S

SadLoser

Jul 31, 2021
Maybe a weird place to ask, but it is Off-topic, so...

Basically I have no friends, no social life, never had a girlfriend (due to anxiety) and I feel super lonely. Since I have no friends, I have no one to take photos of me and even if I did i'd feel it'd be way too cringe-worthy to ask.

I bought a tripod and I want to take it outside to get some decent pictures of myself, but I don't know where. It has to be a place with good lighting and no people around. Any tips?

• Hugs
Reactions: MeltedJello
X

xyzasd

Nov 3, 2021
I have no idea about photography, but maybe you could go in one of these things where one can take pictures for passports.

Reactions: SadLoser
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
A nature trail on a nice overcast day would be a good start... or outside your house, or inside can be fine too. I personally don't think it's cringe-worthy to ask for help with that, but I can definitely understand why you feel that way.

Reactions: SadLoser and Idontrecognizemyself
Idontrecognizemyself

Idontrecognizemyself

Thank you for listening
Oct 26, 2021
Okay I love making dating profiles this is my time to shine haha

On Tinder it is super easy to change your Gender and Preferred Gender settings (if you can't find this, lmk I can try to help). Switch these so you are seeing Your Gender (I am assuming you are a man but correct me if I am wrong!) from the perspective of Your desired partner's gender (I believe you said girlfriend). This is going to bring up the profiles people will see along side with yours. (I try to do this every time I move to a new place, because location changes the available dating pool pretty drastically!). Just swipe no on everyone who comes up so you don't match with them haha, but as you do, look at their profile and pictures and ask yourself a couple of questions:

-What about this person's photos makes them seem approachable/unapproachable? What posing or subject matter makes me more interested in the person? What makes me get bored and move on?

-Did they say anything in their bio that seemed like an immediate red flag, or did they word something in a fun way that I can steal? (You can totally steal also haha) Do I like how they are speaking about themselves? What kind of things do they talk about?

Once you've got a good idea of the competition in the area, you can set all your settings back to normal, and use those observations to curate your account. Some suggestions off the top of my head from my many years as a straight girl on tinder:

-Muscle bros are terrifying and anyone who is like shirtless in their profile is a red flag haha. Don't get caught up on what other people in your area *look* like, this is more about how you present yourself, how you speak about yourself and about others, etc.

-Tripod is a GREAT start. I automatically swipe past anyone who doesn't look like they put time and effort into their account- I do! It's like an equivalent exchange. Put on a nice outfit or two, show off some things you're proud of or want to reference in your bio, smile šŸ˜. I promise it will go over well.

-I only mention because we're on SS, a tinder bio is not the best place to "this is cringe" or "I have no friends" or "I don't know what I'm even doing here". I see that wayyyyy too much on tinder and all that communicates to me is that you're going to get self conscious in 2 days and delete your account and I'll never hear from you again. You are absolutely able to find friends and love as a suicidal person, just build a foundation first. I met my long term partner on Tinder, their account was super geeky pictures of their extensive tabletop collection and some of their favorite memes, lots of smiles. 1 or 2 weeks into serious talking they brought up wanting to confide in me about their debilitating depression and suicidality, and I felt really respected by that kind of timeline.

Sorry if that was all over the place, lmk if you have any additional questions I would LOVE to help. Good luck! oh and also I've also heard from male partners in the past that tindergold is worth the money if you're not getting a lot of hits, and it's on sale pretty frequently.

• Wow
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc, Lone_Gray_Wolf, MeltedJello and 1 other person
S

SadLoser

Jul 31, 2021
A nature trail on a nice overcast day would be a good start... or outside your house, or inside can be fine too. I personally don't think it's cringe-worthy to ask for help with that, but I can definitely understand why you feel that way.
It isn't to a normal person, but it's just way out of my comfort zone. That's why I bought the tripod. Asking people would be way more of a headache than even the best Tinder results would be worth.

I have no idea about photography, but maybe you could go in one of these things where one can take pictures for passports.
Not a bad idea actually. Wouldn't that make it kinda obvious that I used one of those though? I don't know if I like that. Kinda want to make it look like someone else took it, to show I have something resembling a social life.

On Tinder it is super easy to change your Gender and Preferred Gender settings (if you can't find this, lmk I can try to help). Switch these so you are seeing Your Gender (I am assuming you are a man but correct me if I am wrong!) from the perspective of Your desired partner's gender (I believe you said girlfriend). This is going to bring up the profiles people will see along side with yours. (I try to do this every time I move to a new place, because location changes the available dating pool pretty drastically!). Just swipe no on everyone who comes up so you don't match with them haha, but as you do, look at their profile and pictures and ask yourself a couple of questions:

-What about this person's photos makes them seem approachable/unapproachable? What posing or subject matter makes me more interested in the person? What makes me get bored and move on?

