C

cinnaroll

Jul 25, 2024
I've occasionally considered planning a hike in the back country but not preparing enough water or supplies.
The idea would be to veer off in an unexpected direction, and reach a point of no return, and then, continue well beyond that point.
It is probably not the most painless method (dehydration, or exposure), but at least there might be scenery, and knowing my body will not inconvenience others too much (except the S&R team).
I have several ideas based on the geography of where I live.
For some reason, the method of disappearing appeals to me more than a chemical solution. I'm curious if there is any advice on this forum for the practicality or ethics of this method.

Reactions: Rori, Ashu, Forever Sleep and 2 others
dune_dweller

dune_dweller

Puella Aeternus
Sep 6, 2024
Honestly, I'd take a chemical with me to die quickly, as I wouldn't want to sit around in pain and discomfort for possible days, waiting to get torn apart by animals or something.

At least if you pack a substance, you can still do everything else - go off away from society, see the scenery, and ensure a far less painful/terrifying death.

Reactions: bitofftoomuch, Nikitatos, nihilistic_dragon and 3 others
nir

nir

26/F/Canada
Aug 18, 2024
I almost died from dehydration once (not on purpose). I cannot describe the pain. Please do not do this.

Reactions: bitofftoomuch, infinitelove, MrHastatti and 6 others
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
Those would be the longest and most painful days of your life. Depending on the conditions you're hiking in you could last several days as you slowly deteriorate both mentally and physically. God forbid you somehow get found you could be in a very, very bad state and survive with lost limbs and such. To each their own but god that sounds awful.

Reactions: bitofftoomuch, libitina, nihilistic_dragon and 4 others
sweetcreep

sweetcreep

Jul 21, 2024
my advice is that it's not very practical. you could survive for weeks. survival instincts will keep you going and the longer you survive out there, the better chance there is of being found. i understand the appeal but i don't think it will work unless you bring along another method to take/do while out there. i wish i could help you out more.

Reactions: bitofftoomuch, Rori, nihilistic_dragon and 2 others
eeah

eeah

waste
Sep 11, 2024
knowing my body will not inconvenience others too much (except the S&R team)
thats a pretty big inconvenience. given they know u went out in the woods. those can involve tons of ppl and dogs and helicopters right?

Reactions: dune_dweller
hellworldprincess

hellworldprincess

death come kind. lay no curse on me.
Jun 29, 2024
No More Tears tried a similar thing. Here's the post:

This is my time line from beginning to end, when I was "saved". Times may be off because as my condition worsened, my timing became a mess. I do know(I think) that the situation ended somewhere near the end of April.

Please note that not everyone will have the same outcome, nor will all results be the same. Your age, health condition, and weight will make factors different for everyone. It also takes a lot of willpower to not eat, and I couldn't tell you how many times I almost lost.

Voluntary Stop Eating and Drinking(VSED) means exactly that. Except in my case, I just chose not to eat, as I have read about how painful it can be without liquid, so I went with the liquid only routine. Although drinking just water can make you survive longer, no food intake can have consequences. By just liquid, it can take upwards of 2 to 3 months ( again, it depends on age, overall health, and your weight), but for some people, it could be less, could be more. I was also hiking day after day, up and down hills, so I'm sure that didn't help with all the calories I was burning up. During this entire attempt, I was in the woods.

I will skip the days as to keep this read shorter.

Week one(beginning of March): Started the no eating attempt, and started hiking on a trail(a very long trail). Stomach mad and growling because it wants food, water helped the pain subside.

Week two: Still moving along fairly well on the trail, but hunger pains are starting to hit the stomach.

Week three: The pains intensified causing cramping and severe pain, but by end of week, the pains have reduced to a dull pain. Came to a road crossing, stopped at a store and got cigarettes and a bottle. Continued hiking for about 6 miles and stopped, as this is where I planned to let VSED do it's thing.

Week four: If the pain was still there, it no longer bothered me. Was also losing weight as I had to keep pulling pants up. Several times through the next few weeks, other hikers would come by, and when they cooked their food, the smell had me feeling nauseated.

Week five: Really starting to feel the effects. Head hurting, I was pale(according to some hikers, but I passed it off that I wasn't feeling good). Was also starting to see things that weren't there. I was miserable as hell, didn't want to move. Just wanted to lay in sleeping bag and sleep all day. By the end of that week, I was starting to lose focus, and was losing the difference between fiction and reality.

Week six: I was in bad shape. I was having out loud conversations with someone who wasn't there(nobody was there). Everything around me felt like a dream. Everything around me wasn't real, to me I was just imagining everything I saw. Even though I was in this state, I still understood what I was there for, and planned to keep it.

