Blue Rose

Blue Rose

Student
Feb 6, 2021
There is a bridge called Mapo-bridge, and so many people had jumped into a river on this bridge.
Then, others(pro-lifer, celebrity, etc)had devised the comments to prevent people from suicide, and attached them to the bridge railing.

Ladies and Gentlemen! These are the fragments of pro-lifer's consciousness and the average point of them in South Korea!

* Trigger Warning! And sorry for my poor translation.

기분이 꿀꿀할땐 기지개 한 번 켜고 파란 하늘을 봐 봐
When you are feeling low, stretch and see the blue sky

음... 힘든 일들 모두 그냥, 지나가는 바람이라 생각해 보면 어떨까?
Um... Why don't you consider your all suffering as the wind pass by?

암 것도 아니여 고민 같은 거, 나이 들어 봐 이그...
Your all suffering is nothing, if you get old... Tut...

3년 전에 고민한 거 기억나세요? 기억 안 나죠? 이번에도 그럴 거예요.
Could you recall what you agonised in three years ago? Couldn't you? After three years, you will not be able to recall them too.

마음을 열어 보세요. 혼자가 아닙니다, 당신은.
Open your heart. You are not alone, You are.

수영 잘해요?
Are you good at swimming?

이렇게 사는 내가 가엾지 않은가요.
Don't you feel pity for who lives in like that?

I laughed at them, and resented. I am SURE that it can NEVER persuade people who would like to pass by.
What the! They MADE a huge mistake, but fortunately, many of Koreans resented too.

Eventually, They were removed in 2019.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: 262653, Sprite_Geist, imsorrythatimhere and 1 other person
imsorrythatimhere

imsorrythatimhere

They/He
Jan 18, 2021
How shitty lmao
"Your all suffering is nothing, if you get old"

Reactions: Sprite_Geist and Blue Rose
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
ok typically i think, at least theyre trying. but i can see how some of those can only make it worse. the first one isnt so bad, i kind of like it. the rest of them are another story

Reactions: Blue Rose
K

kekcal24

Dec 28, 2020
According to Wikipedia the "encouraging phrases" were removed because they did nothing to lower suicide rates, so a classic barrier was set up to make it harder for people to jump. What a beautiful world we live in.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist and Blue Rose
Blue Rose

Blue Rose

Student
Feb 6, 2021
ok typically i think, at least theyre trying. but i can see how some of those can only make it worse. the first one isnt so bad, i kind of like it. the rest of them are another story

Some comments may prevent them from their attempting. But there was a big problem.
Most of people who came to this bridge were desperate. Literally.

Last edited:
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Some comments may prevent them from their attempting. But there is a big problem.
Most of people who came to this bridge are desperate. Literally.
im trying to figure out the "are you good at swimming?" one. they came there to jump and die, weird feeling they dont care

• Aww..
Blue Rose

Blue Rose

Student
Feb 6, 2021
According to Wikipedia the "encouraging phrases" were removed because they did nothing to lower suicide rates, so a classic barrier was set up to make it harder for people to jump. What a beautiful world we live in.

Thanks for your posting. probably some people were persuaded. But that's all.
im trying to figure out the "are you good at swimming?" one. they came there to jump and die, weird feeling they dont care

I was shocked. But it was!
How shitty lmao

*Sigh...*

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
How shitty lmao

Possible translation: "We do not care about your problems; now get back to work until you grow old."

• Wow
Reactions: imsorrythatimhere, 262653 and Blue Rose
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
From China to S. Korea to Thailand, it feels like humans, especially their own citizens are nothing but a number. An automaton in the grand scheme of things that help makes their countries productive, so they snidely react to suicide as an inconvenience. An emotional weakness that should be swept under the rug and never mentioned again. That's why most of the SE Asia are ignorant towards mental health and they wonder why most of their young population are unmarried, hikkomori's, and suicidal. They are all in denial.

• Aww..
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Could you read Korean? I wonder if I translated them well or not.

No I cannot Korean unfortunately.

...Oh. I understand now - there might be some confusion. My quote above is not the actual translation of the original Korean text, it was intended to be sarcastic or mocking toward it. I was trying to say that I think those phrases are dismissive of the suffering that suicidal people go through - hence the "we do not care about your problems" part; in other words: the anti-choice/"pro-life" comments on the signs are doublespeak. Maybe I should have clarified that before. Apologies.

Blue Rose

Blue Rose

Student
Feb 6, 2021
No I cannot Korean unfortunately.

...Oh. I understand now - there might be some confusion. My quote above is not the actual translation of the original Korean text, it was intended to be sarcastic or mocking toward it. I was trying to say that I think those phrases are dismissive of the suffering that suicidal people go through - hence the "we do not care about your problems" part; in other words: the anti-choice/"pro-life" comments on the signs are doublespeak. Maybe I should have clarified that before. Apologies.
Oh that's okay. You don't have to do so.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist