NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
How do you respond to this meaningless question? I don't want to lie, but I also don't want to bombard the person with negativity when they are just trying to be polite. I usually stick to something completely neutral like "okay" or "still exist." The simplest of small talk can be so exhausting.

Reactions: Circles, windingdown, betteroffdead and 4 others
Desperate_Soul

Desperate_Soul

I'll See You Guys On The Other Side Of The Rainbow
Aug 26, 2018
It depends on the situation and the person, but I usually just say "I'm okay" and carry on with the main reason we're interacting in the first place (like a business phone call, or ordering food)... on special occasions though, if I feel like it, I'll stick in something about the weather or whatever is relevant at the moment, and they'll just nod and smile. and if I asked them how they are, they would reply similarly.

Reactions: lv-gras and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
It depends on the situation and the person, but I usually just say "I'm okay" and carry on with the main reason we're interacting in the first place (like a business phone call, or ordering food)... on special occasions though, if I feel like it, I'll stick in something about the weather or whatever is relevant at the moment, and they'll just nod and smile. and if I asked them how they are, they would reply similarly.
Can you imagine if you said how you really felt - they would not know what to say and run a mile !

Reactions: tearsinrain, lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
Lunar

Lunar

Student
Aug 14, 2018
That very question "how are you?" when someone asks feels me with intense anxiety. I tend to just reply with "fine, you?" so many use it as a conversation starter as well, but it just makes me scream internally and I want to flee out of the conversation as quickly as possible.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Cherry Crumpet, NumbItAll and 4 others
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
He was an understanding teacher then !
I guess its just what we say to people on greeting them , Are you OK?
I've stopped answering the question now and swiftly move on.

Reactions: lv-gras and Desperate_Soul
sadak_the_wanderer

sadak_the_wanderer

An appropriate painting
Mar 19, 2018
"Great! How are you?" I smile. If anyone can tell otherwise, they aren't letting on. I do hate the question, though, because I naturally wonder, "Well, how am I?" Then I realize how I am, which is not good, and it kind of kills my mood.

Reactions: lv-gras and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals