Lookoutbelow

Lookoutbelow

Jump to it
Sep 14, 2023
I almost jumped today. My body froze staring down 16 floors with an open balcony. I want to check myself into a psych ward. Does it help?

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: dazed_dreamer, bridgegirl, Mauve87 and 4 others
passivethought121

passivethought121

Student
Jun 11, 2023
I've heard the experience is generally more positive when you voluntarily check yourself in.

Reactions: vampire2002, Cloud Busting, dumblosergirl and 1 other person
Greyscale

Greyscale

Sep 19, 2023
I've checked myself into a psych ward a few times before.

From what I've noticed, they are varied in quality and support.

Reactions: Lookoutbelow and Rairii
I

Immensevoid

Sep 10, 2023
I think you should do whatever you think can help you, especially if it is your will that guides you it is even more positive, I send you my best wishes and I hope you find a way to recover soon🤗

Reactions: Lookoutbelow
ClockWorks

ClockWorks

Wish I Could Just Enjoy the Silence
Apr 15, 2023
My stay in the psych ward was very rough at first, but it definitely helped me stabilize and discharge out feeling less likely to CTB the next day.

There's definitely going to be an adjustment to what you're used to day to day, but the staff is there to help. The one thing I regret is being too nervous to request any accomodations and instead bottling it up.

Lookoutbelow

Lookoutbelow

Jump to it
Sep 14, 2023
My stay in the psych ward was very rough at first, but it definitely helped me stabilize and discharge out feeling less likely to CTB the next day.

There's definitely going to be an adjustment to what you're used to day to day, but the staff is there to help. The one thing I regret is being too nervous to request any accomodations and instead bottling it up.
I've been in one before. It was odd to say the least.

am1485

am1485

Jul 27, 2020
It can be a positive experience. Especially if you are checking yourself in voluntarily. There are a lot of cool relatable people you can meet in a psych ward. And sometimes the group activities help. But just keep in mind they are going to try to prescribe you medication if your not already taking it or adjust your the current dosage of your medication. My experiences have been positive and negative with psych wards. I think it depends on the quality of the psych ward. It will definitely vary.

Lys_C15H25N3O_d3

Lys_C15H25N3O_d3

Student
Sep 19, 2023
my first 2 stays were vonluntary, pretty creepy at first. but then learned that the currency there is smokes.. fight and you get amplictil + fenergam I.M and for a week its drooling, shuffling with the tongue feelign all weird.
I made "friends" once, we were eager to get discharged and do everything different.. for a while we checked on the net, some moved away some were completely lost, some disappeared. i think i'm the only one left. hence now its my turn
there's no hope staying there today for me.. no hope of "getting out feeling better and starting life over again" - how can you start something that has been postpotned to the end?
itapira lá que agente pira né

Lookoutbelow

Lookoutbelow

Jump to it
Sep 14, 2023
It can be a positive experience. Especially if you are checking yourself in voluntarily. There are a lot of cool relatable people you can meet in a psych ward. And sometimes the group activities help. But just keep in mind they are going to try to prescribe you medication if your not already taking it or adjust your the current dosage of your medication. My experiences have been positive and negative with psych wards. I think it depends on the quality of the psych ward. It will definitely vary.
Thank you for your input. I am still undecided.

Reactions: am1485
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
It personally gave me serious trauma that has contributed to me being here.

Keep in mind that even if you admit yourself voluntarily that doesn't mean necessarily you'll get to leave when you want.

I would avoid it inasmuch as that's possible.

Lookoutbelow

Lookoutbelow

Jump to it
Sep 14, 2023
It personally gave me serious trauma that has contributed to me being here.

Keep in mind that even if you admit yourself voluntarily that doesn't mean necessarily you'll get to leave when you want.

I would avoid it inasmuch as that's possible.
Thanks

Temporal_Anchorite

Temporal_Anchorite

wanting outta this bitch
Sep 23, 2022
I've heard the experience is generally more positive when you voluntarily check yourself in.

Speaking as someone who has been involuntarily committed to a psych ward on 4 separate occasions back in high school, whether or not you check yourself is irrelevant. It largely depends on the facility itself and the quality of care they provide.

Reactions: DarknessInMe and Lookoutbelow
M

Montana-Rain

Sep 22, 2023
There are definitely pros and cons. Like others have mentioned, just because you check in voluntarily doesn't mean you get to leave when you request. It's important to find one you feel comfortable with as well as asking yourself what would you like to gain from being admitted into one? Resources, supports, medications? All of the above.

T

Tulip<3

Student
Aug 16, 2023
I'm in the UK, so depending on where you are your experience might be different. I have done twice, both times saved my life. Both times I was in for 3ish weeks. I do think there is a big difference in experience when you are voluntary, you still have a lot of control, I could go out for walks etc.

It can be scary, not always peaceful but both times I made friends in there and we helped each other a lot. Also getting on the right medication, getting treatment organised etc.

I am wishing you the best đź’›

I

Incandescent

Aug 29, 2023
It can't hurt, they can't keep you forever. Look up psych wards in your area and pick the best one. I've done it before, let me know if you have any questions.

