Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
I've wrote this note a couple days ago and have been occasionally adding to and editing it. I plan on teaching myself a calligraphers script and writing this note with a decent fountain pen in archival ink on archival paper and I'm going to put the note in a waterproof box with some desiccant gels for humidity and archival tissue paper to keep ink from running. I'm also going to censor some of the sections that can help trace my identity back to this site. If I said anything in this letter that isn't allowed to be posted here, I apologize but this is how I feel. I haven't written anything this lengthy in a long time so bear with me please.

June18th, 2024

Let it be known that this was not an impulsive act and that I have done this in a fully sober mind. This day has been planned for well over 10 years and shouldn't shock anyone too deeply at this point. Ever since I was a kid, I never had any actual ambitions. Every time someone asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up, I could never come up with any actual answer. I believed, then and now, that this death was the only thing that was ever going to happen for me. You can call it a self-fulfilling prophecy if that makes you feel any better but understand that there wasn't anything that any of you could have done. Truthfully, my closest thing to an ambition has always been to live alone in a nice (but not ostentatious) home on a couple hundred acres somewhere where the weather is fair and mild. All I've ever wanted to do is withdraw from the horrors of this world and of this society and be alone. I can recognize that such a goal is totally unachievable as it requires a level of wealth that I simply couldn't ever hope to attain. Time after time has shown me that I can't function long term in any type of employment and the options that are available to me can only be described as sub-par at best. I now know such options will never afford me the lifestyle that I wish to have. Would you like to know the worst part of it all? Even if I somehow achieved these goals, I KNOW I STILL WOULD NOT BE HAPPY. Part of the problem is that I never asked to be born in the first place.

Our venomous nation of snakes has always placed great emphasis on death but did anyone ever stop to think about the time before we were born? Why should consciousness after death be any different than it was before birth? I've never quite grasped religion and don't find any comforts in its unfalsifiable teachings either. This decision to █████████████ has came after an entire lifetime of despair and my suffering should be over now. I could be wrong but I believe this risk to be the most potentially rewarding risk I've ever taken.

Those whose lives that have touched mine haven't done anything wrong... for the most part. Sure, some of you took some missteps along the way but so have I. If I take responsibility for anything, it will be my own fate. This was always going to be my fate. Don't fool yourselves into thinking that you could have done anything to help because I wouldn't have wanted your help anyways. Forcing me to do anything wouldn't have solved my problems either. Mental healthcare in the state of ████ has somehow missed that I am almost definitely schizoid with schizotypal tendencies. At times I have heard faint whispering when I knew I was alone and there have been two times in my life where I had terrifying full-blown visual hallucinations. One of those times I was driving home from work and almost crashed. These disorders, on top of treatment-resistant depression, have no magic cure that can be lectured away or solved with psychotherapy. I never found out what exactly was wrong with me despite everyone's best efforts. The best life I could have reasonably hoped for would have been to get the government's insultingly low crazy-check pittance while living in a section 8 hellhole and even then,the end result would have stayed the same. Section 8 or not, I would have been unhappy anywhere I went. Ironically, they don't make benefits easily attainable and make you work for it especially if you're an unmarried man in your 20's. I found it easier to just give up.

Some of you fools have made materialistic hedonism as your only reason to live. Some of you fools insincerely cope with religion. Some of fools you make the insane decision to bring children into this world.(Accidental births are different.) Unfortunately, none of these so-called raisons d'être have ever been able to convince me otherwise. Until now, I've continued to live purely out of lizard-brained survival instinct and coped with this using escapism. I can remember that as a █ year old child (even before my mother's death), I was unhappy in life. None of you were in my head (unless you could secretly read my mind) so don't bother trying to contradict me. I've spent my whole life trying to ignore the future and the future finally caught up with me.

I once said to someone years ago, "I could have hundreds of millions of dollars and all the megayachts and fast cars a man could ever want but I'd still not be happy." As I write this, I still stand by this statement because I know I never wanted those things. I never truly wanted anything but to be alone. I understand that being alone can mean many things to different people so allow me to clarify. To me, being alone means freedom from society's obligations and soul-crushing responsibilities without worrying about being physically, financially, or psychologically harmed by anyone. (Paranoia?) In death, I believe I can be free of these burdens.

Call it a false dichotomy if you like (I don't care and it doesn't matter at this point) but my two options in life were #1: Scrape out a shallow, joyless, and meaningless existence while waiting to die as painlessly as possible while knowing my death could be something far worse than suicide by firearm OR#2: Die a near-instantaneous death by destroying the brainstem so that all connection between the brain and body is totally severed and unable to feel physical pain. Brain tissue itself has no pain sensory nerves which is one reason why brain surgery is often performed while the patient is conscious. This is my reasoning for the method I used and why I pointed it where I did. Even if you took away my guns, I would have had plenty of other options to fall back on.

