Q

qw3rty259

Experienced
Jun 19, 2023
I believe in clinical depression, where the chemistry of one's brain is just disrupted and it doesn't get all the needed neurochemicals that basically make us happy.

But I don't believe that what we call depression is a disease, and moreover, that that's a disease that can be treated by medications. I think that it's just a reaction to what is happening in your life and is normal. Because due to the situation in your life, your brain doesn't have a source of those chemicals. It won't come up by itself if you have no reason to be down. Medications surely can get you a boost by uplifting your mood so that managing the real problems that caused you to feel this way would become easier. But it won't fix your problem by itself.

Reactions: HereTomorrow and Forever Sleep
alienfreak

alienfreak

A danger to myself
Sep 25, 2024
The whole chemical model of "mental illness" is absurd to me, along with the concept of mental illness itself. If i hug someone i love and feel good about it then it would causally lead to chemical changes and oxytocin release, but that doesnt make it an invalid reaction or invalidate the emotional experience. People seem to want to reverse the cause-and-effect only when it's a negative emotion, to invalidate the negative emotions, because our culture is desperate to tell people that life is good and worth living. There are few exceptions like schizophrenia or brain tumor etc.

The concept of mental illness has medicalised problems of living. Doctors are meant to perform medicine, not be masters of life and life coaches who tell us how to live and how to be happy based on cultural norms and the demands of society. Modern society is spiritually lost and culturally sick, trying to apply science where it doesnt work

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: astr4, SweetItalianS, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
Tig

Tig

Oct 17, 2024
I didn't know anything about mental illness till I got my first diagnosis and label 25 years ago.
Over time it's mostly just cost lots of money to gain even more labels
And the addiction problems that came with the meds.
Now I'm not living anymore just surviving through the days, hoping to die.
I'd be more economically sound and a lot happier if no one had told me something was wrong with me.
Be careful what you believe when Dr's speak.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep and alienfreak
Q

qw3rty259

Experienced
Jun 19, 2023
People seem to want to reverse the cause-and-effect only when it's a negative emotion, to invalidate the negative emotions, because our culture is desperate to tell people that life is good and worth living.
While I agree with this.
The whole chemical model of "mental illness" is absurd to me, along with the concept of mental illness itself.
There are few exceptions like schizophrenia
I disagree with this since a lot of disorders involve a brain chemistry factor and schizophrenia isn't an exception.

• Informative
Reactions: wren-briar
MelancholyMagic

MelancholyMagic

For my next trick, I will disappear
Dec 12, 2021
The chemical imbalance theory was invented by drug companies, and we have swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. Thanks Pfizer!

Reactions: astr4 and NumbItAll