-Did they say anything in their bio that seemed like an immediate red flag, or did they word something in a fun way that I can steal? (You can totally steal also haha) Do I like how they are speaking about themselves? What kind of things do they talk about?

Once you've got a good idea of the competition in the area, you can set all your settings back to normal, and use those observations to curate your account. Some suggestions off the top of my head from my many years as a straight girl on tinder:

-Muscle bros are terrifying and anyone who is like shirtless in their profile is a red flag haha. Don't get caught up on what other people in your area *look* like, this is more about how you present yourself, how you speak about yourself and about others, etc.

-Tripod is a GREAT start. I automatically swipe past anyone who doesn't look like they put time and effort into their account- I do! It's like an equivalent exchange. Put on a nice outfit or two, show off some things you're proud of or want to reference in your bio, smile šŸ˜. I promise it will go over well.

-I only mention because we're on SS, a tinder bio is not the best place to "this is cringe" or "I have no friends" or "I don't know what I'm even doing here". I see that wayyyyy too much on tinder and all that communicates to me is that you're going to get self conscious in 2 days and delete your account and I'll never hear from you again. You are absolutely able to find friends and love as a suicidal person, just build a foundation first. I met my long term partner on Tinder, their account was super geeky pictures of their extensive tabletop collection and some of their favorite memes, lots of smiles. 1 or 2 weeks into serious talking they brought up wanting to confide in me about their debilitating depression and suicidality, and I felt really respected by that kind of timeline.

Sorry if that was all over the place, lmk if you have any additional questions I would LOVE to help. Good luck! oh and also I've also heard from male partners in the past that tindergold is worth the money if you're not getting a lot of hits, and it's on sale pretty frequently.
Thanks so much for the advice. Yup, i'm a straight guy, probably the last thing you want to be on Tinder, but going by IRL experiences, I don't think it should be as terrifying as I heard.
I'm also definitely not muscular or lean enough to take a shirtless pic haha.
Like I asked in the OP, can you think of a spot that doesn't have people but also has good lighting? Would a forest be okay?

Last edited:
Idontrecognizemyself

Idontrecognizemyself

Thank you for listening
Oct 26, 2021
can you think of a spot that doesn't have people but also has good lighting? Would a forest be okay?
Forest would be great! (Also gives a fun outdoorsy vibe too) Anywhere with indirect light is going to have the best pictures, so the tree-cover from a forest would be perfect. As @ Numbitall said, overcast weather is also ideal, and my personal favorite, just near a window (but not in DIRECT) sunlight in your own home. Don't even gotta leave! I think a variety of places would also be good (visually interesting to see on a profile) if you have the energy/ capacity to go outside.

Lone_Gray_Wolf

Lone_Gray_Wolf

Fate plays chess with 2 queens
Aug 21, 2020
Ngl I enjoyed reading through all that you typed regarding this question, not because I need it, but because of the genuine interest that you showed.

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: SadLoser, Shadowplay and Idontrecognizemyself
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I always (when I do selfies) stand in a way that the sun in front of me. Inside I use a window (facing towards it) and outside I try do make out where it comes from and turn accordingly.This way your face will be very well lit and focused on.

Also I try use an angle from above or at least in the height of my face - you can also use a tripod for stabilization.

I mostly always have some kind of simple make-up on & brushed my hair and wear something I like and feel that it looks good.

Other than that for tinder - swiping experiences with a friends profile - besides a selfie - it's always nice to see sbs full body & in different locations.
Also the higher resolution a picture is the better. We at least decided to only swipe those ones with more than 1 picture.

Reactions: SadLoser and Idontrecognizemyself
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I wish you luck in your endeavors. Unlike you, none of this advice would help me because I'm too ugly anyway.

I've had pictures of me taken by other people who thought they would help but the fact I still get no matches just shows that no amount of sparkles and glitter can make a garbage bag look appealing.

Then again maybe my bio just sucks but I've also had people workshop it but there's nothing positive that can be said about me that wouldn't be a lie or some other form of crafty manipulationā€¦

Reactions: xyzasd and LonelyBrazilian
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
There are lots of articles about it. I'd suggest googling for them. Also, look at other users's photos. What kind of photos do you like? Copy them.

Reactions: Idontrecognizemyself