I'm completely lost from here on out(at least for 2 weeks). I don't know days, or times. It's all blank, and I'm sure all the whiskey I had been drinking, didn't help. Week seven(or whereabouts) is when this came to an end.

Week seven: I was no longer me. I say this is because you know how when a kid pretends he's a plane, he spreads his arms and pretends he's flying? I don't know if I really did that, or if I was dreaming, but for some reason, I'm convinced I actually did it.

At some point during this week, I got out of my sleeping bag, hiked back to that grocery store. The next thing I know, I open my eyes, I was laying in a hospital bed. I remember none of this, the getting up, the hiking, being at a store, or coming to the hospital.

I had IVs in my arms, wires on my chest, and a hose up my nose. A nurse came in a short time later and says she will let doctor know I'm awake.

When the doctor gets in there, he says he doesn't even understand why I'm still alive, and he didn't expect me to pull through. I had been in the hospital for a week and a half, and they kept me under anesthesia to give my body time to heal.

I was told that while I was at the store, I dropped to the floor and was not breathing. Someone did CPR on me and I started breathing again on my own, then was transported to the hospital.

My insides, liver, kidneys, stomach, and intestines were on the verge of destruction. He said had it not been for the person giving me CPR, I would have been gone, then said I should be gone, and he doesn't know how I pulled out of it. He says for me not to expect my body to fully recover. He also asked about my eating habits, I lied and said that I had eaten, but I was sick for a few days and was throwing up what I ate. I don't know if he believed it considering how messed up I was.

I spent two more weeks in the hospital, with several weeks in a rehab(nursing home basically). I'm not 100 percent better, but for now health wise, I'm ok.

I look back on that trip, and it feels like it never happened, like it was a bad dream.

Would I attempt this route again? You're damn right I would. The reason being is because once I got into that trance to where I couldn't tell the difference between fiction and reality, I felt like I was trapped between two worlds, and in that spot between the two, I was at peace.

In my opinion, had I stayed on that trail, I would have successfully succeeded.

• Informative
Reactions: ladylazarus4 and nihilistic_dragon
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think it's massively stressful for families when people disappear. If they never find the body, they may also start to suspect foul play and loved ones may fall under suspicion. Is it because you want it to look like an accident? If you're not troubled by them knowing it was suicide, I think you could set up a delayed email to confirm that, to be sent a safe amount of time after you expect to be gone.

Reactions: Ashu
Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
For some reason, the method of disappearing appeals to me more than a chemical solution. I'm curious if there is any advice on this forum for the practicality or ethics of this method.
That's what happens to Lila at the end of Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan Quartet of novels: she just disappears, and no one ever learns what happened to her. She had been brooding for a long time on the idea of "cancelling herself", _cancellarsi_. I recently finished rereading the Quartet, and the idea has been haunting me again.

K

Kali_Yuga13

Experienced
Jul 11, 2024
For the outdoors disappearing act, environmental extremes will greatly hasten the process. Either triple digit temperatures or low enough to induce hypothermia. Personally I'd bring a big bottle of booze.

Reactions: porororo and _AllCatsAreGrey_
porororo

porororo

Sep 18, 2024
For the outdoors disappearing act, environmental extremes will greatly hasten the process. Either triple digit temperatures or low enough to induce hypothermia. Personally I'd bring a big bottle of booze.
yeah I've thought about getting drunk and then going out into the cold probably in a European country with snow to speed up the process

Reactions: Kali_Yuga13
K

Kali_Yuga13

Experienced
Jul 11, 2024
yeah I've thought about getting drunk and then going out into the cold probably in a European country with snow to speed up the process
From what I've read about this method, the key is doing it in a sweet spot of temperature low enough to induce hypothermia but not so low as to cause frostbite. Around 8 C or 46 F.

• Wow
Reactions: porororo
Rori

Rori

Hiyah.
Dec 30, 2018
Dehydration was hell, I don't wish it on anyone, I'd bring something along that's quicker because starvation and dehydration is horrid.

qualityOV3Rquantity

qualityOV3Rquantity

Student
Jul 27, 2024
I understand why this idea appeals to you, but the reality is that death through starvation and dehydration is not pleasant at all. There is a romanticized image of just 'fading away' in nature like some Buddhist monk, but it isn't actually like that; starving and being dehydrated is incredibly painful.

A

athiestjoe

Sep 24, 2024
Seems way too drawn out and like a lot of suffering for me personally to consider as viable. Everyone is different but I plan to find the most peaceful and swift method as possible. I wish you serenity & peace with whatever you decide.