abruptum

abruptum

Lost
Jan 10, 2021
I've just been dealing with a utter lack of motivation in my life, i have no job, can't hold relationships(even that of my gf and parents), school is terrible, can't get out of bed, can't leave my house. It's just been a rough couple weeks and I don't see a point in anything if in the end nothing matters because we all die and 1 persons life is about as meaningless as can be considering the grand scheme of things

• Hugs
Reactions: Tav, it's_all_a_game, lobster salad and 2 others
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Do you have any goals? I don't really have advice cause I'm dealing with the same shit. Why do anything if nothing matters anyways, right?

• Hugs
Reactions: Spiral, abruptum, botanormal and 1 other person
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
i have no job, can't hold relationships(even that of my gf and parents), school is terrible, can't get out of bed, can't leave my house.
Maybe all of that isn't what you actually want to do? Maybe you just want to chill out and you're prepared to handle the consequences later.

LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
Abruptum, Sorry to quote a cheesy 80's TV series but 'One man can make a difference' Your young (Lucky You) and as you grow life will offer you many chances to acquire all you need to live a worthwhile and satisfying life! I wish you well and may all of life's blessings come your way :-)

• Hugs
Reactions: abruptum
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
What about like.... ants? Keeping a bag of ants by our beds and releasing them when we need motivation to get out of bed?????? Because idk what else would work honestly.

• Wow
Reactions: lostmyhope, Spiral, lobster salad and 1 other person
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
What about like.... ants? Keeping a bag of ants by our beds and releasing them when we need motivation to get out of bed?????? Because idk what else would work honestly.
steve harvey what GIF

Reactions: Spiral, Scotty, lobster salad and 1 other person
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Jan 21, 2021
it makes more sense than what we are doing now!!!! :p
on a real note though, OP- vitamins, proper nutrition, sunlight, medication, music, sleep, and a healthy social life def help. But I'm sure you knew that already. I will say that we undermine the role of nutritional deficiencies on mood- seeing a doc can help. sometimes tackling the physical aspect is easier than the mental/emotional.

Reactions: lostmyhope
abruptum

abruptum

Lost
Jan 10, 2021
Maybe all of that isn't what you actually want to do? Maybe you just want to chill out and you're prepared to handle the consequences later.
it just feels like if i dont handle anything rn it all just piles up, the world never slows down for me and lets me catch my breath
it makes more sense than what we are doing now!!!! :p
on a real note though, OP- vitamins, proper nutrition, sunlight, medication, music, sleep, and a healthy social life def help. But I'm sure you knew that already. I will say that we undermine the role of nutritional deficiencies on mood- seeing a doc can help. sometimes tackling the physical aspect is easier than the mental/emotional.
this makes sense i def gotta try to get outside into the sunlight more but it really is way harder than it should be for completely arbitrary reasons that i dont even know :(

• Love
Reactions: wordsonscreen and booray
S

Scotty

Student
Dec 26, 2020
Sometimes you just need to take care of yourself. Sometimes you need to just hang out in your PJs in bed all day and "self-soothe". Read a book, go for a hike in the sun, have a meaningful conversation, even if it's virtual. Find something that truly makes you cry and then find something that makes you snot-bubble (yuck...how could I say that...so gross, I know. Sorry to put that image in your head now.) laugh. The fact that society believes that we need to be "on" all the time is a problem, especially for most of us here who are dealing with depression, bipolar, bad family lives and unfortunate circumstances. Don't think of it as lack of motivation, think of it as pre-planned down time. You have to think of it as nursing a wound. Readdress it in a couple of days, then start writing down some very easy short-term goals just to get your ass moving. Combine that with some inspired long-term goals, and you might get moving again. If not, then there is always the option of CTB for us if we need it. Hope that this is not too preachy.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Livingvsdying25, lostmyhope, blahblahhh and 2 others
abruptum

abruptum

Lost
Jan 10, 2021
Sometimes you just need to take care of yourself. Sometimes you need to just hang out in your PJs in bed all day and "self-soothe". Read a book, go for a hike in the sun, have a meaningful conversation, even if it's virtual. Find something that truly makes you cry and then find something that makes you snot-bubble (yuck...how could I say that...so gross, I know. Sorry to put that image in your head now.) laugh. The fact that society believes that we need to be "on" all the time is a problem, especially for most of us here who are dealing with depression, bipolar, bad family lives and unfortunate circumstances. Don't think of it as lack of motivation, think of it as pre-planned down time. Readdress it in a couple of days, then start writing down some very easy short-term goals just to get your ass moving. Combine that with some inspired long-term goals, and you might get moving again. If not, then there is always the option of CTB for us if we need it. Hope that this is not too preachy.
thank you for this

Reactions: wordsonscreen
abruptum

abruptum

Lost
Jan 10, 2021
@Scotty @sunbug the ants are a last resort ;)

• Love
Reactions: blahblahhh, wordsonscreen and Scotty
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Jan 21, 2021
Sometimes you just need to take care of yourself. Sometimes you need to just hang out in your PJs in bed all day and "self-soothe". Read a book, go for a hike in the sun, have a meaningful conversation, even if it's virtual. Find something that truly makes you cry and then find something that makes you snot-bubble (yuck...how could I say that...so gross, I know. Sorry to put that image in your head now.) laugh. The fact that society believes that we need to be "on" all the time is a problem, especially for most of us here who are dealing with depression, bipolar, bad family lives and unfortunate circumstances. Don't think of it as lack of motivation, think of it as pre-planned down time. You have to think of it as nursing a wound. Readdress it in a couple of days, then start writing down some very easy short-term goals just to get your ass moving. Combine that with some inspired long-term goals, and you might get moving again. If not, then there is always the option of CTB for us if we need it. Hope that this is not too preachy.
I love this.

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
The whole "why do anything if nothing matters" is a really faulty piece of logic. Lots of things matter -- to you, on a personal level. In your heart of hearts, you do have material or spiritual things that you want, for your own sake. Don't take responsibility for some vague "grand scheme of things". Look only at yourself. Everything else is not your problem.

My own motivation to do things is to escape boredom. This doesn't matter to any grand scheme. It matters to me.

• Love
Reactions: Livingvsdying25, minn, it's_all_a_game and 1 other person
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Jan 21, 2021
The whole "why do anything if nothing matters" is a really faulty piece of logic. Lots of things matter -- to you, on a personal level. In your heart of hearts, you do have material or spiritual things that you want, for your own sake. Don't take responsibility for some vague "grand scheme of things". Look only at yourself. Everything else is not your problem.

My own motivation to do things is to escape boredom. This doesn't matter to any grand scheme. It matters to me.
yesyesyes! We make our own meaning.

abruptum

abruptum

Lost
Jan 10, 2021

Yeah this is true but i just never feel accomplishment in those things idk why, I know its something i gotta work on but its hard :(

Reactions: wordsonscreen