that this is the time to tell them then i wish you the best. sorry if none of this was very helpful. i hope your session goes well either way.

• Love
Reactions: pringle6066 and mouseteacup
Alltheywanted

Alltheywanted

I'll just lay here and die
Mar 6, 2023
Well, I just told her on our first meeting that I'm suicidal and I want her to help me.

Literally first thing she heard from me was this:
"I'm planning my suicide" and then i was explaining my methods and how i struggle to find a peaceful one.
Of course it was hard for me and i was crying a lot but i did it.

If you want to tell something to your therapist, just do it. Do it even totally out of context. It's their job to help you, and if they don't know about the problem they can't fix it. You pay them for that.

btw i wasn't sent to a psych ward

• Hugs
Reactions: pringle6066 and Pink and white
SadPingu

SadPingu

Go out like a spark, my trauma and me.
Jul 27, 2023
I told my psych and said I had ideation. She got my to tell her in detail how I'd do it and asked what would stop me. I think she was assessing if I was a genuine risk or not. That question is on the Becks index for depression too. She often gets me to fill it in during sessions but I often circle it a 1 not a 2 so only partly honest.

mouseteacup

mouseteacup

mouse - it/its
Aug 1, 2023
Thanks to y'all who replied. I have therapy in about an hour and a half. Will update when I can.

I haven't taken my antidepressants yet todayā€¦ should do that so I don't fuck up my sleep and so they keep working.

vitbar

vitbar

Escaped Lunatic
Jun 4, 2023
Both the therapists I've had would start by asking me if there was anything I wanted to bring up. Once I said yes I felt it was easier to say more.

mouseteacup

mouseteacup

mouse - it/its
Aug 1, 2023
And she's on vacation. Forgot to put that in my schedule, damn. Next week I can't go, which will make three weeks in a row that I won't be seeing her. Usually I talk to her every week. Too depressed last week and the only reason I felt up to going this week was so I might be able to get some help.

Guess I'll have to go check in somewhere myself. Fuck.

• Hugs
Reactions: pringle6066, alonely and cgrtt.brns
alonely

alonely

exists by being merely labeled
Jul 1, 2023
And she's on vacation. Forgot to put that in my schedule, damn. Next week I can't go, which will make three weeks in a row that I won't be seeing her. Usually I talk to her every week. Too depressed last week and the only reason I felt up to going this week was so I might be able to get some help.

Guess I'll have to go check in somewhere myself. Fuck.
good luck, wish you are able to get the help that you're looking for

• Love
Reactions: mouseteacup
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I told my therapist first day, transparency is important. My advice though, when you can get in next, tell her. If you're really worried about getting sent to a psych ward, show that you have no intentions or thought out plans, even if you do. Some states make it an obligation to send patients to a psych ward if you're an immediate danger to yourself or others (ie. You say "I've got a gun and I'm gonna shoot my self/others"). If you don't show any immediate danger, they generally
won't do that.

• Love
Reactions: pringle6066, catotoctb and mouseteacup