A few years ago when I was ██ [YEARS OLD], I had a Glock 22chambered in .40 Smith & Wesson. I was speeding along quiet country roads at 90+ mph and picked up the gun from under the seat and examined it for a moment. Had I had a round already chambered I wouldn't have hesitated but since I had to load it, I thought to myself, "Let's see how much worse things could get first." And man, did things just steadily get worse. Since then, all I've done with my life is get hired/fired/quitting from awful low-tier jobs that were neither gainful nor meaningful. Besides that, I was a chronically unemployed loser with no motivation and was unable (and unwilling) to sustain functioning personal relationships. At one point in the last 4 years I was over 275 pounds due to drinking myself to sleep nearly every day for 2 years. ███████,if you ever read this, don't blame ██████████████ as I know you are want to do. When I came back to live with you,██████, for a couple months when I returned from███████████, I was drinking myself to sleep and hiding it from you. If not alcohol, it would have been something else. I had since cut down on my drinking by 90% these last three years and totally quit nicotine almost a year ago but life was still unbearable. As I write this I am 180 pounds and lost most of the weight because I simply couldn't afford to eat 4000 calories a day anymore. I know I am not the only one suffering in such a way but acknowledging that does nothing to console me.

Perhaps the most potent insult that has been repeatedly hurled at me over the years has been this singular word: Lazy. I've heard it all my life and it has always secretly enraged me whether or not I chose to show it. I'm not sure how to word it properly but it's nearly impossible to force yourself to do anything when you have zero motivation to do so. I never wanted much from anyone else but I could rarely escape what was demanded of me. Another serious problem I failed to endure is that our little slice of America scorns all who seem strange or unconventional and few people are willing to give such strangers a chance to prove themselves. This, among an extensive list of other reasons, is partially why I struggled to remain employed. This entire country is going to hell and I don't care to stick around long enough to see when it finally collapses. The only bad part of missing the collapse is getting to witness [probably can't say this here] who have undeniably conspired against us to maintain this torturous status quo.

It is unlikely that my body will be found within 24 hours but I'd prefer you sell my body to science if it is still usable. I intentionally don't want the body to be found for at least several days to give you time to prepare for the news. The reasoning is that it wouldn't be very surprising to find that I died this way if I mysteriously disappeared for a few days. If no organizations are willing to buy my body, then donate the organs if they are still viable. Otherwise,cremate the body as inexpensively as possible. I want you to bury half of the ashes in a tree pod under a live oak and I also want you to spread a handful of ashes near the location of where my body was found. It is a place where I briefly enjoyed life and felt something other than despair. Whatever you do, DO NOT waste any money on a casket. Sell my car if cremation is a financial burden or give the car back to █████████. I never actually paid their family all of what I owed. Though, I'm not entirely sure where to find them anymore. Under no circumstances are you to spend more than $1000 on my memorial service if possible. As for the rest of my possessions, just leave them with whoever already has them. I don't have a lot of things anyways so arguing over it would be ridiculous. Alternatively, you can choose to ignore this letter and do whatever you want with my ashes and possessions. I won't care either way.

To all those reading this who never knew me and had the resources to help fix this world (but refused to), I hope you all suffer in nuclear fire so you can have a taste of what this life was like. I like to think I wouldn't have hoarded wealth like you have. To my family and friends, hopefully this (largely performative) letter will be able to answer some of your questions. If you've made it this far into this wall of text and still find yourself asking, "Why did he do it?" The answer is simple: I could never bring myself to care that deeply for anyone and never wanted anything out of life. I am finally free.

• Hugs
Reactions: Zhendou, random_user and Praestat_Mori
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
After a quick read, I'd suggest running it through Grammarly or another grammar checker, there're some incorrect tenses and misspellings

Reactions: Zhendou
Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
After a quick read, I'd suggest running it through Grammarly or another grammar checker, there're some incorrect tenses and misspellings
Yeah I know the tenses are all over the place (sometimes on purpose) and I'll get around to fixing that eventually. I think Grammarly might flag me if I copy-paste something like this though. Is my reasoning convincing though? I posted this here mostly for the sake of constructive argument rather than grammar.

Reactions: L0neW0lf
real human being

real human being

full of broken thoughts
Jan 28, 2022
If I had to critique, I would say it's a bit meandering or melodramatic in some parts which might take away from it, but ultimately I think it's well written and I kind of enjoyed reading it. I think you've done a good job of expressing yourself. Oh and run it through something like Grammarly like the person above said. I noticed one or two minor errors.

I relate to your experience in this world quite a bit, though we aren't the same. I suffer greatly from having very little motivation and energy to do even basic things, I rarely enjoy things, basically don't have any dreams or passions or interests, and I've struggled with a feeling of emptiness my entire life. I don't know if I will ever be happy or even just 'okay'.

