manta

manta

its gonna be ok
Mar 26, 2023
Hey everyone,

So, I have started seeing a new therapist and it's been good so far. I have been diagnosed with depression since 2021 and I currently have a plan to end my life. I honestly really want to tell her everything to get the help I need but I've heard being hospitalized is awful.

How much can I say to her? So far I've only told her I've had suicidal ideation and nothing more.
Thanks

• Hugs
Reactions: mosai1que and Galileo3630
Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
They probably interpret it differently from person to person, I think they need to think there is imminent intent. 'Have a plan' could mean next week or a few months, or "after this session". tbh if you communicated the ideation then she may have a suspicion that it's more since many people have trouble coming totally clean about it. If you mention the ideation each time maybe that will be enough rather than spelling it out? Don't consider this knowledgeable advice though since I don't see one and haven't for a long time (just too anxiuos to talk about it all irl).

I was hospitalized, though not from a therapist, and it was not bad in my case. A month or two on zoloft in a fairly calm place, and it was helpful to remove many stressors for that time. Other people had very tough experiences.

Reactions: manta
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
It will depend on the therapist. A decent one won't have you committed because you tell her that you have a plan to kill yourself.

In theory, involuntary commitment is supposed to only be used when a suicidal person is an imminent threat to themselves or to others; it's supposed to prevent people from doing things that would put them or others at risk. Suicidal ideation, or even having a plan, does not mean a person is an imminent threat to themselves or others, and any therapist worth their salt should be able to know the difference.

At the end of the day, you are in a better position than anyone here to judge whether your therapist would respond in a constructive manner to you sharing the extent of your suicidal ideation, especially if you clearly tell her that you want to talk to her about it because you want her to help you. If you feel comfortable enough with her, and she's shown herself to be an empathetic and trustworthy individual, opening up could be a good step towards recovery.

Reactions: redbathingduck, FacePALM, Al Gul and 2 others
R

RW__Asher23

Global Mod
Dec 11, 2022
There is a difference between a plan in the future and imminent very soon. HIPPA laws are guide also for Therapist and Psychiatrist or agencies. They have specific things they look for but are open to discussions with you about it. I have been there myself. A few times. I later wanted to help people and went to school to become a Crisis Service Counselor. That was back 1988. I graduated and worked as counselor/crisis line counselor /advisor. Some Psych's will allow you to discuss even say I thought about kill self today but had this appointment so here I am. The Psych. if a good one will talk about it and why you want to do it. Not call 911 or Crisis center but instead discuss and try to help you not do it TODAY with a contract between you and him/her to stay safe until you meet again. If you agree no hospital and you will now be able to do the same thing again once you have both agreed on this. But if bad counselor/Psych. they could and would call put you in hosp. because of legal HIPPA laws if not agree with contract between you two. Depends on the Psych. Also where you live who your Psych is do you feel ok with this one? Do you feel ok to talk and open up etc. I know I probably not help a lot but trying to give you what I know for fact and work and experience myself being put in because I shot myself years ago. Wish you the best with this. Hope you can continue to try but if not I understand too. Either way I wish you peace and will be with you no matter which you chose to do. This is your life and only you can decide to try all you can to get through or if you have and are tired or whatever reason decide no more it is ALWAYS your decision. I told someone who asked about this site and people who ctb after coming here that if they ctb that decision was most likely already made LONG Before they ever came here. We do not encourage you to ctb!! I or anyone else I know of but I do say if you feel you still think ctb but not ready then try a little longer. CTB is FINAL!!! I see what you write and ask I think you still feel you have some hope. Just my opinion though. Peace.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: redbathingduck, guayabas and manta
guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
do you mind if I ask what your plan is? and do you have a day picked out? your therapist will ask

