N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I wanted to post something more positive. But I stopped to post this thread in recovery because my mood is not that good and otherwise it would feel shallow and fake.

I think I am an utterly broken person. I can remember I had a conversation with my (not that bright) sister. We talked about the abuse in our childhood and she said to me other people would be broken after that. Well I told my sister about my suicidality prior to that and she was not that empathetic. It is obvious I am a broken person.

Here is my definition of it. People who just cannot cope with what has happened to them. Often a traumata, abuse, violence, grief etc. And I am a very severe case. Why are these people broken? For example they obsessively think about suicide and do it eventually. They lose their sanity. (partly it fits to me. I had psychosis. But I am still very self-aware.) They are obsessed by the past and cannot let their pain go. They become insular and self-absorbed. They just cannot cope with it anymore - many give up (not already at least in my case). They become homeless, take drugs, cannot hold a job. They become bitter and resentful.

I think the society does not treat these people with respect. I once was in an unemployment agency and talked to staff. It is so fucking cynical how they look down at such people. I will kill myself when that time comes. I won't let them spit in my face - not even metaphorically. The woman there explained that many of their clients cannot leave their beds (a sign for depression) or that they are slightly puzzled (after a traumatic blow of fate). Still she had no empathy with them - she was so disgusting to them.

I met other broken people. There was a guy in a clinic. He was in a lot of pain. His girlfriend committed suicide 20-30 years ago. And it destroyed him. He struggled daily with the aftermath. (Similar to my relation to the child abuse.) He was kind of insane. Not psychotic but he behaved very weird. I think he abused drugs. He was a mess. Similar to me (not the drugs). The difference is he was not suicidal. I would have killed myself in his position years ago. So I had kind of respect for him. He was daily in a lot of pain. There was another youtuber I watched. He was bipolar an extreme case. It was the aftermath of bullying and abuse. Tried a couple of times to kill himself. In the end he was determined to live despite everything. I kind of admired his strength. I don't know what happened to him. But I think his love for animals gave him meaning in life.

So these two people are examples for me how one can live despite being broken. However I don't think I am one of them.

Personally I feel more like the David Foster Wallace types. I am just so obsessed by suicide. There is a saying I think. Something like: suicide does not just happen accidentally to a person. (usually) The people do not wake up one day and think why not killing myself today? It is rather a long process. The people wake up every single day with these thoughts. They ruminate so much about it. They despair they weigh the pros and cons on a daily basis. And one day they just decide now is my limit reached I cannot cope with this shit anymore. Personally I think it will be similar in my case.

I try to recover in a systemical way. I reached out to professionals couple of times. Tried so much medication and therapy. I improved yes. Though I think I have some clear losing conditions. And I think I will reach them inevitably in the future. Bipolar is an illness that proceeds in cycles. I won't survive that pain. I am pretty determined to kill me when this insane pain returns. My therapists gave me up because they think poverty (not able to hold a job) will drive me over the edge. I think they are right. My life quality is already horrible. Lack of money would decrease it even further.

I think when my parents die (especially my mom) so will I. I think I will kill myself soon after they died. I hope I can postpone hell breaks lose till that day. But this is unlikely. David Foster Wallace also broke. He was in a lot of pain for a very long time. He tried a lot of things to escape his fate. I am pretty much the same. I would like to avoid suicide. I tried a lot for that. But the game is just rigged against me. My resilience is a joke. My attempts to recover are so desperate and barely have prospects to work eventually.

I try to postpone it as long as I can. Also to protect my family of that pain. But we are in real trouble and I am the only one in my family who is aware of that. The others live in a dream world. Well ignorance is a bliss.

But to the core question of the thread. I think one can only try as good as possible. Here are some approaches to live despite being broken. I cannot promise that they work but they might ease the pain a little bit:

Psychotherapy, medication, a meaningful job, hobbies, social interactions, a significant other, some principles to live for, a personal philosophy, ethical standards, love for animals, love for the nature, love for oneself, feeling good in one's own body, a balanced live, a good work-life balance, a support network, having a community where one feels good,. sharing your pain with others, eating your favorite food, being good to yourself, rewarding yourself, sleeping enough but not too much, finding meaning in art, having role models, reaching out for help, sports and fitness etc.

