T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
I messed up.
I told my best friend about my ctb plans.
He's very shocked and he's not doing well at all since I told him.
He noticed that I was abnormally upset, distant and serious and he knows me inside out.
He knew there was something wrong even though I was trying to make myself appear as normal as possible.
I told him that I've changed my mind about ctb and it was just a phase.
I'm not sure if he believed me, but I'd like to take extra precautions just in case.

I'm assuming he might call the police if I don't answer my phone when he calls.
What I want to know is:
How can I make my smartphone untraceable when I attempt to go to my ctb location?
I know the authorities can trace the signal(triagulation) and other means.
I'm aware phones leave traces when they connect to various towers even if those towers don't belong to your provider(used for emergency purposes).
My phone is a modern phone with a non-removable battery, so I cannot just simply shut it off.
Flight mode would not be enough and I think taking out the SIM won't do much.
The tinfoil trick won't do either, the phone most likely would use more processing power to improve the signal.
So far, I have completely debloated my phone, I removed Google play services and other Google and OEM related software.
If I remove my SIM card, would this be enough?
I need my phone for directions to my ctb location.

• Hugs
Reactions: lobster salad, Pen>Sword, death137 and 2 others
PursuitofWonder

PursuitofWonder

Student
Dec 12, 2020
You can't really make your phone untraceable with certainty especially from the police. The best thing you can do is get a cheap burner phone with service for like 50 bucks and tell nobody if it's existence.

Reactions: lobster salad, Pen>Sword, MiserableBastard1995 and 7 others
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I don't think that's possible, you just gotta get rid of your phone and get a burner one or something. I'm guessing that most ppl are somewhat attached to their phone so you're probably not gonna just throw it away. Maybe talk to your friend and tell him that you're okay? Unless you want to be helped of course

Reactions: Pen>Sword, MiserableBastard1995, Midnight-rain and 3 others
Maka hiamoe

Maka hiamoe

Dec 10, 2020
My phone is a modern phone with a non-removable battery, so I cannot just simply shut it off.
[...]
The tinfoil trick won't do either, the phone most likely would use more processing power to improve the signal.
[...]
I didn't really understand at what moment specifically you need to use your phone for directions to your ctb location so my answer may not solve your problem. Some people sell faraday bags for cell phones which are supposed to block all signals. I don't know if they are effective but it might be something worth looking into.

Reactions: MiserableBastard1995 and death137
MrAsclepius

MrAsclepius

Грустная Сука
Jul 31, 2020
Bring a refrigerator with you? Get a burner if you must take a phone.

Reactions: death137
BehindTheWall

BehindTheWall

May 21th 2020
Aug 26, 2020
If you turn off your phone before going to the location, the police will not have your current position. It is how it works here, so it must be the same in your country.

Reactions: Pen>Sword, death137 and NodusTollens
T

Thanatos123

Student
Feb 18, 2020
You can't really make your phone untraceable with certainty especially from the police. The best thing you can do is get a cheap burner phone with service for like 50 bucks and tell nobody if it's existence.
You mean a burner number, smarrphone or both?
I don't think that's possible, you just gotta get rid of your phone and get a burner one or something. I'm guessing that most ppl are somewhat attached to their phone so you're probably not gonna just throw it away. Maybe talk to your friend and tell him that you're okay? Unless you want to be helped of course
I'll start looking for a burner number. Can I use my existing device with the burner number?

Regarding my best buddy, no I don't want to get help.
I'm going blind and no one can help me with my condition.
I didn't really understand at what moment specifically you need to use your phone for directions to your ctb location so my answer may not solve your problem. Some people sell faraday bags for cell phones which are supposed to block all signals. I don't know if they are effective but it might be something worth looking into.
I need a mapping service/GPS to drive to my remote lication.

I'll look into those farraday cages.
If you turn off your phone before going to the location, the police will not have your current position. It is how it works here, so it must be the same in your country.
I don't think that will work either.
By turning the phone off, the device still uses the battery.
If I take out my SIM and put my phone to flight mode, would it help?

Last edited:
Reactions: death137
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Throw it away, Print paper maps, or get a burner phone. There are no other solutions if you need it for directions.

• Love
Reactions: MiserableBastard1995
PursuitofWonder

PursuitofWonder

Student
Dec 12, 2020
You mean a burner number, smarrphone or both?

I'll start looking for a burner number. Can I use my existing device with the burner number?

Regarding my best buddy, no I don't want to get help.
I'm going blind and no one can help me with my condition.

I need a mapping service/GPS to drive to my remote lication.

I'll look into those farraday cages.

I don't think that will work either.
By turning the phone off, the device still uses the battery.
If I take out my SIM and put my phone to flight mode, would it help?
You would need both a burner number and phone. Cheap smartphones can be had for less than 30, here's one from 20 bucks https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tracfonestore/phones/lg-rebel-4-(l212vl)-tflml212vl-p
Plans can vary depending on what you need but for 20 bucks a month on tracfone you get unlimited talk and text with 1gig of data. That should be enough for maps and whatever else you'll need that day. Total cost of that would be 40 plus shipping. Look into it more but that's the general idea, best of luck man!

Reactions: Pen>Sword and MiserableBastard1995
M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018
I messed up.
I told my best friend about my ctb plans.
He's very shocked and he's not doing well at all since I told him.
He noticed that I was abnormally upset, distant and serious and he knows me inside out.
He knew there was something wrong even though I was trying to make myself appear as normal as possible.
I told him that I've changed my mind about ctb and it was just a phase.
I'm not sure if he believed me, but I'd like to take extra precautions just in case.

I'm assuming he might call the police if I don't answer my phone when he calls.
What I want to know is:
How can I make my smartphone untraceable when I attempt to go to my ctb location?
I know the authorities can trace the signal(triagulation) and other means.
I'm aware phones leave traces when they connect to various towers even if those towers don't belong to your provider(used for emergency purposes).
Flight mode would not be enough and I think taking out the SIM won't do much.
So far, I have completely debloated my phone, I removed Google play services and other Google and OEM related software.
If I remove my SIM card, would this be enough?
Just say you are going to see about a girl. Done no one going to freak out on you if they think you are in love.

Forgotten

Forgotten

Student
Aug 19, 2020
Get a GPS device, these can't be tracked.

In theory, removing the SIM card, turning on flight mode and restarting it should at least in theory make it untraceable as the device won't even attempt to communicate with cellular towers. But yeah, removing the battery was the only fail-safe method that would guarantee that the device is completely dead and untraceable.