Roger

Roger

I Liked Ike
May 11, 2019
I have only been a subscriber to the forum for about 11 weeks, (11 May) so in the measure of things I would normally still consider myself a newbie.

However, when I look at the joining dates of other contributors, so many seem to be even more recent than me. On the other side of the coin you don't have to look back all that far to see how many people don't post any more. It seems hard to believe that all those missing have died, but of course we know for sure only very, very rarely. So why do they leave ?

And I do detect a change in the mood and attitude of the forum. I guess much of this may have to do with the late Shawn Shatto case, plus the atmosphere of fear and apprehension in some quarters over the apparent police interest in those who illegally import controlled substances. In addition to these concrete reasons though, I'm sorry to say that I find so many (but by no means all) comments from very recent joiners to be superficial and lacking seriousness, and that is allowing for the desperate mental straits many obviously and sadly struggle with.

Then again, it may be just my personal perception as my anxiety dips and soars, and as events in what is left of my life take frightening twists and turns.

Reactions: Circles, Deleted member 4288, TiredHorse and 2 others
color_me_gone

color_me_gone

Sun is rising
Dec 27, 2018
I agree with you.

People do not seem to be as friendly with each other as they used to be.
This should be a non-judgemental forum.
We get enough judgement IRL, and just don't need more of it here.
We should just agree to disagree, and not argue our points.
We should support each other, because we cannot seek support from others in our daily lives.
Only we can truly understand the suffering that it takes to consider suicide.

The nature of the subject matter means that you get "burned out" after a while here.
For that reason, many leave, or just don't frequent the forum that much.
It is depressing to see "Goodbye threads."
To make a friend, only to have them ctb, and from what you know of your interaction with them, you are reasonably sure that it was not fake.

The Shawn Shatto event, along with the recent confiscations from LA, has definitely increased fear and anxiety, which is not needed.

I really do think this is a good forum for people like us, who cannot get support anywhere else.
I think that support has a positive effect on giving life more consideration.
It has definitely did that for me.

Just my opinions.

• Hugs
Reactions: HGL91, Circles, TAW122 and 1 other person
Dreamcolleger

Dreamcolleger

I surrender... I SURRENDER!
Apr 26, 2019
I've been lurking since 6 months ago, members leave and new ones join very frequently, so after about 1-2 months the site does tend to have a different atmosphere. For people that are dead serious and want/need to go, this place is absolutely vital. No matter what arguments happen, we will always be able to get the information we need. It can be sad to log in one day and not recognize anyone compared to when you first started reading, but it is the nature of the site.

Reactions: Circles, ExitPlan and Prideathwish
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Yes things have certainly changed for sure. I remember when I first signed up for this site (a few months after Reddit banned SS), I was excited and also relieved when joining since it is one of the few places (if not the only one) that allowed open discussion of the topic of suicide and death without judgment, censorship, or negative consequences, and more importantly, method discussion. I recall that what drew me in was that I was finally able to obtain detailed information and resources in regards to CTB'ing via a firearm, which is my go to method should things go to shit. I've chosen the firearm due to it's reliability (success rate) and accessibility (easier to obtain for me than other methods such as drugs and other tools). Anyways, some important things that happened during the earlier days of SS was that it was more discussion about methods and coping and certainly less arguments all around.

Reactions: Circles, Deleted member 4288 and color_me_gone
D

DoneWithThis

Student
Jul 20, 2019
I do feel that we ought to be as nonjudgemental and as supportive as possible. I'm not sure how things use to be around here since I've only been around for a couple of weeks. Reading through the forum it seems like theirs less interaction than their use to be. Which I'm sure it's somewhat due to the police thing.

Friendliness wise I think everyone is pretty friendly, all considering the state of mind most of us are in. I think that sometimes we might sound harsh. But for the most part I'm sure that's not the intention. I'm sure I've sounded harsh from tone to tone. But I think thar also has to just do with out personalities. Some people come off as more brash than others. Plus! It's one thing hearing a person orally tell something vs just reading it. Plus, whether you failed a CTB or are just waiting for the right moment, sure it causes a certain build up of frustration over time.

I'm positive that the great majority of people on here are supportive and nonjudgemental. Their might be a cunt or two. But that's expected. But considering the size of this community I'm sure it's a really low number.

And I realize that sometimes people on here get into those discussions of who's more right. But for the most part I think that's due to not having read thoroughly the previous posts or dimple miscommunication.

I feel this is a great community full of great people. And I'm happy to have found it.

Reactions: Circles and color_me_gone