N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Many years ago (2011) Germany decided to quit nuclear energy due to the accident of nuclear energy in Japan. The chancellor a physicist decided it was too dangerous. Many conservative criticize her now for that due to our dependency on Russian gas,

First I thought this was a good decision. Now I question it. There are more and more secure nuclear reactors. But there always remains a risk. In case something goes wrong the consequences are a disaster. Many people in Europe are scared about an accident in a Ukrainian reactor. Not sure how scared people from UK are. But I think US citizens should be safe.
In Germany many worry.

I think it is astonishing what other countries do. Germany is an exception. Maybe it was no wise decision? Not sure. France has so many nuclear reactors. Even Japan which just experienced a horrible disaster. I cannot really understand that. Especially countries with many natural disasters should be careful. And climate change will increase such disasters. Time will tell.

Reactions: Lostandlooking, obafgkm, narval and 1 other person
Arrow

Arrow

Rewrite
May 1, 2020
nuclear energy is extremely clean and safe but since it sounds scary nobody cares

• Love
Reactions: SadColeopter, obafgkm, NumbItAll and 1 other person
narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
I consider nuclear energy absolutely safe. It should happen a huge amount (a very, very huge) of errors and failures to see another chernobyl. Even at the point that only intended actions can make a tragedy.

The protocols are very strict and the buildings, very strongs, at the point of withstand a medium/low size plane crash.

Plus that, And as far as I know, this extends to nuclear waste (wich aren't so abundant by far).

Reactions: Install-Gentoo, GrumpyFrog, jodes2 and 1 other person
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
It is much safer than widely accepted energy sources. Even the terrible disasters that have happened are a drop in the bucket compared to the damage caused by fossil fuels. Definitely underutilized.

Reactions: Lostandlooking, obafgkm and narval
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Remember, fusion is also a form of nuclear energy that gets closer to reality every day.

Reactions: Luchs and obafgkm
Luchs

Luchs

kristallene Bergluft über verfallener Gruft
Aug 20, 2019
Nuclear energy is pretty much the only alternative we have to combustion as an energy source, I'd take another Chernobyl over a heating planet.

Reactions: Install-Gentoo and jodes2
DrekSS

DrekSS

"I rather die than live under your control"
Sep 3, 2022
Hi, I am still in highschool, but I want to become a physics student one day. Nuclear energy is not dangerous if it is under the right protocols of safety. In fact, some scientist belive it can be really sustainable if research goes on, but, due to the nuclear bombs, the word "nuclear" has become a synonim of death. What some people say about Germany is true, if Germany kept nuclear energy plants and uprgaded them, it could had been possible for them to not being in a crisis.

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
In Japan it is very risky due to the risk of tsunamis- in most locations it is much safer if it is well managed.

Reactions: narval
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I'm not worried about neclear reactors in the UK, but if we had more natural disasters and there was a plant within 10 miles I guess there might be some concern. Then again I welcome death so meh

Reactions: Install-Gentoo
narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
In Japan it is very risky due to the risk of tsunamis- in most locations it is much safer if it is well managed.
Not so risky.

Even with fukushima incident, there wasn't relevant radioactive contamination. There wasn't a increase of health issues like cancer or leukemia. In fact, there was more casualties due to normal accidents related to the tsunami itself and the cleansing (debris cleaning and so). But what about environment contamination? There was, yes. But low. Irrelevant. It's safe to eat fishes from there. I would eat :)

But what if another tsunamy happens? Well. since then, knowing that there's international organisms that watches very close this incidents to see what new protocols and improves to buildings, engineriing, materials and so, for sure new things have been implemented.

BTW: perhaps i'm a fanboy of nuclear energy? perhaps :ahhha:

BruhXDDDDD

BruhXDDDDD

Student
Feb 18, 2022
Magnitudes less dangerous than the alternative (the effects of air/water pollution and global warming). I would say the same if nuclear energy were ten times as dangerous.

Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
Many years ago (2011) Germany decided to quit nuclear energy due to the accident of nuclear energy in Japan. The chancellor a physicist decided it was too dangerous. Many conservative criticize her now for that due to our dependency on Russian gas,

First I thought this was a good decision. Now I question it. There are more and more secure nuclear reactors. But there always remains a risk. In case something goes wrong the consequences are a disaster. Many people in Europe are scared about an accident in a Ukrainian reactor. Not sure how scared people from UK are. But I think US citizens should be safe.
In Germany many worry.

I think it is astonishing what other countries do. Germany is an exception. Maybe it was no wise decision? Not sure. France has so many nuclear reactors. Even Japan which just experienced a horrible disaster. I cannot really understand that. Especially countries with many natural disasters should be careful. And climate change will increase such disasters. Time will tell.
Not dangerous at all. Especially with modern reactor designs

Reactions: narval