C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
Hey. Hope this becomes a discussion thread about history and anything that has to do with it. And if there's no discussion I'll just post anything and talk to myself. I'll post videos, articles or anything else about any history and will share with you what if anything I learned from it. If anyone wants to post anything they know about history also please do. Given I haven't seen many people on here talk about history I take it I'll be doing most of this but that's okay atleast this gives me something to do. But if you could please don't troll and post things unrelated to history. That is all.

I'll start with what I listened to earlier about Romanian history. This is a documentary about Ceausescu who was a communist dictator of Romania.

I know this fact is trivial compared to what he has done but i thought it was weird. I learned that his main hobby was hunting and he even imported polar bears to hunt them but they all died before he could kill them. Well.

I'll post more later.

• Love
Reactions: little helpers, Fragile, Silenos and 3 others
TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
Hey. Hope this becomes a discussion thread about history and anything that has to do with it. And if there's no discussion I'll just post anything and talk to myself. I'll post videos, articles or anything else about any history and will share with you what if anything I learned from it. If anyone wants to post anything they know about history also please do. Given I haven't seen many people on here talk about history I take it I'll be doing most of this but that's okay atleast this gives me something to do. But if you could please don't troll and post things unrelated to history. That is all.

I'll start with what I listened to earlier about Romanian history. This is a documentary about Ceausescu who was a communist dictator of Romania.

I know this fact is trivial compared to what he has done but i thought it was weird. I learned that his main hobby was hunting and he even imported polar bears to hunt them but they all died before he could kill them. Well.

I'll post more later.

Ceausescu was a bit weird to me. Also the way he speaks sounds funny for me. I heard he was also pretty much gullible and his wife was actually taking the state level decisions instead of him. Imo he was the classical simple man who didn't have much but when he got to power he showed his true nature as is the case when humans get into a position of power.

That being said, I have no clue why many Romanians like him and even see him as a hero. I'm a Romanian myself and I don't like this guy. The only thing he achieved was to make the country some sort of power outside, but from that resulted huge debts. inside the country it was chaos and people suffered loooots in order to have those debts paid. the fact that the food was rationed was simply inhumane. abortions and contraception were also made illegal, women were manually having abortion in secret and many died. this shitty thing also lead to many unwanted kids who by 1989 onwards were sent in foster homes which became full because of this. some were adopted by foreigners, while others probably went the dark illegal path.

It was pure suffering, but it was under communism so we can understand. We're still haunted by this even after 32 years.

Edit: I got an album on Pinterest full of WW2 photos, might post interesting ones on here later.

Last edited:
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Ego Sum Medusa and 1 other person
Ego Sum Medusa

Ego Sum Medusa

I am the Crone.
Sep 28, 2021

I'll post more later.

This is such a cool idea! Both the history thread and creating a thread you are prepared to write in solely if no one else is interested. I love that. I wanna do that too. LOL

As I'm very interested in history, I'll likely be posting little tidbits here and there. Hope it's okay if they're simply random thoughts that bubble up.

• Hugs
Reactions: lostundead and Circles
C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
Ceausescu was a bit weird to me. Also the way he speaks sounds funny for me. I heard he was also pretty much gullible and his wife was actually taking the state level decisions instead of him. Imo he was the classical simple man who didn't have much but when he got to power he showed his true nature as is the case when humans get into a position of power.

That being said, I have no clue why many Romanians like him and even see him as a hero. I'm a Romanian myself and I don't like this guy. The only thing he achieved was to make the country some sort of power outside, but from that resulted huge debts. inside the country it was chaos and people suffered loooots in order to have those debts paid. the fact that the food was rationed was simply inhumane. abortions and contraception were also made illegal, women were manually having abortion in secret and many died. this shitty thing also lead to many unwanted kids who by 1989 onwards were sent in foster homes which became full because of this. some were adopted by foreigners, while others probably went the dark illegal path.

It was pure suffering, but it was under communism so we can understand. We're still haunted by this even after 32 years.
How random that someone is from Romania and saw this. Thank You for your reply. It's kinda cool getting the perspective of people who lived through this. I hate that people have to suffer so much all because of 1 man or a small circle of assholes. What I don't get is why Romanian people put up with him for so long when he was obviously a weak man. The only thing I guess from what little I learned from the few documentaries about the whole situation is that Romanians are taught to respect and obey authority figures and older people. Is that true?
This is such a cool idea! Both the history thread and creating a thread you are prepared to write in solely if no one else is interested. I love that. I wanna do that too. LOL

As I'm very interested in history, I'll likely be posting little tidbits here and there. Hope it's okay if they're simply random thoughts that bubble up.
Please share whatever you like.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Ego Sum Medusa and TheHatedOne
Ego Sum Medusa

Ego Sum Medusa

I am the Crone.
Sep 28, 2021
"abortions and contraception were also made illegal"

It's interesting that the above was created under a communist regime while Mao Zedong's leadership of communist China encouraged as many births as possible and it wasn't until the take over by Deng Xiaoping (still communist, albeit more shakily at that time) that the one child policy was put into place.