I think you are very perceptive in regards to the state of the world. I've come to the exact same conclusions.

D

dolemitedrums

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2024
Paragraph 1...

"You can call it a self-fulfilling prophecy if that makes you feel any better" ... I would lose or reword if that makes you feel any better, go with something like if you wish or if that is how you see it. The original wording sounds a bit spiteful.

Paragraph 2...

This starts to sound a bit like crazy talk or at least melodrama. "Our venomous nation of snakes" - this isn't goodbye to your loved ones, this is manifesto type stuff. I don't know if this paragraph is really necessary at all, the exception being if you were raised in a very religious family with threats of hell etc. and this is your response to that.

Paragraph 3...

Generally speaking the way you use the word "you" to the reader a couple times sounds kind of accusatory. I think you can say the same things with less edge on the delivery. I'll try to come back with specifics later. It's good after the first few sentences when you get into what you have gone through mentally and so on..

Paragraph 4...

"Some of you fools" etc. Even your family will start to tune you out here. They don't know if you are calling them fools specifically or the world, but the letter is addressed to the reader so...must be them I suppose. It is also getting back into manifesto territory.

Paragraph 5...

Don't see any problems. Just sounds like your honest perspective.

Paragraph 6...

Delivery of the first sentence to the reader is a bit condescending or accusatory again. After that it is okay but again...your family won't want to read the specifics about destroying your brain stem and so on. I think more vague descriptions of methodology and biological consequences are appropriate for the people who love you, if you are to have any at all.

Paragraph 7...

No real issues if you want to include all of this information. I believe the expression is "wont to do." It's a weird example in English. Otherwise just go with a more straightforward expression like "as you may feel compelled to do" etc.

Paragraph 8...

You went full manifesto again. You want to see America collapse, etc. You will be losing your audience and coming off as spiteful and maybe a bit crazy. The only part that doesn't do that is when you describe your reaction to being called lazy, which is fine, but at the same time most people do burn the candle at both ends to go to work etc. and I think the only reason you give for not doing so is a lack of motivation. It will be hard for most people to relate to this or sympathize. And it is melodramatic again when you called it a potent insult hurled at you. Not sure if the paragraph adds value in terms of how you will be remembered going out.

Paragraph 9...

It's a little impersonal and abrasive for telling your family members what to do with your dead body. A few things come off as commands. "I want you to..." I think a polite request is more appropriate here. The same with "under no circumstances are you to..." etc. It's all out of your hands now, so you may as well ask nicely. Not just for your sake but for theirs too. As for the final part, "Alternatively, you can choose to ignore this letter and do whatever you want with my ashes and possessions. I won't care either way." It also seems a bit needlessly abrasive or dismissive. The wishes you do express for your remains are fine and nothing wrong with them. If you really want them to know and understand why you are trying to be found a few days after death and that it's for their sake, maybe an additional sentence like how you tried to put yourself in their shoes and think about what would be the least harmful way to receive the news and this was the best you could come up with and that you hope you were right. If you really do want to do the least harm and offer the most comfort with this document.

Paragraph 10...

This partly sounds like crazy talk and its spitefulness takes away from any caring you expressed earlier, especially as the closing note of your letter. Expressing a desire to watch the world burn or anything like it will not make anyone think more highly of you after you are gone. Maybe you don't care about that but if you do, you have my advice. This also might not be the ideal sentence: "I could never bring myself to care that deeply for anyone..." Well, this will obviously include the reader and your remaining family.

All right brother, you have my best advice and I gave the whole thing a read. You only get to say goodbye for the last time once, so I tried to do what I could to have your loved ones feel a little more comfort.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Infinite Solipsist
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Yeah I know the tenses are all over the place (sometimes on purpose) and I'll get around to fixing that eventually. I think Grammarly might flag me if I copy-paste something like this though. Is my reasoning convincing though? I posted this here mostly for the sake of constructive argument rather than grammar.
Maybe, not sure. You could probably get away with copy-pasting individual paragraphs if nothing else.

