banger12

banger12

Aug 1, 2024
I posted a similar question the other day but I tagged it incorrectly and wasn't clear but I still need help. I'm likely going to go with a .357 magnum revolver but I was wondering if barrel length matters? I'm low on money rn and I need to know how much to save. There are some cheaper short barrel revolvers available but idk if that's ideal.

Idk much about buying firearms so maybe there's some other quality stuff that idk whether to look out for too. What about price range?

Also I can't do a shotgun cuz obviously I'd rather people not realize and prevent me from CTB. But I know the value of a shotgun is it gives the user a large margin of error. What would the margin of error by for a .357 magnum revolver? On terms of aim, how much of a difference does distance between barrel being held to target make?

Not trying to spam, nobody had responded prior. Last time I'll ask this. I think I made a mistake in last post. I'm sorry.

• Hugs
Reactions: CatLvr
C

CatLvr

Experienced
Aug 1, 2024
Uhmmmm, I have to admit I'm a little conflicted here. Without giving away too much personal information on the forum, I will say I have had the opportunity to read a few autopsy reports here and there during my working career and could probably give you at least some things to consider (sorry I didn't see your first thread about this).

Problem is, though we don't know shit about each other, I read your intro post/thread and dammit, I like you. I dunno how I feel about helping you ctb, ya know?? It's one thing to sympathize and understand why someone would want to ctb (and God knows I both sympathize and understand) and quite another to possibly be responsible for sharing information that might encourage you to take that leap. šŸ¤·

All that said, I am very much pro-choice so I will tell you this -- from what little I have seen (and I am by no means an expert in this field) using a handgun is a VERY iffy proposition when it comes to ctb. It only takes the slightest flinch (which, if you are not familiar with the trigger, the weight of it's pull and where it breaks, and the load of ammo a flinch is nigh on impossible to avoid) to go from "welcome to your seat on the bus" to "you no longer have a face, but are very much alive".

In fact, you will also most likely be blind, at least in one eye -- if you are lucky -- and have significant hearing loss. You will be an invalid, and if you have no one to look after you, WILL wind up in a convalescence center for the rest of your life. Of course, if your family life was/is anything like mine, you would probably be better off with strangers taking care of you in a home.

I'm sorry to tell you that in the end, a firearm, and especially a handgun, is not one of the more reliable ways to ctb.

Are you adverse to using another, less iffy way?? Maybe some more research into other ways is on order?? I don't know, because I am not sure how much research you have done. I'm just asking because I do think there are better (read: more reliable, less painful) ways to accomplish ctb.

I know this probably wasn't the answer you were looking for, but I do hope it helps you make up your mind how to proceed. Mostly, though, I hope you find something that eased your pain while you consider your options.

And finally, don't ever think you are a burden to anyone here. Nothing could be further from the truth. **Hugs**

Reactions: banger12
Upvote 0
banger12

banger12

Aug 1, 2024
Uhmmmm, I have to admit I'm a little conflicted here. Without giving away too much personal information on the forum, I will say I have had the opportunity to read a few autopsy reports here and there during my working career and could probably give you at least some things to consider (sorry I didn't see your first thread about this).

Problem is, though we don't know shit about each other, I read your intro post/thread and dammit, I like you. I dunno how I feel about helping you ctb, ya know?? It's one thing to sympathize and understand why someone would want to ctb (and God knows I both sympathize and understand) and quite another to possibly be responsible for sharing information that might encourage you to take that leap. šŸ¤·

All that said, I am very much pro-choice so I will tell you this -- from what little I have seen (and I am by no means an expert in this field) using a handgun is a VERY iffy proposition when it comes to ctb. It only takes the slightest flinch (which, if you are not familiar with the trigger, the weight of it's pull and where it breaks, and the load of ammo a flinch is nigh on impossible to avoid) to go from "welcome to your seat on the bus" to "you no longer have a face, but are very much alive".

In fact, you will also most likely be blind, at least in one eye -- if you are lucky -- and have significant hearing loss. You will be an invalid, and if you have no one to look after you, WILL wind up in a convalescence center for the rest of your life. Of course, if your family life was/is anything like mine, you would probably be better off with strangers taking care of you in a home.

I'm sorry to tell you that in the end, a firearm, and especially a handgun, is not one of the more reliable ways to ctb.

Are you adverse to using another, less iffy way?? Maybe some more research into other ways is on order?? I don't know, because I am not sure how much research you have done. I'm just asking because I do think there are better (read: more reliable, less painful) ways to accomplish ctb.

I know this probably wasn't the answer you were looking for, but I do hope it helps you make up your mind how to proceed. Mostly, though, I hope you find something that eased your pain while you consider your options.

And finally, don't ever think you are a burden to anyone here. Nothing could be further from the truth. **Hugs**
Thank you, I appreciate any answer I can get on this tbh. I had read the megathread and I've researched this before, so I was under the impression that a firearm was actually a quicker and more efficient means of getting the job done. At the same time the points you raise about the use of a handgun specifically are probably true, and given that I'm inexperienced with firearms maybe I should avoid because if I do it wrong the complications you mention are a serious possibility. So I'm open to exploring other options.

Thank you for your kind words as well. Idk if I deserve them but I appreciate it. My home/family life isn't terrible and when I CTB (likely will) I'll do it away from home to make it less traumatic on dad and stepmom because I love them, even though lately we don't get along great or see eye to eye.

My mind is mostly made up at this point. I fully desire to CTB in time. It's all a matter of resources, opportunity and fighting SI at this point. But given I'm severely lacking in resources presently (eg money) I might have some months left unfortunately.

• Love
Reactions: CatLvr
Upvote 0