Now that I write it, I'm not sure what my point is. Ha. -- I'm going to blame that on, um... stress and being overly excited about a history thread.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, little helpers and TheHatedOne
TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
How random that someone is from Romania and saw this. Thank You for your reply. It's kinda cool getting the perspective of people who lived through this. I hate that people have to suffer so much all because of 1 man or a small circle of assholes. What I don't get is why Romanian people put up with him for so long when he was obviously a weak man. The only thing I guess from what little I learned from the few documentaries about the whole situation is that Romanian culture is that sheer respect and obedience to authority figures and older people. Is that true?
No, I didn't live through this. I was born in 2001, long after it all happened. All I know is from older people, school, internet. Here's the thing, we as a nation are very meek like and we don't like confrontation, even when someone tramples over us. This is why we never conquered other territories and throughout history it was just us fighting for our integrity and not the other way. Even today, we don't really rise up against the injustice and bullshit the government does, only once in a moon and for outrageous reasons like ''muh freedomz gone'' because you have to wear a piece of cloth over your mouth and nose.

• Hugs
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and Circles
C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
No, I didn't live through this. I was born in 2001, long after it all happened. All I know is from older people, school, internet. Here's the thing, we as a nation are very meek like and we don't like confrontation, even when someone tramples over us. This is why we never conquered other territories and throughout history it was just us fighting for our integrity and not the other way. Even today, we don't really rise up against the injustice and bullshit the government does, only once in a moon and for outrageous reasons like ''muh freedomz gone'' because you have to wear a piece of cloth over your mouth and nose.
Oh okay apologies for assuming. And Thank you for explaining that to me. I now wonder what creates nations to want to conquer versus the ones that doesn't. Especially given Romania being situated between great powers throughout history you'd think they would try to expand like other nations have by expanding in order to defend. But I know they couldn't expand much anyway because of its location and being divided by Austria-Hungary, Russia and such.

Reactions: TheHatedOne
TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
Here I come with the WW2 photos chosen from the album I have with photos collected over time. Looking at WW2 photos and footage is a hobby of mine, though I haven't done it since quite some time. I have photos with all the armies, all the sides, all the weapons etc. That being said:

Nazi troops share cigarettes with Soviet counterparts during the concurrent invasion of Poland, 1939. Notice the look on the face of the soldier(soviet tankman?) to the right.

Nazi troops share cigarettes with Soviet counterparts during their concurrent invasions of Pol

Soviet infantry advancing behind T-34 tanks during Battle of Orel, Russia, 1943.

Photo Soviet infantry advancing behind T 34 tanks during the Battle of Orel Russia early A

Soviet soldier writing a letter. He's holding a PPSH-41 submachine gun.

Once Upon a Time in War

Panzer 38(t) ausf. E German light tank

Pz Kpfw

British soldier taking aim with his rifle while in a tree, 1940.

British soldier taking aim with his rifle while in a tree 40

American soldier peering across a snowy field, 1945.

American soldier peering across a snowy field 45

Probably my favorite WW2 photo, shows soviet soldiers gathered at a piano in 1945. It looks really cozy and awakens a lot of feelings.

Romanians fighting on the Eastern Front

Romanians fighting on the Don

And that's all since there's a limit of images lol. If y'all want more I can do more parts. Got plenty of photos.

• Love
Reactions: whatevs, little helpers, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 6 others
lostundead

lostundead

Student
Mar 18, 2021
Fun fact: Hitler had no personal guards for his appartment and workplace in the Reichskanzlei. All you had to do was to somehow get past or eliminate the one guard at the main entrance, walk down some empy corridors then up the stairs et voilà you're at his office, no locked doors. You could also easily climb over to his balcony from the adjacent building which is just a few meters apart.
Bundesarchiv Bild 146 1990 048 29A Adolf Hitler retouched

• Informative
Reactions: little helpers and Circles
TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
I'm going to do a part 2 of WW2 photos series because I'm very bored. @Circles if you want I can make a separate thread to avoid spam. Here come another 8 photos (I hope all the photos will show since recently there have been troubles posting photos).

IMPORTANT: This photos are only for educational purposes. I don't support any army shown in the photos, not even the army of my own country.

Finland at War

Finnish sniper.

Finnish Infantryman With His Pet Bear Cub During WWII

Finnish infantryman with his pet bear cub.

Romanian soldier has a cigarette lit by his German comrade

Romanian soldier has his cigarette lit by his German ally.

Soviet female soldier
Soviet female soldier.
[ On the Soviet Union side there were plenty of female soldiers, most of them were snipers. One of the deadliest snipers in WW2 was soviet sniper Lyudmila Pavlichenko. She was credited with 309 confirmed deaths. ]

A soviet soldier reads newspaper near a DT-29 light machine gun.

Soviet soldiers

In this photo are captured two soviet infantrymen. I don't know why, but this photo gives me strange familiar feelings, as if I knew that place before.

Fallschirmjager

At a first glance this photo seems normal. Just a picture of a German paratrooper. But if you look in detail, you can see that close to his right shoulder you can make out a humanoid shadow figure. I thought at first that it was only me, but many people confirmed that they see it too.

