N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think I never did this in my whole life. Maybe this is a proof how narcissistic and selfish I am. I just cannot even provide myself with enough money. I am just a mental wreck. But to be honest even if I had the capacity I would probably not do it either.
I am just too resentful and unhappy for that. I envy the happiness of other people. I feel treated poorly and abondended by the society. Though I sometimes admire people who help the weak. This can be uplifting to see.

I rather believe most people are selfish. I am not sure whether the people who do volunteering do it for other people or whether they just want to feel better for themselves. Some charity/or handout for the poor. Not really wanting to change the system but at the same time not feeling guilty for that fact.
It is easy to give a homeless man 5 bucks when you cross the street but changing the roots for that problem is more difficult and many people don't want to face that problem.

At the same time I should not become too cynical towards volunteering. Some really want to help other people. They are compassionate and empathetic. I made a lot of bad experiences with people. A lot of bullying. Maybe as I said I am just too pessimistic.

I think in the US volunteering is more common than in my country. In the US more people donate money to the poor. In my country there is on the other hand a better welfare system.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: markimobzzdeasui and Lost Magic
june

june

Experienced
May 25, 2020
Yes i volunteer at food bank in their warehouse

Reactions: odradek, genericuser, noname223 and 1 other person
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I think volunteering is a noble act, but I am too ill now to get involved out there. I do, however, donate to charitable causes when I can afford too. I am also a member of the Dignity In Dying organisation in the UK.

Reactions: odradek, genericuser and noname223
june

june

Experienced
May 25, 2020
Yes i think its the thought of, I want to help others with the resources I wish they had. It can ground you a bit to help others

Reactions: genericuser and noname223
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
I've volunteered at soup kitchens or Thanksgiving mess halls before. There was at a time where you could use it as a tax loophole by giving your time a monetary value to offset any tax burdens you may have, but not anymore. But you can donate items now to food shelters or toys for tots programs and write off the monetary value of those items.

Reactions: genericuser and noname223
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
I've volunteered a bit but not much.

I personally find that the types who are into volunteering, even in a sort of corny way, are more genuinely compassionate and down-to-earth, whereas the "fuck this privileged posturing, here's MY revolutionary analysis of how to fix this problem by tackling the ROOTS of it" are on average far more twisted and egomaniacal. They really think they understand absolutely everything with objective certainty and anyone who disagrees is scum.

This comment isn't directed at you personally though noname, and is something I've noticed and thought to myself for a very long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: genericuser
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
No, there is nothing that I am capable of doing, I can barely communicate with people and I hate talking. I simply cannot live and I cannot cope with life. I am very tired and I have no energy. I just want to sleep and never wake again.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: noname223, Rogue Proxy, genericuser and 1 other person
NSA

NSA

Your friendly neighborhood agent
Feb 21, 2022
Volunteering is fun, when I'm capable of doing it. It gives me a place to use my various skills without the pressure of it being an actual paying job. No one cares if you suck or screw up, just that you show up and try. In my experience anyway.

Arrow

Arrow

Rewrite
May 1, 2020
have done it and i don't enjoy it

Reactions: whatevs, genericuser and AnestheticVoid
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
I have, but there's not much in my general area.

JustAMatterOfTime

JustAMatterOfTime

Fragile
Mar 21, 2021
I have considered volutneering with animals in some respect as I like animals whereas I am not fond of people, covid kind of scuppered my plans though and I find it insulting when they make it appear as if you should be interviewed extensively and feel

Reactions: odradek, IsThisTheEnd?, Rogue Proxy and 1 other person
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I used to do volunteering with a non profit organisation before covid we would go to/:
homeless and feed them at night and bring them used clothes and warm drinks
prostitution areas to had out condoms
children chemo wards were the worst emotionally for me, I would often leave and go cry in the toilet
seniour living , singing, player guitar and games
and also make and females min security jails
all that on my free time, I learned a lot from them, on how fast time flies, and many sad stories, would always try to cheer them up even though I was broken inside too,
Now the rules have changed , we can only feed the homeless nothing more, cause we would need to do a test 24 hours before tge visits and the non profit organisation doesn't have money to constantly test us, if you have a big heart, please do it, you will so loved by them, the trick is be like them, not superior to gain their trust, look into their eyes and hold their hands you have no idea the amount of people who miss a human touch,

Reactions: whatevs, noname223 and genericuser
genericuser

genericuser

Student
Feb 9, 2022
I volunteer with a service club in college and at the animal shelter. I love animals and going to the animal shelter just makes my day. With my service club, we'd prepare meals for the homeless, host free events for elementary school students, and do cleanups. I find volunteering to be extremely rewarding when we get to see the lives we're impacting.

• Hugs
Reactions: odradek and CC123
IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
helping animals, people are a waste of time.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I can't even make myself want to work for money why would things be any different if I'm working for free?

Panna

Panna

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2020
Our church has a warehouse where members of different wards can volunteer to help fill orders for others who are disabled and need meals but cant go out and buy them. I love doing this, running around in the warehouse, preparing bags to fill for frozen turkeys and chickens, helping to carry bags out to the waiting folks cars and best of all afterwards a nice hot pot of chili or some other form of meal waits where people can sit and chat. I dream life could be as fulfilling.

Reactions: odradek and CC123
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
The vast majority of the work that I've done in my adult life has been charity work. This broke me mentally, maybe I'll tell the story some day.

I still donate toys to poor kids every christmas, but I can't work anymore because of the progression of my illnesses.

Reactions: odradek
JustAMatterOfTime

JustAMatterOfTime

Fragile
Mar 21, 2021
I have considered volutneering with animals in some respect as I like animals whereas I am not fond of people, covid kind of scuppered my plans though and I find it insulting when they make it appear as if you should be interviewed extensively and feel
Think this was meant to say feel grateful for the opportunity to essentially be offering your labour for free.