T

Thatdude

Life is temporary, death is permanent
Sep 26, 2019
So to be honest, idk if I really need to start working a "normal" job. Like my parents have indicated in the past when I showed I was worried that as long as I respect them and try. I'm welcomed here. And I highly highly thank them for that. But often, I have a feeling I need to prepare for the worse. Like I understand what separates me from being homeless is a few inches of wall (being allowed to stay in the house). The words of my mom telling me to not get desperate plays in my head, but the feeling like I can be kicked out any second is there.

Anyways, any time I start looking for a normal job it always ends up me getting to the point where I want to off myself. Like it sometimes relates to the job itself, sometimes the hours, and so on. The latest was when I was looking at some job I most likely could get. But in total requires about 9 hour days with 1 hour 1 way. Meaning 11 hour days 5 days a week. And since it is IT, this means maybe more (which is something I wished I knew before getting several IT degrees). I didn't even look at how stressful the job will be, and I'm already feeling like if I have to do 30 years of that, then being 6 feet under is better (it's a state job. Their retirement is if you work for 25 years before 60, then you can get full retirement. 5 years if your 65. Retirement is add up the 4 years you were paid the most and divided it by 4.).

Like the idea of work itself isn't a problem. Right now I have maybe 2 or 3 orders I need to make for Etsy. I'm thinking of writing a book about AI. I'm already writing another book. I'm trying to pitch products to companies. I make YouTube videos to the point where people once in a while donate. I am trying to get more into my parents bee keeping operation. I am talking about starting a farm with my parents (like they buy the land, and help get it started. And I will keep it going as a farm manager.) I'm in talks with the local UPS store about adding my services to their lineup. And so on. Like at times I honestly think it has to do with me being lazy because my average week I'm waking up when I want, I go to sleep when I want, I play video games or screw around on the net 99% of the time. And maybe 1% of the time I might half-ass some effort in what I do. (on other weeks I might work on something from the time I get up to when I go to bed). But the far majority of the time I'm just screwing around.

It should be noted currently I make somewhere between $1k-$5k a year off of what I do. So it is no where near enough to live off of.

Anyways, does anyone have any idea what is going on? Also, does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem?

It should be noted that I'm autistic. So idk of that plays a major role or not. Like part of me thinks that is another major reason since most who are autistic doesn't like change.

• Hugs
Reactions: Angina, IWTD and Bct
TStorm

TStorm

Fading Light
Mar 18, 2020
Yeah it might be because of autism. I was never diagnosed with it but sometimes I think I have it? Who knows? But I freak out when my routine gets thrown off, so I can relate.

It might be best to look for something close to home. Traveling far will only make you more stressed. There are jobs that don't have standard hours like the 9 to 5. Perhaps try one of those. For me I work at night since it is quiet and I have problems sleeping anyway. Try to find something that won't stress you out too much. I know that's not always an option, but maybe keep it in mind. Also know that your first few weeks of working will be very stressful, since there will be a lot of things changing all the time. I would go home in tears when I first started working and my boss yelled at me to stop crying all the time. I got used to it and now work is my routine so it doesn't bother me anymore. I don't know if this advice was useful! Hopefully lol

Reactions: IWTD
T

Thatdude

Life is temporary, death is permanent
Sep 26, 2019

The problem is in my area everything takes a good 15 or more min to get to the nearest stores. But the biggest thing that stresses me out is the idea of that is my life for the next 30+ years. That realistically, if I retire at age 60. My parents will most likely be dead, or at least close to it. My grandparents will be dead. That I will lived my entire life hating it, and at best I only have 20 years to become happy or die even more miserable than I am now since I will know I could've died much much sooner and skip the needless pain. And this is assuming I don't have to go back to work because I don't have enough money to live off of.

The only thing that doesn't completely scare the shit out of me is having my own business. Like I 3D print, I'm trying to write books, I'm on YouTube, and I do a number of other things. Nothing really pays a living wage, and combine it might be a good $3k a year at best. But I'm happy doing these things. And one big reason is outside of very exact times. I can stop what I am doing, and hang around my family. If I get too stressed out, I can just walk away for a bit.
I am trying to get into product development. And maybe that will take care of the problem in itself. But at this time, I just don't know.

BTW thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Whisperinyourear

Whisperinyourear

Jun 27, 2020
I think travel plays a big part in it. All of my jobs I had to commute 4 hours each day so it was minimum 13 hour days and that adds stress. From my experience I've been in 9-5 jobs and being a young female have coped alot of shit and being taken advantage of, but stayed many times because I didn't want to be jobless or homeless or not have achieved anything and the money was good, but my mental state was severely declining and I was emotionless and not happy.

I would say you need to find a career that you enjoy whether it's something in IT, or start up business or Etsy,3D printing, product development, or writing books on AI or becoming a farm manager. From what I read of others, most have stayed in their normal jobs for like a year or two and grin and bare it to save enough to pursue what they really wanted to do then they started their own businesses etc. But you will need to plan it out e.g. what does it take to make my Etsy page successful and they put in alot of hard yards and most were almost on the brink of homelessness before they made it.Or if you still want to get a normal job you can try and relate it to what you want to do, so if you want to write and publish books you can work at a bookshop part time/casual or a publishing company to earn money and have a job but also learn from working there. But I think also it's having a good support network. I had people say stay in the awful jobs cause it means you can buy a house in a few years. I think try and surround yourself with people that will be supportive of your decisions and be there in the long run.

Feel like I went on for a bit so don't know how helpful my words are.
:)