TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Here is a comment on reddit's SW that I found about someone who failed an attempt with a handgun. Since none of us were there with him when he attempted, we can only make inferences based on what he did and how he attempted. My guess is that he didn't aim far back enough to the brainstem or flinched in anticipation of the gunshot. However, it is also possible that he may be trembling very hard and that caused his aim to be off, we don't know.

What are anyone's thoughts on what could have caused this guy to fail his attempt? Also, his life is much worse now, a messed up jaw, time in the psych ward (after being patched up) for the attempt, and of course the loss of his gun. :'( I myself would prepare extensively and would do my research (as well as practice extensively) so that I would reduce the odds of such an event occurring. I'm only posting this for us to critique what went wrong as well as use it as a learning experience so that anyone who is CTB'ing with a firearm doesn't end up like him.

Last edited:
Leesap

Leesap

Jul 5, 2019
Do not use a .22. Always a .38 or higher calibre. Also, it goes in the mouth. My guess would be one of these two things.

Reactions: Sargasm, LifeIsACurse and TAW122
Sargasm

Sargasm

Compassion makes the world go 'round.
Jun 19, 2019
"I survived a non fatal gunshot to the jaw...''

Well there's your problem. I'm guessing they aimed under the chin, quite possibly the worst way to do it. And while it is possible the bullet deflected and hit their jaw, I am going to hazard another guess and say they flinched at the last moment.

Reactions: TAW122 and Leesap
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
If I am going to CTB via a firearm, I'd be using a shotgun with 00 buckshot to ensure success and of course, I would aim into the mouth, directly as far back as I can shove the barrel into my mouth to ensure that I hit the brainstem or destroy the backpart of the brain + along with the topic part of the spine, thus instant death.

Had I had less than a shotgun (which isn't the case since long guns are easier to acquire than hand guns in my state) such as a pistol or revolver, then I'd use at least 9mm, .40, .45, and or at least .357 magnum to CTB. Furthermore, yes I would aim into the mouth angled up slightly but as far back as possible.

Last edited:
bacardirum

bacardirum

Experienced
May 21, 2019
Nothing is guaranteed in life, even the attempts which seem fail-safe... You could stand in front of a train travelling 100mph and be bounced off with a scratch.

Conflicted Cat

Conflicted Cat

Experienced
May 23, 2019
"I survived a non fatal gunshot to the jaw...'' Well there's your problem.

Right. We hear about the failures all the time, but we don't as much hear about the successes, because you know, they're dead, they can't tell us they succeeded.

Reactions: Sargasm
M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018
Here is a comment on reddit's SW that I found about someone who failed an attempt with a handgun. Since none of us were there with him when he attempted, we can only make inferences based on what he did and how he attempted. My guess is that he didn't aim far back enough to the brainstem or flinched in anticipation of the gunshot. However, it is also possible that he may be trembling very hard and that caused his aim to be off, we don't know.

What are anyone's thoughts on what could have caused this guy to fail his attempt? Also, his life is much worse now, a messed up jaw, time in the psych ward (after being patched up) for the attempt, and of course the loss of his gun. :'( I myself would prepare extensively and would do my research (as well as practice extensively) so that I would reduce the odds of such an event occurring. I'm only posting this for us to critique what went wrong as well as use it as a learning experience so that anyone who is CTB'ing with a firearm doesn't end up like him.

He seemed extremely nervous to me/unsure. I am guessing he flinched and aimed poorly if he actually even attempted at all. As a reminder if you aim reasonably right with a good gun, failure is not going to happen.

Laststop

Laststop

Experienced
Jul 9, 2019
I personally knew a guy who worked at a hospital who had a guy pull up in a car asking him directions to the ER. Only thing was, the side of the guys head was mostly missing, and he had gooey congealed gore all over him. Turns out he was alone, his family having disowned him, for whatever reason. He had shot himself in the head the night before, but at the wrong angle. It grazed his head, and he waited until the next day to go to the hospital.

S

Slimjim23

Mar 23, 2019
As long as you hit your brain stem there is an extremely negligible probability you would survive. That is if you have a 9mm caliber and above.