manta

manta

its gonna be ok
Mar 26, 2023
do you mind if I ask what your plan is? and do you have a day picked out? your therapist will ask
I won't go into much detail since this is the recovery forums but it's Stan's Method and I am waiting for the right time. Thinking about what it would do to my family and friends makes me delay
There is a difference between a plan in the future and imminent very soon. HIPPA laws are guide also for Therapist and Psychiatrist or agencies. They have specific things they look for but are open to discussions with you about it. I have been there myself. A few times. I later wanted to help people and went to school to become a Crisis Service Counselor. That was back 1988. I graduated and worked as counselor/crisis line counselor /advisor. Some Psych's will allow you to discuss even say I thought about kill self today but had this appointment so here I am. The Psych. if a good one will talk about it and why you want to do it. Not call 911 or Crisis center but instead discuss and try to help you not do it TODAY with a contract between you and him/her to stay safe until you meet again. If you agree no hospital and you will now be able to do the same thing again once you have both agreed on this. But if bad counselor/Psych. they could and would call put you in hosp. because of legal HIPPA laws if not agree with contract between you two. Depends on the Psych. Also where you live who your Psych is do you feel ok with this one? Do you feel ok to talk and open up etc. I know I probably not help a lot but trying to give you what I know for fact and work and experience myself being put in because I shot myself years ago. Wish you the best with this. Hope you can continue to try but if not I understand too. Either way I wish you peace and will be with you no matter which you chose to do. This is your life and only you can decide to try all you can to get through or if you have and are tired or whatever reason decide no more it is ALWAYS your decision. I told someone who asked about this site and people who ctb after coming here that if they ctb that decision was most likely already made LONG Before they ever came here. We do not encourage you to ctb!! I or anyone else I know of but I do say if you feel you still think ctb but not ready then try a little longer. CTB is FINAL!!! I see what you write and ask I think you still feel you have some hope. Just my opinion though. Peace.
Thank you for this it was really helpful. I don't think I know my therapist well enough yet to gauge what she would do with me if I told her. We've only had a few appointments so far but she is someone I feel comfortable opening up to but I'm just worried about spilling too much. I have heard of the safety contracts and that would hopefully be what she does. I think I'll see tomorrow once we talk what she would do.

I am a long lurker of this site and I am aware that SS doesn't encourage suicide. I don't think I'd be here if that was the case haha. It's comforting to hear I may still have hope because the chance of getting better does keep me getting out of bed every day. I'm really sorry about your attempt, you must have been going through a lot to get to that point. Wish you all the best and thank you for all the info!!

• Love
Reactions: guayabas and RW__Asher23
guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
I won't go into much detail since this is the recovery forums but it's Stan's Method and I am waiting for the right time. Thinking about what it would do to my family and friends makes me delay
follow up question, do you have the supplies already?

guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
ok you have the option to tell her whether you have a plan or not. I've told therapists this and that I didn't have the supplies I needed and they just had me come up with a safety plan. I can't promise all therapists will react this way though. If she asks, and she likely will, saying you have the supplies might make her think you're in imminent danger and could get you hospitalized.

If you really want help, you might want to get rid of the supplies yourself. I get that it can feel more comforting to have that as an option though. When I had supplies, I felt happier, like every day I chose to live until eventually I felt like I didn't even need to have that as a backup plan anymore and I got rid of it. It's up to you what you think is best. Some ppl it's not a good idea to have supplies bc they're impulsive.

different hospitals are different experiences. you might try to research the one in your area and see what ppls experiences are. It might also depend on whether you're committing yourself voluntarily or not. the place in my town was def traumatizing to a friend of mine who was involuntarily committed. But was fine for a friend of mine who voluntarily committed. they might make you take medication and idk if they're very accommodating when it comes to side effects. if you're already on medication, they might just have you stick to that or increase your dose

if you decide you want to voluntarily commit, then tell her you have a plan and supplies. However, if there's no beds, you might not be able to get hospitalized at all. idk what therapists do in that situation

I wish you all the best, and hope you get the help you want and deserve

Last edited:
Reactions: Citruscine and RW__Asher23
manta

manta

its gonna be ok
Mar 26, 2023
ok you have the option to tell her whether you have a plan or not. I've told therapists this and that I didn't have the supplies I needed and they just had me come up with a safety plan. I can't promise all therapists will react this way though. If she asks, and she likely will, saying you have the supplies might make her think you're in immanent danger and could get you hospitalized.

