Apostle

Apostle

Student
Apr 17, 2019
In your opinion, is it better or worse to intentionally give yourself some possible way to back out, when attempting a ctb?

I'm a huge coward with no resistance to pain. I'm mainly looking at full suspension for a method. It's infamous as a scary and excruciating way to go, especially if you do it wrong (which I probably would), but it seems like the best way to trap myself, forcing myself to take the pain and potentially making it very difficult or impossible to escape if there's nothing to easily grab onto or cut. That's what's attractive about it to me. I just don't believe I have the balls to fully go through with killing myself if I know there's an easy escape the whole time. I think it's necessary to trap myself, for that reason, but maybe I need to think about it more, and hear what people have to say about it. Especially since I haven't even taken a "test drive" or even figured out my hanging setup yet.

I know some people say it's important to have an exit because when you start dying, that can potentially be the moment when you start to regret or have second thoughts about your suicide and suddenly decide you want to live. And for some people that may be true, but personally I feel like my mind would only be less sober and reasonable. Like, I might feel that way when I start dying, but, I think that'd just be survival instinct and fear speaking, not to mention my blood and oxygen deprived brain. Not my actual thoughts. I think if I come to the point of sticking my neck in a noose, with real intent to die at that moment, I've already made my decision and my feelings while I'm hanging, seconds later, should probably just be ignored.

But there could be a side to this I'm not seeing and I'm curious to hear what you guys think. Thanks.

Reactions: lemon17
Youthanasia

Youthanasia

Wanderer
Apr 18, 2019
I mean depending on the method i would understand if someone, say, tried to hang with the means to get back up in case it didnt go as planned in terms of comfort but to be honest I think one can only ctb if they really want to, for the amount of time needed

Im pretty sure I wont have one, if I start it, i'll see it to the end, the second thoughts should be elaborated when you're still considering to ctb as I strongly believe a solid resolve is enough to overcome the survival instinct

Reactions: Apostle
Apostle

Apostle

Student
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah you have a point. I'd hope to figure out what's most comfortable through test runs, so that by the time it was a serious attempt, i'd just try to recreate whatever worked best. Thank you for giving your thoughts, and if it does come to a ctb for me, I hope to be as focused and confident as you.

Empty Smile

Empty Smile

The final Bell has rung. Goodbye to all.
Jul 13, 2018
I think once you start full suspension hanging, or take cyanide pills, you're pretty screwed at backing out. When you do the full, you'll start to panic and just pull the rope tighter, and your body will be jerking trying to get some air.

Cyanide, once you swallow that, your done in a matter of minutes.

I don't know about SN. That's not my plan of going, and I don't follow the threads for it, so I don't know if you can back out if that after you start.

Reactions: Broken and Apostle
clover___

clover___

Mar 24, 2019
I think once you start full suspension hanging, or take cyanide pills, you're pretty screwed at backing out. When you do the full, you'll start to panic and just pull the rope tighter, and your body will be jerking trying to get some air.

Cyanide, once you swallow that, your done in a matter of minutes.

I don't know about SN. That's not my plan of going, and I don't follow the threads for it, so I don't know if you can back out if that after you start.
There's an antidote for cyanide, sn is part it funnily enough. Having said that, you're right in that poisons aren't great methods if you want to be able to back out. Administering an antidote while in a compromised state could be quite difficult.

Reactions: Empty Smile