N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Maybe this is a thread for people getting sad that despite their talent they had no chance in life. But honestly the same applies to me and talking about it helps.

I wanted to become politician when I was young. Honestly I had no idea about what it means to be a politician I could have never become one. But the first time I realized I am not made for it was after my first psychosis. The therapist that gave me the first diagnosis told me yeah I should forget about the politician thing. He was absolutely right. With this illness becoming politician is equivalent to commiting suicide in my opinion. I know some politician who are or were mentally ill. But with psychosis the stress is triggering new episodes. Some people with milder forms of mental illness can be high-functional maybe they can still have a great career.

On the other hand there is the story of an American professor who is schizophrenic but her story sounds pretty painful. I could not overcome the obstacles and alway stand up again after life spit in my face. I probably gonna ctb when my episodes repeat I have reached my limits.

I am not sure how important talent is for success. Many people say in order to become a high politician there are many factors needed. Resilience (does not apply to me), high IQ (not sure about me but I think you can even become a high politician with an IQ that is not that high), some characteristics are beneficial and a lot of luck. ( I have only bad luck sorry). I think in the US a lot of money is needed. In my country it is not a necessity but it helps. Moreover good connections and stamina.

But how important is talent? I think there are different talents. Some are more important than others for having a great carrer.
I think conscientiousness and resilience are two good predictors for success. I have so much from the first one that it is rather detrimental. But I barely have resilience. And I am neurotic as fuck. It is a good mix for getting tortured. Because your expectations are always so high but you can never reach what you want.

I think talent is not the most important factor. I think I am not really talented but I had always very good grades. I am very obsessive about grades and I spend insane amount of time and energy and getting good grades. So much that I become suicidal. But I have too much OCD to stop it. I can remember in school I told one of my teachers I want to become a high politcian, She immediately told me I could never reach that. I think she thought I was not smart enough. This was before I started to study like an idiot and losing a lot of weight. I proved so many people that they underestimated me. I impressed many people. But inside I was and am unhappy as fuck. Moreover I have to emphasize good grades are not equivalent with being successful.

Many people think I was smart but I think I just have a lot of dedication. Moreover the people who thought of me as a loser will be right. I probably cannot even work an average job due to OCD and mental illness. So all of my hard work will be in vain. It might even backfire and cause a new psychosis. However for the moment it gives me a little bit of hope. Not sure how naive I am but it helps me to cope with my daily mental torment. It keeps me going.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, sserafim, katagiri83 and 1 other person
catflowers

catflowers

Experienced
Jul 31, 2022
talent has nothing to do with success andrew tate is successful and he is a talentless fuck

Reactions: BrainShower
hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
Talent played a part in my life. I was (am?) good in STEM. That allowed me to progress in the academic world. However sadly talent is not enough. Nowadays you need what people call soft skill, emotional intelligence, or whatever. I totally lack those. I have no idea how to be emphatic with other people. I do try, but I fail miserably. I am also very narcissistic, i do not take well criticism. The end result is that i tend to escalate conversation very quickly and I always endup fighting with people.

In my former workplace everybody knew I was an asshole and that it was hard to work with me. I had several fights with HR and some minor disciplinary actions. At the end everybody was waiting for me to cross the line and eventually I did it with an hateful tweet. That provided the excuse to kick me out.

So talent is important but it is also important to be able to function in this shitty and false world. I did not manage to do that.

Reactions: BrainShower, sserafim and Un-
E

estadiare

Aug 31, 2022
talent has nothing to do with success andrew tate is successful and he is a talentless fuck
well, he certainly has the talent to market and attract impressionable audiences

W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
I don't know. I just have this thought that talent doesn't matter much when there is no will left to live, when being sucessful is met with anhedonia. I'm not sure why my mind thought of this first.

Reactions: sserafim and Un-
H

Helmetrash

Sep 1, 2022
Persistency is more important than talent!!

Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
A person's vocation is not linked to success and it seems to me much more appropriate to focus your efforts on finding ways to use your vocation rather than trying to achieve success as an unquestionable goal.

//

La vocació d'una persona no va lligada al éxit i em sembla molt mes adient volcar els esforços en cercar maneres de poder fer servir la teva vocació que no intentar pas aconseguir l'éxit com a meta inqüestionable.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I think it's a mix of luck and talent. I also heard that opportunities and connections are important factors in being successful. Personally I don't even know what my talents are so I'll probably never be successful…

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and noname223
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Sadly in this world, confidence seems to outweigh talent I've found a lot. Maybe because of the way we interview for jobs, people who can 'talk the talk' quite often get the job- whether their words are true or not. I know some immensely talented people wasting away in retail jobs.

Probably depends on the job though. Some jobs will be impossible to get by in if the person simply lied about all they could do.

It's quite incredible really how sometimes companies are just blinded by trust though. Just one employee, Nick Leeson brought down UK Barings Bank after losing £800m on unwise trades. You'd think someone would have noticed! Even worse- the recent Lucy Letby case- a nurse convicted of killing 7 babies and attempting to kill 7 more. So- even when it's worse than incompetence, when it's willful homicide, companies can be very slow to act.

Now that we have so many structures to protect our rights too- which is obviously a good thing but, it can be used to protect people and enable them to continue to do harm. The doctors that raised concerns repeatedly about Lucy Letby were forced to apologise to her by HR!

SexyIncél

SexyIncél

🍭my lollipop brings the feminists to my candyshop
Aug 16, 2022
In this world, there's many ways to win — but far more ways to lose

We're a strange species

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I think it's a mix of luck and talent. I also heard that opportunities and connections are important factors in being successful. Personally I don't even know what my talents are so I'll probably never be successful…
Oh wait I forgot to add something: I think that people/social skills and charisma also play a part in it as well.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Talent plays a role but is not a necessity to be successful. The little bit of luck in life is much more important.