If you really want help, you might want to get rid of the supplies yourself. I get that it can feel more comforting to have that as an option though. When I had supplies, I felt happier, like every day I chose to live until eventually I felt like I didn't even need to have that as a backup plan anymore and I got rid of it. It's up to you what you think is best. Some ppl it's not a good idea to have supplies bc they're impulsive.

different hospitals are different experiences. you might try to research the one in your area and see what ppls experiences are. It might also depend on whether you're committing yourself voluntarily or not. the place in my town was def traumatizing to a friend of mine who was involuntarily committed. But was fine for a friend of mine who voluntarily committed. they might make you take medication and idk if they're very accommodating when it comes to side effects. if you're already on medication, they might just have you stick to that or increase your dose

if you decide you want to voluntarily commit, then tell her you have a plan and supplies. However, if there's no beds, you might not be able to get hospitalized at all. idk what therapists do in that situation

I wish you all the best, and hope you get the help you want and deserve
I will consider throwing out the supplies but I'm indecisive. I'd like to but there's a fear of everything getting worse after I toss them and then I have no way out.

I probably won't tell her about the materials but maybe the plan and just say I haven't gotten around to ordering anything yet. The hospitals in the area are actually not good except for maybe two with mixed experiences (not sure if we're allowed to say the area here). Voluntary commitment to one of those better ones is an option as well, I'd just be worried about being gone from college for too long and American medical bills lol. I think it'll be my last resort

Thank you for sharing your experience with me and taking the time to help. It really means a lot

• Hugs
Reactions: guayabas
oooobeeeeii

oooobeeeeii

Tired
Mar 18, 2023
Hey everyone,

So, I have started seeing a new therapist and it's been good so far. I have been diagnosed with depression since 2021 and I currently have a plan to end my life. I honestly really want to tell her everything to get the help I need but I've heard being hospitalized is awful.

How much can I say to her? So far I've only told her I've had suicidal ideation and nothing more.
Thanks
I went to a hospital for a month in November. For me it was a good experience, so dont just assume the worst. Also, as everyone said here, it depends on a therapist and if they think you are a real danger to yourself

Galileo3630

Galileo3630

Tsundere
Mar 22, 2023
Hey everyone,

Thanks
I've told my therapist a lot, from my hobbies, to my cutting, to my abusive parents, to how my close ones died and their own CTB failed/successful attempts and my therapist was very kind and understanding, she never judged me or told me her own side of the story, she always listened and understood things from my POV, she's the reason why I got my anti-depressants and eventually managed to somewhat get better. Sure, I still want to CTB time to time, but it's not as hard and heavy as in the past when I used to attempt partial hanging almost on a weekly basis but could never succeed cause my parents would always be home so I'd get scared and untie myself asap.

• Love
Reactions: manta and witheringDreams
witheringDreams

witheringDreams

Mar 21, 2023
I've told my therapist a lot, from my hobbies, to my cutting, to my abusive parents, to how my close ones died and their own CTB failed/successful attempts and my therapist was very kind and understanding, she never judged me or told me her own side of the story, she always listened and understood things from my POV, she's the reason why I got my anti-depressants and eventually managed to somewhat get better. Sure, I still want to CTB time to time, but it's not as hard and heavy as in the past when I used to attempt partial hanging almost on a weekly basis but could never succeed cause my parents would always be home so I'd get scared and untie myself asap.
It sounds like you've been through a lot and have found an understanding therapist who has been helping you manage your struggles. It's great to hear that you have been able to get the help you need through therapy and medication, and that you are doing better than before. This world need every Tsundere it can get :3

