WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
I don't even have life experience to draw from to accurately and honestly complete those personality tests and aptitude tests that list careers after you've completed it. I have always taken life day by day ever since I was a kid, with no thought or regard for the future. The future has arrived for me now. The oldest I thought I would ever be when I was a kid was age 15. I'm past age 15 now. I didn't expect life to continue beyond this.

What value is there in persisting? Where do I go with my life? It's not love that makes the world go around, it's money. Is there really any value in existing?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: CTBKnight, doormat25, lemonbunny and 6 others
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Even being a monk seems like a passion so I dunno. You didn't give up everything if you found your purpose in something.

And some of us can't really fit into a role or stick with it. I always got bored of everything after enough time went by and then I needed stronger stimuli, which was a recipe for "disaster" in society constructed as it is.

It is all about conformity if you don't want to be alienated by almost every group. But even if you are fine by yourself you are still not guaranteed to have a purpose.

I don't think one is needed anyway or crucial to achieve some peace of mind here and there. You can just be. At the end of the day humans are the ones slaping labels on everything and deciding right from wrong.

Reactions: doormat25, WhatPowerIs and sserafim
Tired_of_myself

Tired_of_myself

Jan 2, 2024
I don't know your age, so I don't know exactly where you are in life.
I am an adult (30+) and based on my personal experience, I suggest that you look for a career not based on passion... just something that is not unbearable to make but makes a little money. Just because financial independence will bring you other forms of independence and freedom. and work - regardless social media promotes - is the end is just work, not you whole life...
I've always been a depressed person, since I was a kid, so I never saw purpose in things either... It was always very difficult to put energy into studies and work. I just went with the flow... then one day I was working corporately and it was unbearable - it was totally against my principles and it depressed me. I left and now I'm looking for a new career that is more aligned with my goals in the workplace - which are respect for others, not having toxic competitiveness and those kind of things. Making list of your personal values can help for making career decisions, it may seem silly...

I don't know if you have hobbies and passions, but I believe that's what makes us endure this meaningless world... and live one day at a time.
wish you well

Reactions: sserafim and bed
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Some people have little or no ambition. (My husband is one.) Some have a lot. (I was one.) There is nothing wrong with either personality. But you might consider finding a partner who has the qualities that you lack. And if you have qualities that your partner lacks, so much the better. It makes for a good team.

Reactions: CTBKnight and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I'm wondering this as well. Most people have desires, dreams, ambitions and goals that keep them going. I guess those are their reasons and motivation to live, they have something to strive towards and look forward to. Personally, I don't want anything out of life. Honestly, I don't even know why I'm still existing.

• Hugs
Reactions: ijustwishtodie, CTBKnight and WhatPowerIs
WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
I'm wondering this as well. Most people have desires, dreams, ambitions and goals that keep them going. I guess those are their reasons and motivation to live, they have something to strive towards and look forward to. Personally, I don't want anything out of life. Honestly, I don't even know why I'm still existing.
I don't know why I'm existing either. Nothing about recovery that I'm told consistently makes me sound very hopeful. A great deal of importance is placed on "hobbies", which just sound vague to me - people with sedentary hobbies like playing video games or watching movies or reading are looked down upon because the nature of those hobbies are sedentary. If we cannot even have our own hobbies to ourselves without being judged, what makes the rest of life worth living?
As well, people place a lot of importance on human connection. All human connection has ever brought me is discomfort, hurt, anger - pain.
If I have no dreams, if I hate connecting with people, if I'm judged… then I'm living the life of a zombie.
Some people have little or no ambition. (My husband is one.) Some have a lot. (I was one.) There is nothing wrong with either personality. But you might consider finding a partner who has the qualities that you lack. And if you have qualities that your partner lacks, so much the better. It makes for a good team.
I find it hard to even find friends in real life let alone a partner. I find it really hard to imagine myself with anybody. I always liked going about things alone but I'm always told I can't live life that way. I have issues with my self esteem and general appearance and I don't even know how to fix either of those because depression is weighing me down constantly. I also feel afraid.
I don't know your age, so I don't know exactly where you are in life.
I am an adult (30+) and based on my personal experience, I suggest that you look for a career not based on passion... just something that is not unbearable to make but makes a little money. Just because financial independence will bring you other forms of independence and freedom. and work - regardless social media promotes - is the end is just work, not you whole life...
I've always been a depressed person, since I was a kid, so I never saw purpose in things either... It was always very difficult to put energy into studies and work. I just went with the flow... then one day I was working corporately and it was unbearable - it was totally against my principles and it depressed me. I left and now I'm looking for a new career that is more aligned with my goals in the workplace - which are respect for others, not having toxic competitiveness and those kind of things. Making list of your personal values can help for making career decisions, it may seem silly...

I don't know if you have hobbies and passions, but I believe that's what makes us endure this meaningless world... and live one day at a time.
wish you well
That's what I'm trying to do by getting a college degree. I find it unbearable and the prospect of finding a job at all makes me uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim
CTBKnight

CTBKnight

Taking the path of least resistance
Feb 20, 2024
Yeah, I get what you mean. I am 19 and I just kind of take the path of least resistance in all my decisions. I chose a career path that I don't hate but am not super passionate about either (Accounting). It makes money, doesn't require too much school, great job security, etc. but it really is just kind of boring. But I got to a point where no matter what I do I am bored (even playing videogames or pursuing "hobbies"). For me being bored is the norm (I have ADHD) and nothing changes much. Just kinda take the path of least resistance. I don't have much motivation to live but I also don't want to die either. I just kinda go along with it. I am a nihilist so I believe that life has meaning where the individual grants it, which could be money but money is only so exciting and love often feels fleeting. Hopefully you find something that excites you, I wish you the best of luck!