Have you ever experienced serious physical violence?

• Yes

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Today I have read a newspaper article I don't know whether I will have the time and energy to translate it this evening. It is really interesting. But I paraphrase a passage. Due to the fact that violence is in our modern worldd way more stigmatized than in the past there are probably some benefits. Experts suspect that this is the reason for the decreasing number of violent criminal acts and suicides.

Yeah I thought I am the one who is fucked. My mom beat the shit out of me for like a decade. And now I am suicidal since 10 years and this will probably continue till I ctb. This is why I wanted to know whether there is a correlation. But I wanted to put it broader. Whether experiencing violence is a a contributing factor to end in a suicide forum. For me that is absolutely true. Also there might be evidence how much this factor is influencing this outcome (to be member of a suicide forum).
This thread is similar to my have you ever ben bullied thread. A vast majority agreed on it.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Venus13, Disappointered, Lullaby and 1 other person
G

gwanath

May 23, 2022
Hey. I'm terribly sorry you experienced such abuse at the hands of your mother. While I don't recall being physically abused, I remember being witness to it. It's terrifying. I developed CPTSD from my abusive household, as you may as well have.

While outright violence may be stigmatized in modern day society, I believe that it is often overlooked and ignored. I don't think people want to truly confront the reality of how pervasive abuse and negligence are in the world.

There is definitely a correlation between feeling suicidal and being a victim of abuse. It's a very harrowing realization that you were a victim of this behavior. But I don't think it's strictly a correlation between violence and suicide, but rather, it's not having access to safety after experiencing violence what truly drives people to suicide. Plenty of people experience terrible things, but not everyone is affected to such a degree.

So definitely a contributing factor, but not a result of experiencing violence, IMHO.

• Hugs
Reactions: FinalDestiny
Marine

Marine

*~ 絶対に 全てを取り戻させてもらう ~*
Jul 5, 2020
I mean... Duh.

• Aww..
Reactions: Suicidebydeath and FinalDestiny
O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
The powers that be have spent a lot of time downplaying certain types of violence in many different ways.

Stigmatizing such reporting is one way. If you are a male, how could you possibly be beaten, assaulted (you did fight back, didn't you) and so on?

If you are the opposite sex or lgbtq, the reporting can be even more stigmatizing.

Someone wakes up thinking of cashing out because the bullies in school and college are relentless or their parents are abusing them.

Nope, can't do that as that is classified as a coward's act.

But if you fight back, then you are viewed as too violent.

You can't tell people to not meet force with force, or only certain people are allowed to do so, and then tell those same people that cashing out to avoid said force, the (PTSD), nightmares, etc is a cowardly act.

People should be able to defend themselves against such violence, and if for some reason they can't and those experiences take a mental toll, etc., those same people should be able to deal with them through other means that they deem necessary.

With regard to the original question Yes, I have experienced serious physical violence. (weapon violence, hand-to-body violence, etc.)

I will leave off with this quote, paraphrased.

"Blake understood. Humans are savage in nature. No matter how much you try to dress it up, to disguise it."

apologies for the rambling

• Love
Reactions: Disappointered and FinalDestiny
FinalDestiny

FinalDestiny

God’s in his heaven. All’s right with the world.
May 30, 2022
Nope, can't do that as that is classified as a coward's act.

But if you fight back, then you are viewed as too violent.
Preach brother. Preach.

Lullaby

Lullaby

🌙
Mar 9, 2022
My mom used to hit me a lot as well for years. The last time was a couple of years ago. She threw my food across my room, which ruined a lot of stuff I cared about and started hitting me. My brother had to drag her off.

She still can't accept that she's physically and emotionally abusive towards everyone.

• Aww..
Reactions: outatime_85
nys

nys

mors mihi lucrum
Jun 1, 2022
My parents would be rlly physically violent to me when I was too young to fight back, and also to each other. There would be lots of hitting/kicking/strangling and throwing and breaking things. When I got older and could defend myself they stopped attacking me tho

Reactions: 𖣴 nadia 𖣴
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
I've been assaulted by a wild "gangsta" type street hominid that was marauding the streets of a dangerous city that under-reports certain violent crimes to make itself appear safer than it really is.

Since it resulted in a permanent injury it's impossible to try to forget it happened. It made clear to me that the regions that prevent one from defending themselves from criminals by banning weapons are a enabling serious threats to my safety. I no longer feel any moral ambiguity about potentially having to use violence against criminals or those animating and enabling them to protect myself.

• Hugs
Reactions: Venus13, outatime_85 and Nolan96
𖣴 nadia 𖣴

𖣴 nadia 𖣴

...member...
Dec 15, 2021
Studies have shown there's definitely a correlation between being violently abused in childhood and being suicidal later in life. And if you experienced multiple types of abuse (sexual, physical and emotional) you're 5 x more likely to attempt suicide in adulthood.

I was told that we're more likely to end up in abusive or violent relationships, because the effects of violence and attachment trauma affects your future relationships.

• Informative
Reactions: outatime_85 and Suicidebydeath
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
Too much here too...

• Hugs
Reactions: outatime_85
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
Violence and attachment trauma. But...then, why?...hmm, yeah I was right. Douchebags a'plenty even where you'd least expect them.