Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
Books, video games, etc become chores to complete. The initial interest is lost in the process

• Love
Reactions: Azagorod and waitingforrest
T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
Some suggest a nutritional approach to OCD such as with Inostitol (vitamin B8).

Some take a behavioral approach such as using a timer to interrupt a focused activity periodically to help develop a sort of manual control.

• Informative
Reactions: Chinchilla, waitingforrest and DynamicDepression
Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
Some suggest a nutritional approach to OCD such as with Inostitol (vitamin B8).

Some take a behavioral approach such as using a timer to interrupt a focused activity periodically to help develop a sort of manual control.
I'll buy it

Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
And how do you get your activity to stop in your head once you stop doing it? That would be good too.
Oh, by the way, if you mix different short-lived activities (reading, playing, watching TV, walking, studying) you can minimize intrusive thoughts, but it doesn't bother you to see things as a chore, rather than as a space of your own. recreation.

The bad thing about the technique I invented is that you don't end up doing anything seriously, meaning you don't get really involved and it generates a bit of low self-esteem. But it is better not to be obsessed with finishing everything you start and end up bursting with so much demanding that we put ourselves in doing things right.
//
I com aconseguir que l'activitat que facis s'aturi dins el teu cap un cop l'has deixat de fer?, això també fora bó.
Ah, per cert, si barrejes activitats diferents de curta durada (llegir, jugar, televisió, passejar, estudiar) pots minimitzar els pensaments introsius, però no sol·luciona que vegis les coses com una tasca a fer, més que com un espai propi d'esbarjo.

El dolent de la tècnica que em vaig inventar es que no acabes fent rés seriosament, es a dir que no t'impliques de debó i genera una mica de baixa autoestima. Però es millor que no obessionar-se en acabar tot el que comences i acabar rebentat de tant exigents que ens hi posem en fer les coses bé.

• Love
Reactions: Azagorod, waitingforrest and rationaltake
FatalSystemError591

FatalSystemError591

{He/They}
Oct 12, 2020
If you can describe it without the OCD attacking you, do you know what are your triggers and what sets it off? For me, my OCD is tied directly to my perfectionism. If something is not perfect, something bad will happen.
What has helped me over the years is to focus on combating my OCD's negative end thought of "Bad thing will happen" and severing it that way the best I can. It's not perfect and I've struggled many times, but reinforcing to yourself that nothing excruciatingly bad will happen if you don't check the lightswitch more than once and redirecting your attention from that lightswitch and push your brain into something you can hyperfocus on is what helped me.

Another side of it is my medical OCD. If I feel this pain in stomach, for example, does this mean I'm dying? Sometimes it's gas and I can make myself burp to lessen the pain.

Long story short what I found some success with is proving to the body that whatever bad thing it says will happen to you isn't going to happen. And doing a constant prove.. kind of like how you'd help someone who is paranoid?

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Azagorod, Dead Ghost, Weebster and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 847

Willpower
OCD is just your brain protecting your quality of life. Every ritual has a reason. Something that created it. A consequence, a price you don't want to pay. So you do the ritual instead, to protect your perceived peace.

Ex: I wash my hands every time I have to touch my phone or other objects that I value. I don't feel "wrong" if I touch someone's else phone without washing my hands first.

I've been having this "disease" since I was 7.
It began as a "spitting for no reason" thing, then it evolved into washing hands, closing the door many times, checking the time many times, adjusting my pants many times, thinking "irritating thoughts" (ex: seeing a picture in my mind of a slaughtered animal ) many times.
In all the rituals there's a common pattern:
the feeling of irritation that happens when I refuse to act on the thought-ritual is almost always linked to what my subconscious at least perceives to be a real loss in my life (such as ruining my phone with my dirty hands, or someone getting into my room). You have to find the reason why something bad that might happen bothers you so much and then be fine with giving up the ritual and actually letting the bad thing happen.

your subconscious will see that the bad thing either doesn't happen, or that it's not the end of the world if it does

OCD is just habits, thought patterns.
It's totally manageable if you work a little on yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Weebster
needforvoid_

needforvoid_

Apr 18, 2022
No answer, but I can relate. I don't feel I even like doing anything, the only way for me to keep doing something is to become obssessed. I think mine is tied to suppressed emotions.

TheLastFemaphrodyke

TheLastFemaphrodyke

Student
May 25, 2022
Books, video games, etc become chores to complete. The initial interest is lost in the process
let me know when you figure it out, I just accept it that is the way I am, I actually like my little eccentricities and drives, fuck those that are bothered by them, stay away from those assholes, it makes it easier a little, but not so much, I don't loose that initial interest for the most part though, that I don't really get, unless it is something frustrating, then I am no longer interested, but cannot quit until I am finished, so I am choicy I guess, I pick easy stuff that is not too challenging, I am a pufflestuff marshmallow weenie

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Ghost
Azagorod

Azagorod

Apr 4, 2019
If you can describe it without the OCD attacking you, do you know what are your triggers and what sets it off? For me, my OCD is tied directly to my perfectionism. If something is not perfect, something bad will happen.
I relate a lot to those. I usually pick up a new book/ video game because it seems fun and a nice escape from reality and usually it is ! For the first couple hours anyway. Then I start asking myself "but am I really having fun the correct/optimal way ? am I reading the right thing ? am I reading fast enough ? Am I playing the game right ? isn't there some more efficient way to do this ?" if there are achievements in the game it's usually at this point that I become aware of them. I remember a great quote tho not its author I saw on a game dev blog post which was "given enough time, gamers will optimize the fun out of the game" because the most efficient way to do something (like get to level X or learn how to do more damages or etc...) is almost never the most fun way to do it.
What helped me was switching to small collection of stories for reading or short fanfic etc.. the point being that I usually finish them before starting to optimize how fast I'm reading. Video game wise I just forbid myself from looking up any guide when I play now (unless I'm really stuck and not having fun any more) and I switched genre to things that have less tracking of your progress (I like roguelikes where there isn't too much progression between runs so you can just boot it up and have a casual run without trying to optimize long term goals).

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Ghost