Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
Thought I'd pass on a recent experience of mine, over the weekend. My care team arranged for me to be assessed under the mental health act, as they were getting increasingly concerned about my suicidal thoughts. They knew I had SN in my possession.

Two psychiatrists and an AMHP arrived at my house, questioned me for about 45 mins and asked if I would hand over the SN (er no!). They then all agreed I did not meet the criteria to be sectioned and left. One of the deciding factors was I'd had the SN for a number of months and hadn't used it already.

I appreciate how lucky I've been, but having SN in your possession does not automatically result in being sectioned.

• Hugs
Reactions: TessB, LittleBabyNothing, HopelessFight and 1 other person
H

HopelessFight

Warlock
Jan 31, 2021
There are laws that has be be followed for unvoluntary commitment. These laws differ from country to country, but one thing most have in common is that you must be a danger to yourself or others. A psychiatrist abused this law by lying about this in my case years ago just to get me sectioned, that's why I generally don't trust psychiaters. I wouldn't tell doctors about having SN at home, honestly.

At least your doctors were honest. Beside, they can section you and seize the SN, but they know well enough you can just create a new order once you're out. Good that your doctors were reasonable people, but why did you tell them in the first place?

Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
I first told them about 6 months ago - I'm split between recovery and wanting to end it all. My thought process can change on a weekly basis and I'm trying to give myself a fair chance of getting better. But not enough to hand over my SN! - it's like I have a comfort blanket knowing I have the means to end things fairly peacefull.

I suppose I've been fortunate that my care team trusted me up to this point.

Reactions: Smart No More and TessB
H

HopelessFight

Warlock
Jan 31, 2021
Fair enough, UK law sounds so much better compared to Belgium based on your experiemce. In my case, I've only seen one doctor for less than 2 minutes. He only asked me one question, then he left, putting on paper I should be sectioned. I've requested a second opinion, which was denied as not possible by law.

At least you got assessed by a team of doctors who actually seemed to have talked to you and sound like reasonable people. Involuntary commitment was cruel and a traumatic experience in my case. It made things much worse.

Reactions: Tesha
ClairyFairy

ClairyFairy

Wizard
Jan 22, 2021
In the uk they will let you go if they're happy that your ideation isn't a plan. I gave the police my sn, so regret it now. It's crazy. I felt better having it but knew I'd never drink it. I'd rather hang but it was like a soft cushion for me

Reactions: Tesha