Soviet soldiers in budapest 45

Soviet soldiers in Budapest 1945. I love how the PPS-43 submachine guns are captured in this photo.

And this is all for the second part.

Reactions: whatevs, WrongPlaceWrongTime, little helpers and 1 other person
D&D

D&D

Write something, even if it’s just a suicide note.
Dec 3, 2021

• Love
Reactions: callme
TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
The more I learn about history, the more I get my blood boiling.

There was a passage in my country's history that I didn't know much of, I would hear about it sometimes on TV but nothing more. It's never talked about in history class. The most common words I would hear linked to this event were "mineriad" , "Ion Iliescu" , "protests" , "students" , "violence" , "miners" ...

So I was wondering to myself, what the hell were these mineriads? (Or whatever is the plural of this word).

I searched about it today. There isn't much information about it which is kinda funny because it was an event that had a huge impact on how Romania developed after and you can see its consequences even today. It was also a very bloody event and the first one happened months after the revolution.

So I gathered from the views of people who went through it.

Ion Iliescu and his party called FSN came into power after revolution, but there were many doubts regarding the legitimacy of the new government and president. Ion Iliescu is known to had ties with communism , even since an early age because his father had communist views. He also had studied in Moscow and it's said that he met Gorbachev. He also had been in the Communist Party here.

These doubts only grew stronger and after the May elections in 1990 a series of protests have been started by people, many of them students, in the University Square in Bucharest in order to defend the authentic democracy and to criticize Iliescu administration.

Iliescu who was obviously not happy about this, came up with a brutal idea. He called the miners from Jiu Valley to come in Bucharest to put a stop to the protests so that there is no opposition. He called the protesters fascists and a threat to the country.

And so they did it and what followed was tragic. Not only they beat the protesters until they died or remained in a coma, but they also had the audacity to beat even those who had nothing to do with it. They were beating even people who minded their own business. They were beating anyone they put their eyes on. It was absolutely terrifying to walk on the streets of Bucharest back then. There are people who recall seeing others being beat up brutally by those miners and them not being able to forget it.

What's even worse is that this wasn't the only mineriad. There were other 6 of them, which stretched throughout the 90s.

After this I have come to the conclusion that Iliescu was the most evil person at the end of 20th century in Romania. He was accused of crimes against humanity after the mineriads.

However, the law system here doesn't do shit regarding the mineriads. It's all a vague shitshow. The case is closed, opened, then closed again, then opened and so on. They just play ping pong with it at this point.

Those who had their lives destroyed or were killed as a consequence of the actions of a sadist communist will probably never see justice. And Iliescu? He's a fossil at this point, he's over 90 years old and probably spending life in luxury and warmth, defended by the criminal authorities that keep on his corrupt communist legacy. Fuck the law system, fuck everything.

And so this is the history of the mineriads, presented briefly so that people get an idea of what happened. I'll try to find an English source that could present it in detail.

In about a week a new post with WW2 photos will follow. Also can't wait to tell about the day of 24th January 1859 and my favorite Romanian historical figure: Alexandru Ioan Cuza.

Reactions: carmechanicer_keke and little helpers
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Funny how most of human history is just people killing each other, mixed in with some technological advances.

Reactions: carmechanicer_keke, callme, justsayin and 1 other person
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
Funny how most of human history is just people killing each other, mixed in with some technological advances.
And then using those technological advances to genocide the living shit out of each other.

Reactions: callme, WrongPlaceWrongTime and little helpers
little helpers

little helpers

did I tie the tourniquet on my arm or on my neck?
Dec 14, 2021
C2C5953F D91F 409A 8E96 580C7EAAA120

I'm feeling sentimental today. an old screenshot. humanity wins sometimes. silver lining in the cloud.

TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
Part 3 of the WW2 photos series.

The photos are for educational purposes only.

Tiger I, it's one of the most famous tanks of the war.

Tiger I

German paratroopers sleeping

German soldiers are sleeping

A British and an American soldier share tea in a dugout in Anzio, Italy, 1944.

A British and an American soldier share tea in a dugout in Anzio Italy 44

German soldier with a captured Soviet PPS-43 submachine gun.

Germans ever use the PPS 43

Soviet soldier with a captured Maschinenpistole 40 submachine gun.

Soviet soldier with a captured MP40

German soldiers in what I think is a R75 with sidecar. France 1940.

A german soldier picking flowers.

Picking flowers

A soviet soldier comforts his mother

Soviet soldier comforts his mother

Reactions: whatevs and WrongPlaceWrongTime
WrongPlaceWrongTime

WrongPlaceWrongTime

Better never to have been
Jul 4, 2021
Chinese Nationalist troops with Stahlhelm

Reactions: whatevs
WrongPlaceWrongTime

WrongPlaceWrongTime

Better never to have been
Jul 4, 2021
What does Chinese nationalist mean? PR China or Taiwan?
The government that retreated to Taiwan
Oh, the kraut helmet. I am surprised it was used as late as 1996. It's still in use by firefighters in Germany.
Chile still uses it for military parades iirc

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: callme