C

Catofsorrow

Sep 3, 2020
I heard that if you ctb in your own house the housing price may fall drastically for the owner. I am just wondering if I do ctb in my home would it cause alot of problems for my family if they decide to move out afterwards?

Reactions: _Minsk
PJFord

PJFord

Student
Jul 27, 2020
I don't know the answer to your question, however, real estate agents are required by law to disclose significant incidents, including suicides, that happened in a house for sale. That could effect the sale depending on the housing market in your area.

Reactions: _Minsk
F

failedjedi

Sep 8, 2020
The house across the street from me had a suicide. The bank took it. They sold it at typical foreclosure prices for the area, the new owner remodeled it and then listed and sold it for above average price for the area. So in this one isolated case at least, it made no difference on the value. I can't speak for a trend or every case.

T

tidalwxves

Student
Sep 8, 2020
I heard that if you ctb in your own house the housing price may fall drastically for the owner. I am just wondering if I do ctb in my home would it cause alot of problems for my family if they decide to move out afterwards?
Legally, at least in the state of Texas (but I'm pretty sure this applies to many others in the US) you are required to report murders and interestingly enough hauntings but not suicide. Deaths related to the property are also required to be disclosed, like if an accident happened the seller would need to disclose accident so the potential buyer would be aware of the potential danger. In some states you are only required to disclose it for a certain number of years so if the death happened long enough ago its a non issue, you have to look up the laws where you live there is no federal law. A good agent will know how to tactfully protect their client's privacy as well as the value of the home. Laws vary but there are many precautions that can be taken. Search stigmatized property + whatever state you live in for specifics.

Reactions: Catofsorrow