Gotcha. I'll reread it and give a content critique as best I can

Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
All right brother, you have my best advice and I gave the whole thing a read. You only get to say goodbye for the last time once, so I tried to do what I could to have your loved ones feel a little more comfort.
I agree with your assessment of paragraphs 1,2,8, and 9. I've completely removed paragraph 2 and will work on my wording of paragraph 9. I had read somewhere that most suicide letters don't really answer any questions so I was trying to tie it all together in paragraph 10 and I guess I did a poor job at it. It is true that I don't really care that much for anyone but I suppose I shouldn't say that out loud, thank you for reeling me in. This note isn't directed at anyone specific in my family and is more for anyone who finds it which is why I, as you put it, repeatedly expressed a desire to watch the world burn (because I actually want it to.) I also agree that I should make paragraph 6 a bit more vague. This largely comes from a place of anger (as well as despair) and I was trying to drive that point home. As for why I don't seek outpatient help, there's several reasons that aren't fully under my control. For one, I don't have any health insurance anymore nor can I afford to pay $150-$200 out of pocket every month. This state has atrociously bad mental healthcare rankings and there is only one income-adjusted clinic near me. I called them several weeks ago and they said that there's a two month waiting time to schedule an appointment. Even if I did go to the clinic, the most I could hope for is a diagnosis that can help me secure disability payments which still is an awful life. It's more likely they'd see the long list of medications I've already tried and will tell me to fuck off. I rarely ever show any emotion so I felt that this would be the time to express it and maybe went a bit too hard in some places. Thank you for taking the time to analyze my writing, dolemite.

Last edited:
Reactions: dolemitedrums
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Sorry if this comes off as rude, I'm not used to critiquing writing that's this personal. Anyway-

Overall, the tone is off, the direction is somewhat muddled, and the intended audience is unclear at timez.

As someone else said, it's hard to tell at certain points if this is a suicide note or a manifesto. Lines like "The only bad part of missing the collapse is getting to witness (???) who have undeniably conspired against us to maintain this torturous status quo", "To all those reading this who never knew me and had the resources to help fix this world (but refused to), I hope you all suffer in nuclear fire so you can have a taste of what this life was like", and that bit about how people are fools and so forth feed into that and are a bit concerning.

I understand wanting to express your anger- it's your note, your final words to the world, your last chance to express yourself- but I'd suggest you focus on why you're writing this letter and who you're writing it to.

I personally plan on texting a short one to my brother with instructions to find the extended note and personal letters I wrote all my family members and my burial instructions on my phone. The purpose of the personalized notes is to tie up loose ends and tell everyone I love them. Most of my anger is put inside my diaries instead because as frustrated as I am with certain things I don't want my incoherent rambles to be the first thing my brother reads.

In your case, maybe just try to narrow the focus of it and remove excessively dramatic language.

As for positive criticism- you explained your reasons why effectively and you seem to have what I'd consider essentials. I think you just need to clip and edit a bit.

Good luck with your note, I wish you well whereever you end up.

Reactions: Infinite Solipsist
Infinite Solipsist

Infinite Solipsist

Jun 20, 2024
I relate to your experience in this world quite a bit, though we aren't the same. I suffer greatly from having very little motivation and energy to do even basic things, I rarely enjoy things, basically don't have any dreams or passions or interests, and I've struggled with a feeling of emptiness my entire life. I don't know if I will ever be happy or even just 'okay'.
It's not that I don't have any energy, it's more that there is no reward for expending it. I do enjoy some small things here and there (music, film, and other forms of art) but none of those things are worth living for. If frontal lobe lobotomies were made legal again, I'd be one of the first ones to sign up for it. That way I wouldn't have to feel anything. I feel as time goes on, I will eventually slip into full-blown screaming-voices schizophrenia. I'm not quite old enough to rule out the possibility of onset just yet.

D

dolemitedrums

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2024
I agree with your assessment of paragraphs 1,2,8, and 9. I've completely removed paragraph 2 and will work on my wording of paragraph 9. I had read somewhere that most suicide letters don't really answer any questions so I was trying to tie it all together in paragraph 10 and I guess I did a poor job at it. It is true that I don't really care that much for anyone but I suppose I shouldn't say that out loud, thank you for reeling me in. This note isn't directed at anyone specific in my family and is more for anyone who finds it which is why I, as you put it, repeatedly expressed a desire to watch the world burn (because I actually want it to.) I also agree that I should make paragraph 6 a bit more vague. This largely comes from a place of anger (as well as despair) and I was trying to drive that point home. As for why I don't seek outpatient help, there's several reasons that aren't fully under my control. For one, I don't have any health insurance anymore nor can I afford to pay $150-$200 out of pocket every month. This state has atrociously bad mental healthcare rankings and there is only one income-adjusted clinic near me. I called them several weeks ago and they said that there's a two month waiting time to schedule an appointment. Even if I did go to the clinic, the most I could hope for is a diagnosis that can help me secure disability payments which still is an awful life. It's more likely they'd see the long list of medications I've already tried and will tell me to fuck off. I rarely ever show any emotion so I felt that this would be the time to express it and maybe went a bit too hard in some places. Thank you for taking the time to analyze my writing, dolemite.

Glad I could help and glad you took the feedback the right way.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties in getting proper medical care and the other problems. I hope things improve in some areas. Anyway I can relate to a fair bit of your frustration.