• Hugs
Reactions: manta and Galileo3630
I

inpursuitofpeace

Jan 4, 2023
Hey everyone,

Thanks
It depends on the therapist. I've had several where I can be completely open and honest with SI and nothing has happened at all, if I didnt want a higher level of care. Maybe a casual, call the crisis line if needed, but nothing drastic. No hospitalization or anything. If i did want to go to the hospital, they're supportive, but they have never forced me to go. They encourage it if needed. On the other hand, I've had one therapist who is very cautious and at the moment that I mention any SI, even if it's fleeting and passive, she immediately tries to hospitalize me. And if I don't want to go, she tries to involuntarily commit me, but hasn't had the legal grounds to do so. Some hospitals are better than others. I've had really great stays and really traumatizing ones. If you do go, I always recommend going voluntarily vs involuntarily. It'll just make things so much easier for you.
Hey everyone,

Thanks
It depends on the therapist. I've had several where I can be completely open and honest with SI and nothing has happened at all, if I didnt want a higher level of care. Maybe a casual, call the crisis line if needed, but nothing drastic. No hospitalization or anything. If i did want to go to the hospital, they're supportive, but they have never forced me to go. They encourage it if needed. On the other hand, I've had one therapist who is very cautious and at the moment that I mention any SI, even if it's fleeting and passive, she immediately tries to hospitalize me. And if I don't want to go, she tries to involuntarily commit me, but hasn't had the legal grounds to do so. Some hospitals are better than others. I've had really great stays and really traumatizing ones. If you do go, I always recommend going voluntarily vs involuntarily. It'll just make things so much easier for you.

If you want the help, I would recommend reaching out and telling your therapist. They will likely suggest that you go to the ER for a psych eval and then it'll begin the process of finding a bed for inpatient psychiatric hospitalization (as long as you meet the criteria). Or, you can walk into the ER yourself if you feel like you need immediate help. You can always call the ER ahead of time, too, and let them know what's going on so you can ask questions if it'll help you feel more comfortable. Sometimes I do that to see how the hospital can help me before I go and it has helped a lot.

Last edited:
jdog2498

jdog2498

Dec 8, 2022

If you want the help, I would recommend reaching out and telling your therapist. They will likely suggest that you go to the ER for a psych eval and then it'll begin the process of finding a bed for inpatient psychiatric hospitalization (as long as you meet the criteria). Or, you can walk into the ER yourself if you feel like you need immediate help. You can always call the ER ahead of time, too, and let them know what's going on so you can ask questions if it'll help you feel more comfortable. Sometimes I do that to see how the hospital can help me before I go and it has helped a lot.
is there any non-hospitalization options for this psyche eval? i know there are programs like rehab, residential, and other outpatient programs, but do any of them actually work? my understanding is they are all just really a waste of time.

i've never been hospitalized by a mental health care worker, however i have heard people getting hospitalized due to crisis lines and things like that so i never call. it's really either people take you seriously, and resort to hospitalization, or they laugh at you but don't traumatise you with a hospitalization. i definitely agree that involutary is the worst way to go, seems like a blantant violation of consistutional rights, and they treat you like a criminal. i'd say you should share anything your comfortable with definitely, but keep in mind they have a legal obligation, and value their licenses above all else

I

inpursuitofpeace

Jan 4, 2023
is there any non-hospitalization options for this psyche eval? i know there are programs like rehab, residential, and other outpatient programs, but do any of them actually work? my understanding is they are all just really a waste of time.

i've never been hospitalized by a mental health care worker, however i have heard people getting hospitalized due to crisis lines and things like that so i never call. it's really either people take you seriously, and resort to hospitalization, or they laugh at you but don't traumatise you with a hospitalization. i definitely agree that involutary is the worst way to go, seems like a blantant violation of consistutional rights, and they treat you like a criminal. i'd say you should share anything your comfortable with definitely, but keep in mind they have a legal obligation, and value their licenses above all else
My local therapists office has a crisis worker who can do a psych eval, but if they deem that you need to go to the hospital, they send you there and still make you do a psych eval at the hospital, so it essentially wastes time. There are programs for residential, PHP, etc, along with inpatient. Inpatient is generally very short term (which my insurance refused to cover more than a few days), and other levels of care can be more long term (at least a few weeks). I think it just depends on the person and the program. I've went to residential for a different medical illness and it was life changing for me. But the ones I've went to for my mental health haven't helped a bunch (but I've been struggling with my mental health for a really long time). I've found those to be more of a waste of time. Some people require treatment several times before it "clicks" and they find relief. I just haven't found it to where it works for me. It's a good piece for stabilization but it hasn't helped me long-term.