Do you have some ideas or advices?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: katagiri83, lotus11 and ashxia
ashxia

ashxia

May 3, 2023
I don't know. I realized a few years ago that I was missing something crucial in my life: Love. I desperately wanted love. I felt unloved and had no one to love. So I started seeking it. Quickly realized I have no idea what it is, what it feels like, how to accept it, or how to give it. It's abstract to me, just some idea, a word. I have no real experience or understanding of it. I hurt people, and I hurt myself. Everyone I've ever cared for has left my life and torched the bridge behind them because, apparently, I'm a broken person. I didn't realize that. I never knew I was 'whole' to be broken in the first place. So yeah. I don't know. Life is pretty lonely and miserable without friends, family, or meaningful human connections. It's become unbearable. On the other hand, I seem to hurt others, and they leave without ever explaining why. The only thing I've been able to do to cope is obsessively pursue 3D art. It's the only thing keeping me on this planet right now.

Reactions: Zegers
sulli

sulli

Student
Jan 25, 2023
no idea but we've made it this far somehow so there has to be some way

Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
suicide does not just happen accidentally to a person. (usually) The people do not wake up one day and think why not killing myself today? It is rather a long process. The people wake up every single day with these thoughts. They ruminate so much about it. They despair they weigh the pros and cons on a daily basis. And one day they just decide now is my limit reached I cannot cope with this shit anymore. Personally I think it will be similar in my case.
Right. I feel broken. Societies should be about human welfare and not business but in this world that probably won't happen.

Reactions: katagiri83 and ashxia
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Such an interesting thread.
I think I'm broken, so much that I cannot even imagine a happy future for myself. It doesn't exist. I have a debilitating physical condition and as a consequence of that my personality became warped, my behavior intolerable. I cannot think straight anymore, my mind is drowning, I feel as though I have an actual black hole in my chest pulling me in. But, I think this feeling is older than my trauma. Honestly, I always felt a bit negative, anxious and empty. I think I was born this way. Something is not wired right in my brain. I've never hurt anybody without being provoked, but I have these aggressive outbursts, my mood changes often, I'm sensitive, insecure, shy, easily offended to the point I degrade myself. I always blame myself for everything and hate myself more than it's advisable.
It's interesting how it progressed. When I was about 7 years old, starting school and socializing on a bigger scale, I have vivid memories of me crying in front of a mirror, screaming to my desperate mother that "I'm ugly and want to die." That lasted forever (the feeling, not the crying), even when I was married and loved, up until the point when I did something so unbelievably stupid and ruined my health forever. Now, I realized how unimportant it all was and how determining myself in that way, being completely and utterly vain and petty, pushed me into determining myself for real. A real cliché self-prophetic hubris driven psychotic abuse of a moderately good hand. My life took a good trajectory at some point, but after the incident, I dug myself a hole and decided to play dead. Depression crippled me even more, and after my ex left me frustrations kicked in. Add a decade and a half to that equation and you get an shell of a man. I walk around and seeing people with a future makes me want to die. It's not jealousy. I'm happy for them. I smile at children and old couples. I try to be a helpful citizen even. It makes me feel like a have a purpose if I do something good. That was always a part of me as well.
Meanwhile I do drugs and alcohol almost like a maniac. I'm not yet at the bottom of that pit, but I could easily be close. With addictions, there's no way of knowing when you are gonna hit the ground before you do. My work could be at stake, and so can my livelihood, existence and freedom, which I very much enjoy.
So I guess I'm broken too. A lost cause. Sucks to be broken. I hurt other people and poison myself. All because of this old pull that makes everything implode into confusion, angst, despair and fatalism.
As for any advice, you pretty much summed it up. If you can find one thing that interests your and if you have at least a bit talent for it, you might get yourself out of your cage. I hope you are that lucky and dedicated.
Since I'm a burning bundle of trauma, I can't envision any way of fixing me up except accumulating more trauma so I break through the other side of suffering where I don't want anything anymore and feel fine about having no life. Radical as it may be, my life is going into that direction. I'm close to 40. There will never be less trauma than it already has. And there will never be less emptiness. So maybe I need to reach the bottom.

• Hugs
Reactions: katagiri83 and noname223