Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I don't know if it can be done in isolation. It is easy enough to adopt a religious outlook as a coping strategy, or to be in denial regarding worldly attachments, but life will find a way to humble us.

Let's start at the beginning. First, we consider the First Noble Truth, that suffering is intrinsic to all (non-enlightened) life. Look no further than this very website and see people representing all genders, all nationalities, various ages, fitness levels and socioeconomic statuses. And do not assume that 'normies' with no suicidal ideation are not suffering. They may have accepted a constant background of dissatisfaction, or be masters at feigning a positive outlook. The extent of the weight of suffering is usually not known until people experience it dropping away in more advanced spiritual states.

The equivalent concept to non-attachment in Advaita Vedanta is sometimes referred to as 'dispassion'. It tends to be assumed that for people to be authentic on this path, they need to have seen the futility of all worldly ambition. Or, as Eckhart Tolle phrased it, you see that "the world cannot give you anything of lasting value."

This is due to all things being impermanent, another key concept. In the classic Peaceful Warrior movie, it was phrased like this, "If you don't get what you want, you suffer. And even when you get exactly what you want, you still suffer, because you can't hold onto it forever." And yet, as simple as this is, we seem to need to experience all sorts of disillusionment before there is a willingness to truly digest the profundity of the teaching.

Now that we've agreed that everything is futile and miserable, it sounds like a good time for a superhero to come and save the day. In comes the Buddha and says that there is an answer to this riddle. First, you need to be open to the possibility that he knows what he is talking about.

In simple terms, the answer is a non-intellectual, directly-experienced, permanent shift in identity. Nothing changes in the world, yet everything changes. Again, openness is needed since you will observe most people are dismissive that this is even a thing. And they should be, since other people's exalted stories of attaining lofty spiritual states mean zero for you, unless you are open to the possibility that it could really happen for you too.

Genuine non-attachment is merely a byproduct of attaining a more advanced spiritual state. 'Advanced' may be the wrong word, since it is a subtractive process; gradually removing the heavy mask of body/mind identification that has been accumulated since childhood. Ultimately seeing your own self as a fictional character playing on a virtual reality cinema, with your true identity something utterly indescribable, infinite, eternal and boundless. (And again, this is not a belief, nor a mere experience. Talking about it becomes difficult if not impossible.)

Thus, for anyone who has come this far, seeing the futility of conventional life, being open that there is a solution and genuinely yearning to overcome the false identity of the suffering self, the ultimate question is how?

Firstly, it has to be the most important thing. This is where true dispassion for the world comes in. From there, there are many techniques and methods.

* Meditation rarely results in awakening by itself, but is considered a vital tool
* Time with someone genuinely in an advanced spiritual state (books and videos may help, or in-person might be needed)
* Self-inquiry is commonly considered the most potent single technique to awaken
* Another approach is self-surrender, which tends to entail total trust in a guru or deity.

There are many possible traps on the path and hence the huge amount of literature on the topic despite its utter simplicity. But if this is truly the most important thing, I don't think anything will stop you.

Reactions: sserafim, foreverfalling, Celerity and 3 others
TheRottingContinues

TheRottingContinues

Low consciousness
Aug 23, 2023
As a Buddhist myself, I can say that first you have to really understand what exactly the point of letting go of worldly desires is, and then you can start to implement it in small ways into your life. Basically, the general idea is that you will be happy if you are content with your life, and you can be content with your life if you don't want anything else that you don't have.
Implementing this to your physical life is mostly about letting go of materialistic wants, much like the philosophy/lifestyle of minimalism. But Buddhism extends further, you also have to let go of your ambition for greater things. Just live life in the moment and appreciate what you have, rather than endlessly yearning for more.
I still haven't gotten to the point where I am completely happy and don't want anything else, but I will keep working on it.

Reactions: sserafim and Ambivalent1
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
As a Buddhist myself, I can say that first you have to really understand what exactly the point of letting go of worldly desires is, and then you can start to implement it in small ways into your life. Basically, the general idea is that you will be happy if you are content with your life, and you can be content with your life if you don't want anything else that you don't have.
Implementing this to your physical life is mostly about letting go of materialistic wants, much like the philosophy/lifestyle of minimalism. But Buddhism extends further, you also have to let go of your ambition for greater things. Just live life in the moment and appreciate what you have, rather than endlessly yearning for more.
I still haven't gotten to the point where I am completely happy and don't want anything else, but I will keep working on it.
How can one be happy with the daily struggle of poverty for instance? You can want better without overindulging on materialistic things beyond better housing and savings in the bank.

TheRottingContinues

TheRottingContinues

Low consciousness
Aug 23, 2023
How can one be happy with the daily struggle of poverty for instance? You can want better without overindulging on materialistic things beyond better housing and savings in the bank.
Poverty is a perfect example of the "suffering." Look no further than Buddha's life to see how he solved it. For about 5 years of his life, he decided to go through self-mortification before he discovered his path. In the end, he decided that punishing the human body was not the way to happiness.
Humans still need food and water to survive. But in order to be content with poverty, we must also let go over our desire for more. The only real advice I can give is do not be materialistic, focus on your necessities, and be content with what you have. When you let go of your desire for luxuries, they will seem unappealing.
Also, if you really want to get into it, read up on Buddhist teachings. I really have no idea what I'm saying, just repeating stuff I overheard from monks at a local temple. My Mandarin Chinese is also really bad so I might have mistranslated something from there.

Reactions: sserafim
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Poverty is a perfect example of the "suffering." Look no further than Buddha's life to see how he solved it. For about 5 years of his life, he decided to go through self-mortification before he discovered his path. In the end, he decided that punishing the human body was not the way to happiness.
Humans still need food and water to survive. But in order to be content with poverty, we must also let go over our desire for more. The only real advice I can give is do not be materialistic, focus on your necessities, and be content with what you have. When you let go of your desire for luxuries, they will seem unappealing.
Also, if you really want to get into it, read up on Buddhist teachings. I really have no idea what I'm saying, just repeating stuff I overheard from monks at a local temple. My Mandarin Chinese is also really bad so I might have mistranslated something from there.
I do what you're suggesting most of the time. Problem is it leaves me bored often with little to do because I can't afford to do much of anything outside the house. I alternate between boredom and horrible anxiety.

TheRottingContinues

TheRottingContinues

Low consciousness
Aug 23, 2023
I do what you're suggesting most of the time. Problem is it leaves me bored often with little to do because I can't afford to do much of anything outside the house. I alternate between boredom and horrible anxiety.
I suggest filling up the time that you are bored with activities like meditation, self improvement, or spiritual self-discovery. Find an activity that doesn't cost money, that you really enjoy doing, and most importantly, does not lead to more desire for things.
Again, letting go of worldly desires doesn't mean that you totally have to go monk-mode or become a radical spiritualist. It just means that you don't find the same desire for luxurious things that other people do. Take really, really small steps and gradually incorporate them.

Reactions: sserafim