BlazingBob

BlazingBob

I'm still here b/c of my dogs
Oct 28, 2021
Since getting sick I've lost all of my 'friends'. My family is toxic and nobody gives a shit. My phone never rings and when I try to reach out nobody answers calls or texts or ever gets back to me. I've read it's fairly common with chronic illness. It's definitely making it a lot easier to ctb. Has this happened to anyone else?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Catch-22, tunnelV, Engström and 6 others
DearAgony

DearAgony

Oct 11, 2023
I wouldn't say I'm cut off, but my phone lays dormant nearly all day every day. If it weren't for work stuff I wouldn't even need a phone. I live alone and work alone. I'll say the word lonely… just doesn't do the situation justice.

Reactions: mediocre, Engström, BrknEyes and 4 others
Namensjemand

Namensjemand

Cursed
Jul 16, 2023
If you Go Mad enough Long enough everybody stops caring.

Reactions: Engström
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
If you Go Mad enough Long enough everybody stops caring.
So true.

But also, I do think society as a whole has become a little more isolating. People are happier to restrict social interactions to online avenues. Entertainment is readily available without needing to engage others.

I think, on the whole, people are less inspired to reach out to others. So, yes, while I do think physical and mental illness can cause others to withdraw from us, I think societal shifts are driving that, or at least exacerbating it.

• Love
Reactions: loopdaloop, bodhi2 and Freyja13
B

bodhi2

Oct 14, 2023
Yes. Its happening now, no one can deal with my depression anymore, they all stay away except for one friend, but I can tell she's wearing out now too.

• Aww..
Reactions: letmejoindeath and Namensjemand
L

letmejoindeath

Kill me
Oct 15, 2023
Yeah my phone never rings either or vibrates except for spam. Im thinking about selling it for the money to help pay for cremation costs so I don't have to burden others with one more thing.

• Aww..
BrknEyes

BrknEyes

Walking skeleton
Nov 2, 2023
I wouldn't say I'm cut off, but my phone lays dormant nearly all day every day. If it weren't for work stuff I wouldn't even need a phone. I live alone and work alone. I'll say the word lonely… just doesn't do the situation justice.
This is probably (imo) the best explanation for myself aswell. Sorry you feel this way friend. But you're not alone.

Cress

Cress

Arcanist
Oct 15, 2023
Yes I've been abandoned by a lot of family members. Even if you have a detailed medical diagnosis it's pretty easy for people to cut you off as someone useless. It makes sense kind of why this is the case would you rather hang out with the family member that owns a car dealership or hang out with the family member that works at walmart? People just in general want to further their own survival and you being more successful increases the more resources that they can collect. You not doing well in life does not bode well for any of that.

I have a cousin that I love dearly i've never had any brothers or sisters in my life and I sort of considered him a bit of a surrogate brother. Unfortunately he's just one of the many casualties of family members that are lost over the years. I met him for lunch a few years back and we went to go see the original Dragon Ball Z broly movie when it was in theaters. He always acted fine and nice on the surface but I was never really able to see him again after that. Pretty sure someone told him about my disability and I assume he just probably thought I was malingering.

• Hugs
Reactions: mediocre