• Hugs
R

RW__Asher23

Global Mod
Dec 11, 2022
I have read the replies here and I want to tell you I have 9 years working Crisis Services Phone lines and Outreach services. Working with Counselors and Therapists and State and local agencies group homes etc. In my state there are two cities where your crisis calls will go to and only one city for DV/SA calls go to. If you call crisis services in our state and say you are suicidal and plan to kill yourself now or after this call I will tell you what is happening while I am on phone with you. Keep in mind there are State and Federal laws we must also follow. When you call say I am suicidal going to kill myself today I will pass paper note to one of the phone room counselors/advisors that I have SC/Intent now. Suicide Call =SC. They get on phone get trace started and get hold of Outreach team passing info. Then they will get phone company to give location cell or tower and home address land line, then I give info on what we are discussing in call. Methods plan reason etc I will try to get you to agree to a visit Crisis visit from outreach team. If you agree they will go to your location and talk with you. Not immediately take you to hospital but if you refuse or when we show up you decide you are still going to ctb anyway. then , I have had to do this myself and did not like it but tell you I give you choice, go hospital with me and team member willingly or we can and will commit you to 72 hours against your will. We always have police very close by they will come if needed. Sometime they listen to conversation and we just say You are going now and they show up last thing you want to do is run. Believe me. We get priority to beds, even if ward is full then we tell hospital safety admission and Crisis intervention they will make a bed available. We get beds when therapists sometimes can't. Truthfully you do not want to go in that way. Because we tell you we can make you stay 72 hours but it normally ends up closer to 3-5 weeks once you are admitted against your will. My point here is that if you live in my state that is what happens on a crisis call to us. If you are suicidal and a plan and method available right now with you. It happens fast. In this case it is the person you are talking to who decides they trust you to wait for outreach people to come or just send them and police backup to you anyway but then you will most likely go in against your will. Our hospitals psych wards are overloaded so they don't want us to send people to them and recently I hear they stay will likely be less time because of lack of beds and staff. Staff being a big issue now. That is also why the hospital is not the safest place for you. Due to other patients and the fights and other things that happen with only small staff available to intervene. That situation is everywhere in US.
This is info for you so you understand not all states are the same but New York State is serious about suicide attempts thoughts etc. I also know from my own experiences before and after working for them. I left because I could not take it any longer. The stress levels and pressure and legal and our own required meeting monthly with counselor or our boss who is licensed therapist to discuss those who commit suicide while talk to you on the phone. I had that happen to me. A gun goes off then the police tell me they find the person but are deceased. The job got to me. It is every day 6 days a week I did this job it is miracle I have anything left to call a mind. I know several of my co workers have left burnt out from that job. My own therapist said she could never do that job. Sorry this was so long. Apologize for the length but I think you should take chance with counselor/therapist but if you really want to get in hosp. call Crisis Line you will know what to do but I warn you if you are in this state what I said can and will happen. I just want to be honest with anyone here. I have plan myself ctb not far away. But now I have Physical illness and Mental illness PTSD and more but physical illness I will die from it and would be very bad kind of death. Not going to happen. CTB for me. I wish you all the best and safest most peaceful end to whatever choice you make ctb or therapy one more time. I will support your decision. It is yours and only yours to make. Good to know you are in college. I was happy when I graduated myself but yeah can get pretty intense college too. Peace.

Reactions: mosai1que and manta
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Yes. I've kicked myself for my stupidity ever since.

