tpboy

tpboy

No Karma Cafe
Aug 4, 2023
Tomorrow is opening day of duck season here. I can hear boats going out now so that people can get a good spot to try and kill a duck. I know they really don't care about eating one. I know this because i used to be one of them, out there trying to get one. Now i am a vegetarian. I believe that all things have a right to live if they want to. I'm thinking that i am not the only one that has rethought their beliefs after becoming injured/sick and later suicidal.

• Hugs
Reactions: ksp, rationaltake, Larysa and 1 other person
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
Tomorrow is opening day of duck season here. I can hear boats going out now so that people can get a good spot to try and kill a duck. I know they really don't care about eating one. I know this because i used to be one of them, out there trying to get one. Now i am a vegetarian. I believe that all things have a right to live if they want to. I'm thinking that i am not the only one that has rethought their beliefs after becoming injured/sick and later suicidal.
The change for me is in regards to people. It's shocking and demoralizing how people don't care about you in life. Family, "friends", whoever. All that's changed is my views on humanity. Find it to be pretty awful most are incredibly selfish. I thought humans were generally good. I don't anymore.

Reactions: ksp and tpboy
omarofficial10

omarofficial10

Always tired
Sep 8, 2023
yeah I used to be a pretty bad person not caring, I didn't care about others tbh. After I started trying to ctb in like middle school I just became super quiet shut out and everything makes me feel bad now lel

Captive_Mind515

Captive_Mind515

King or street sweeper, dance with grim reaper!
Jul 18, 2023
Sanctity, no...

The sanctimonious nature of many people in society, yes absolutely!

Reactions: offbalance and ksp
Larysa

Larysa

Student
Apr 11, 2023
This is interesting, @tpboy. So it was becoming suicidal that made you see animal life differently and become vegetarian?

I was super concerned about animals from early in life. If anything I've become less so in a practical way. I gave up being a vegetarian, now buy just high welfare meat.

Reactions: ksp and tpboy
dead-yaga

dead-yaga

muddy moon
Oct 24, 2020
idk why i care about people. its strange cause i have no empathy really (honestly im not unconvinced that im the only conciousness in the universe and all of this is just a dream) but i care about people anyway, just cause it makes things easier and its fun to see different people happy, negative emotions get repetitive fast tbh. but like animals honestly i have a lot more respect for than i used to. they got it right, living by instinct is the way to go.

• Hugs
Reactions: ksp and rationaltake
tpboy

tpboy

No Karma Cafe
Aug 4, 2023
This is interesting, @tpboy. So it was becoming suicidal that made you see animal life differently and become vegetarian?

I was super concerned about animals from early in life. If anything I've become less so in a practical way. I gave up being a vegetarian, now buy just high welfare meat.
i see life as being very fragile now and short.

• Hugs
Reactions: ksp, rationaltake and Larysa
ksp

ksp

Arcanist
Oct 1, 2022
there is nothing sacred about life

life survives because only the strongest survive (in all animals, plans, virtues, etc)

extreme brutality and suffering is what forces all nature to make progress - and survive

how many lions feel guilty about killing an antelope ?!
when a young nomad lion takes over a pride, it will kill the cubs of a previous lion

why is that? because of sanctity of life?!
no, it's because what i call a hard-wired 'DNA procreation' - only the strongest DNA will survive

if guilt would be the primary factor, we wouldn't have any apex predators
life wouldn't make progress - the weakest would be on equal footing with the strongest

dinosaurs didn't die off because of guilt, or because they felt compassion
they survived 200 million (!!!) years because of their brutality and nothing else: just brute force

the only parameter that changes in our case is intelligence.

as a side note: i don't know if we would be stronger than dinosaurs because of our intelligence, but we did do a lot more damage to our planet, in less than a million year, because of it (knowledge is power)

but humanity has the ability to suffer on an exponential level because of our intelligence

we created the concept of morality - because we are civilized
we created the concept of religion because we have imagination
we are capable of empathy because we are self-aware

self-awareness brings on a huge baggage to existence:
- we are aware of our existence, distinct from other individuals
- we understand the concept of death, and we understand our own mortality - animals don't
- we extrapolate about our intentions and consequences - and this implies that we understand the concept of 'future'

related to suicide:
- we understand the concept of the future, in order to intend to die
(this is why all suicides are rational)

- we are aware of our own suffering and its possibility (potentiality)
- most animals suffer, but they don't ponder about it, like we do - there is no deeper level of suffering
- we are ready for self-sacrifice, and we are rational about it (as opposed to natural instinct)

intelligent and self-aware life is one of the main problems in existence - generating huge contradictions

so, after all this knowledge about life - your initial question still remains about the sanctity of life:

- is life sacred ?

personally, i think not :)

Last edited:
not_telling

not_telling

Scared
Sep 9, 2023
I think for me it was sort of backwards? In the sense that I've always thought that any living thing had the most importante and valuable thing ever, but that almost none of them, if any, realized and acted on it's value. That thought is a big part of why I don't want to live, I waste my gift, even though I'm aware it exists. And, in wanting to die, I find that my mind knows what it is headed to losing when it eventually happens. That thought is really, really scary, but also kind of comforting; a sort of validation that I am in fact human and alive, "awake".