Josef2000

Josef2000

Forsaken One
Nov 5, 2019
I've started a 16 group DBT treatment, I'm on my 4th session however it seems to me that DBT is only focusing on coping with symptoms that arise from my EUPD.

I've read that others get criticised for criticising the therapy with "you haven't tried it enough or given the skills enough practice" which seems to place blame on the individual.

It's quite depressing that the therapy (so far) is putting a bandaid on my disorder. Not sure what I was expecting though I'm really trying to give myself time to recover.

Aleksandra

Aleksandra

żyję cicho krwawiąc
Aug 28, 2019
dbt can help, but you would need other forms of therapy to treat eupd. trust me, ive had my shit time with the nhs and the lack of help, i went private (which i know is not accessible for everyone), and it took me daily intensive dbt, cbt and one other type i forgot (the one that helps with impulsive behaviour) + antipsychotics & antid. i feel you and hear you, i understand how shit it is to get help for a disorder that's heavily stigmatised:(

• Love
Reactions: Josef2000
stermc

stermc

libertas quae sera tamen
Nov 24, 2022
Yes. It's the only kind of therapy that has ever helped me, but I think it depends a lot on the individual and also the therapist that is conducting the sessions. I also have BPD and my therapy is not only focused on the symptoms I have, but mainly in the "roots" of the symptoms (basically in everything I want it to be focused on). In my experience, when it comes to therapy, you need to impose yourself and make sure your needs and expectations are the priority.
For example, when I first started with my current therapist (dbt), I told her I didn't want her to try to change my mind about suicide. So whenever I talk about killing myself, she helps me understand my feelings and thoughts towards dying in a more effective way, but she never says I shouldn't do it or try to convince me otherwise. I make it clear each session that I have my boundaries and "rules" and she helps me respecting my wills.
What I mean is that if you impose your wills more, maybe the results can be better after all. Be clear and certain about the aspects of yourself that you want to work on.

• Love
Reactions: Josef2000
Josef2000

Josef2000

Forsaken One
Nov 5, 2019
Thankyou both so much, reading both of your comments has given me a small amount of hope. I guess the only thing I can do is put 100% towards DBT.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I did DBT.

A lot of people have had a similar response to you by which they feel that DBT is only try to mold them into more conforming people for other people or that trauma is not given the attention it deserves. Clients are always blamed for poor outcomes; that's true of DBT and every other modality. But I think it's probably worth it for you to see it through; there's some dumb stuff in my opinion but there might be something of value to you.

• Love
Reactions: Tikva
M

marudekinoumitai

Mar 28, 2023
I did DBT for my eating disorder. I think it does help, but in my experience it focuses a lot more on changing surface level behaviors than the underlying problem. Not that it's a bad thing necessarily, but I understand feeling like it's a bandaid solution. Overall it's still worth putting effort into imo.