PeterRabbit

PeterRabbit

Feb 19, 2023
Mine was to medically stabilize me and then they kicked me loose and said good luck find a therapist and a psychiatrist. 0/5 stars, would not bid again

B

binkie

Oct 15, 2023
It was a traumatic experience for me that did more harm than good to my already fragile mental health. My PTSD was in remission until I was went to the hospital. Know your rights before you go, because the nurses will try to strip you of them to make their jobs easier.

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I have been hauled into the hospital by the cops AND I also have checked myself in.

The main difference at least for me was when I checked myself in, I CHOOSED the hospital instead of having the cops have the choice. Believe me it WAS a world of difference!

The hospital that I checked myself into had excellent food, and a caring staff of nurses.

Before I checked myself in, I went on the net and looked and did vast amount of research to make sure, at least, that I tried to find a decent place.

My thoughts are that if you can do some research beforehand and pick a place great!

Give you this, the hospital that I checked myself in was after my very nasty car crash. I was on opioid pain meds before I went in and the intake said no way on the pain meds, so I had to deposit them with the rest of my personal belongings. One night around 3 in the morning, I could not sleep as the pain was beyond and I went out into the hall and sat in a chair. A lady nurse came over and asked why I was up and I told her. She left and in about 5 minutes handed me the same opioid pain med that I was on before I came in and then she came back in about 15 minutes and asked me how the pain level was, and I said terrible yet and she disappeared again.

This time she had a night doctor with her, and they put me on opioid pain meds till I left. She is a SAINT!

Sending you lots of love and very well wishes, as a good friend I want the best for you.

Walter

Reactions: Mauve87
Alltheywanted

Alltheywanted

I'll just lay here and die
Mar 6, 2023
A year ago, when I was about 17, I asked my parents to take me to a psychiatric ward, but they wouldn't admit me because I voluntarily asked for it and I hadn't self-harmed in the past (psychiatric hospitals in my country are overcrowded and there is a shortage of psychiatrists). I hate the way this system works, but I'm not sure it would help if I got accepted. I just desperately needed any help.

Kali319

Kali319

Sep 30, 2023
I'm seeing a lot of good replies here already. That being said, I think it is good to know that voluntarily checking yourself in doesn't necessarily mean you can voluntarily leave. That part is really up to the doctors.

Hoping you find what you need <3

Wandererofsolitude

Wandererofsolitude

Oct 16, 2023
Ive been in the psychward five times, some of them voluntarily, others not so much, and I escaped from there twice.

Didn't help me but it might help you i guess. 20230626 20333166

Freyja13

Freyja13

Today's air quality is mauve and speckled.
May 6, 2023
It depends on the psych ward. I seemed to have gotten lucky with my experience. The ER Mental Health Unit staff actually made me wanna kill myself even more but once I got up to the actual psych ward it was kind of pleasant. If possible I'd definitely suggest asking former patients & health care professionals of the psych wards in your area to help determine the safest one. At the end of the day all psych wards help you stay alive for the short term at least and it sounds like you might be experiencing an acute mental health crisis. I'd recommend going.

Mauve87

Mauve87

Aug 30, 2023
Yes I understand the feeling. My first attempt was a scary experience. I admitted myself to the psych ward because I had nothing to lose

The closed ward made me feel like a prisoner but I'm glad I went.
I'm still in recovery and getting a lot of help from social workers and therapists.

If you have access to it, maybe give it a try. If it doesn't work out you can always choose the other option

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
lucyna

lucyna

barely active / recovering
Aug 22, 2023
i checked-in couple hours ago, first timer here. decided to give it a try.

• Hugs
A

ama

Today I feel like suicide…
Sep 13, 2023
Ive been both voluntary and involuntary. Mind set going in really makes a difference. I would say so it but just prepare yourself. Do your research before hand as people mentioned. Ive been in great ones and in one that was literal hell. Insurance will play a big part in that too. It will feel isolating and uncomfortable for a bit but you adjust to being in a closed ward. Take a book and pack a bag. Check whichever hospital you choose website for what is acceptable clothing and what not. Over all accept your fate once you admit yourself and remember the reason why you came in the first place.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
iamalreadydead

iamalreadydead

Student
Nov 25, 2022
You should go if you're suffering since itll at least help stabilize you i think. But really, every hospital stay ive ever done has been disgusting to me. I legitimately felt like an outcast in a fucking psych ward the first time around, and the second and third and fourth time were just my attempts to stay out of homelessness. The last time was kinda fun cause i did make some friends but you spend the entire time doing fucking nothing, its boring and you're trapped. Can't do shit. Cant stay up too late, can't eat food that isn't ass.

antilife

antilife

Student
Sep 11, 2023
I'm in a psych ward right now. Checked myself in about a week ago. It's a good psych ward, many activities. I struggle with it though, because every little thing is something I don't want to do and physically it's just absolutely draining. Waking up early in the morning is pure torture, as well as taking care of hygiene or just existing. I don't know how to spend my time either, when there are no activities. I don't want to do anything at all, just shut my brain off as much as I can. Still thinking of ctb at all times and planning to do so when I get out. I just hope it will be a little easier to take care of myself with medication. Basically just here for that. I hate existing because it's so unbearably hard for me.

• Hugs
Reactions: lucyna