I'd you ever mention suicide at all, don't tiptoe around your fears. Be upfront with the therapist about them and emphasize that you have no intention of making an attempt.

manta

manta

its gonna be ok
Mar 26, 2023
I have read the replies here and I want to tell you I have 9 years working Crisis Services Phone lines and Outreach services. Working with Counselors and Therapists and State and local agencies group homes etc. In my state there are two cities where your crisis calls will go to and only one city for DV/SA calls go to. If you call crisis services in our state and say you are suicidal and plan to kill yourself now or after this call I will tell you what is happening while I am on phone with you. Keep in mind there are State and Federal laws we must also follow. When you call say I am suicidal going to kill myself today I will pass paper note to one of the phone room counselors/advisors that I have SC/Intent now. Suicide Call =SC. They get on phone get trace started and get hold of Outreach team passing info. Then they will get phone company to give location cell or tower and home address land line, then I give info on what we are discussing in call. Methods plan reason etc I will try to get you to agree to a visit Crisis visit from outreach team. If you agree they will go to your location and talk with you. Not immediately take you to hospital but if you refuse or when we show up you decide you are still going to ctb anyway. then , I have had to do this myself and did not like it but tell you I give you choice, go hospital with me and team member willingly or we can and will commit you to 72 hours against your will. We always have police very close by they will come if needed. Sometime they listen to conversation and we just say You are going now and they show up last thing you want to do is run. Believe me. We get priority to beds, even if ward is full then we tell hospital safety admission and Crisis intervention they will make a bed available. We get beds when therapists sometimes can't. Truthfully you do not want to go in that way. Because we tell you we can make you stay 72 hours but it normally ends up closer to 3-5 weeks once you are admitted against your will. My point here is that if you live in my state that is what happens on a crisis call to us. If you are suicidal and a plan and method available right now with you. It happens fast. In this case it is the person you are talking to who decides they trust you to wait for outreach people to come or just send them and police backup to you anyway but then you will most likely go in against your will. Our hospitals psych wards are overloaded so they don't want us to send people to them and recently I hear they stay will likely be less time because of lack of beds and staff. Staff being a big issue now. That is also why the hospital is not the safest place for you. Due to other patients and the fights and other things that happen with only small staff available to intervene. That situation is everywhere in US.
This is info for you so you understand not all states are the same but New York State is serious about suicide attempts thoughts etc. I also know from my own experiences before and after working for them. I left because I could not take it any longer. The stress levels and pressure and legal and our own required meeting monthly with counselor or our boss who is licensed therapist to discuss those who commit suicide while talk to you on the phone. I had that happen to me. A gun goes off then the police tell me they find the person but are deceased. The job got to me. It is every day 6 days a week I did this job it is miracle I have anything left to call a mind. I know several of my co workers have left burnt out from that job. My own therapist said she could never do that job. Sorry this was so long. Apologize for the length but I think you should take chance with counselor/therapist but if you really want to get in hosp. call Crisis Line you will know what to do but I warn you if you are in this state what I said can and will happen. I just want to be honest with anyone here. I have plan myself ctb not far away. But now I have Physical illness and Mental illness PTSD and more but physical illness I will die from it and would be very bad kind of death. Not going to happen. CTB for me. I wish you all the best and safest most peaceful end to whatever choice you make ctb or therapy one more time. I will support your decision. It is yours and only yours to make. Good to know you are in college. I was happy when I graduated myself but yeah can get pretty intense college too. Peace.
Thank you my friend and don't apologize for the length I don't mind the reading. My last therapist did threaten to call a crisis line if I didn't call my dad and tell him and I'm glad I called him instead. Crisis line does sound intense and being detained against my will would probably put me in a worse state than I currently am in. I'm sorry you had to go through that at your work I have so much respect for people in the mental health profession. Sorry that you're at a point where CTB is your only option but I'm glad it will bring you peace compared to natural death. Best wishes

Reactions: RW__Asher23