Rustysoupcan

Rustysoupcan

I'm sensitive
May 2, 2020
It's getting extremely hard to go to work and I dont know what to do. I dont have the money to quit, but I dont have the energy to go. The only diagnosis I currently have is depression. Just wondering if anyone here has gotten onto disability

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking, Ren Elsie Jewelria and Caspers
W

Womps

Nov 1, 2020
All i can say is i am diagnosed schizoaffective and i cant get disability. im sure if i keep trying i may get it. But they dont just hand it out as easy as one might think. and its also a verrry long process. That being said i kind of doubt it

Reactions: x~Sophia~x, waived and lofistos345
OccydePoes

OccydePoes

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
I do. But only for 80%

• Hugs
Reactions: Viro_Major
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I was one of the few lucky people who got it

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
If it were that easy then millions of Americans would already be on it.

Reactions: waived and Womps
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
I wish I had so many times, but never made any claim in that direction.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking
MichaelNomad123

MichaelNomad123

Jesus
Oct 15, 2020
I'd like to, but I have no idea where to begin

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking and Viro_Major
x~Sophia~x

x~Sophia~x

Always give 100% - unless you’re donating blood.
Sep 10, 2020
It's getting extremely hard to go to work and I dont know what to do. I dont have the money to quit, but I dont have the energy to go. The only diagnosis I currently have is depression. Just wondering if anyone here has gotten onto disability
In UK? If yes, No, you won't get benefits for depression. There are millions of people with a diagnosis of depression who go to work.

Reactions: Womps
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
In UK? If yes, No, you won't get benefits for depression. There are millions of people with a diagnosis of depression who go to work.
If they're in the US, it's possible they could if it's severe enough

Reactions: Lostandlooking and x~Sophia~x
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
I know people have managed to get on it for less, while others struggle to get on it for far more. It's a strange beast. Though I'm pretty sure you will be required to see a psychologist/psychiatrist for the duration of your disability benefits..that's what has stopped me from pursuing it, also I don't look forward to the possible looks or questions I will get when going to any other appointment, or wherever else the "benefits" follow me. People in general are nosy ass pieces of shit and they love to know how you are paying for things, love to make an unsolicited comment about it and ask too many questions. I am not mentally ill in the usual sense, all my mental issues are symptoms of physical ones so I don't appreciate the label that will be forced on me with being on disability for "mental health" reasons. And that's the only avenue of getting on disability that most people here have, save for a legitimate physical handicap or disease.

Reactions: All washed up and x~Sophia~x
W

Womps

Nov 1, 2020
man the people that get all nosey/judgey and ask questions dont bother me, they can just suck my hairy ass

Reactions: Lostandlooking and LastFlowers
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
man the people that get all nosey/judgey and ask questions dont bother me, they can just suck my hairy ass
They mostly bother me because some of them are professionals in other areas I need assistance in, who can decide not to help me because I'm a "crazy" on disability. If I'm paying for a service, they may feel they can ask me how or determine it in another way. If I have a negative outcome with the service, they can dismiss it by calling me nuts. Also, where I live, news spreads and I've been isolated from the people in this area for a long time, I'd rather them not even know I was alive, never mind what I suffer with.

Caspers

Caspers

Lost
Jun 23, 2020
In the UK if it is severe enough to label you as disabled, you may be entitled to Personal Independent Payment (PIP) or Disabled Living Allowance (DLA). My friend has severe anxiety and depression and is on it. I am on it for my physical and mental disabilities. It took about six months for them to approve it, but I got paid from the day I submitted the paperwork. Of course things may be different now due to Corona, I think they're changing the requirements and names of the benefits atm.

You will need to se a professional to assess the severity of the depression as they usually require a doctor's, psychiatrist's or educational psychologist's letter telling them you do have this disability and how hard it impacts your daily living.

If you go on the .gov website, you should be able to find all the benefits they can offer.

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
Ren Elsie Jewelria

Ren Elsie Jewelria

I sneezed!
Aug 30, 2020

I wish. Only sick-leave from a friendly doctor.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
In the UK if it is severe enough to label you as disabled, you may be entitled to Personal Independent Payment (PIP) or Disabled Living Allowance (DLA). My friend has severe anxiety and depression and is on it. I am on it for my physical and mental disabilities. It took about six months for them to approve it, but I got paid from the day I submitted the paperwork. Of course things may be different now due to Corona, I think they're changing the requirements and names of the benefits atm.

You will need to se a professional to assess the severity of the depression as they usually require a doctor's, psychiatrist's or educational psychologist's letter telling them you do have this disability and how hard it impacts your daily living.

If you go on the .gov website, you should be able to find all the benefits they can offer.
I'm in the UK and I got Employment and Support Allowance and also some PIP. Long forms to fill in and an interview.
I was honest with them, but also downloaded their criteria to see how to play their points system as best as possible (so I wouldn't miss anything).
Personally, I felt my physical issues should have been better represented, but they seemed to concentrate on psych stuff. The balance, I thought was an accurate assessment in terms of levels, though I wasn't sure I agreed about some of the specifics.
My physical and mental condition can vary wildly if it's not managed. They wanted to know what proportion of time was good or bad, so tried to take this variation into consideration. I also tried to impress on them that if my condition is managed, then I can present as actually quite okay. It's if it's un-managed that It becomes a problem. And I spend half of everyday and some of each night managing my issues as best I can. Without that time to myself I'd be fucked. A care need is still a care need no matter if it's managed and presents well.

Reactions: Lostandlooking and Caspers
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Had to get a lawyer long ago to qualify for disability after they denied me first time around. I've weaned myself off of disability because I wanted to work and have a structured life. Plus getting $550 a month was paltry compared to what I get now working.

E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Jul 5, 2020
Man it's crazy how hard it is to get disability for mental illness. Like every normie will admit they don't want to work with a crazy person, I bet the people at the disability office probably don't want to work with a crazy person either. But then they make it prohibitively difficult for them to afford a life with basic dignity, especially in America.

Idk much about applying for disability, and I can only speak for the USA process, but if you have a shitty job in retail or food service where you make less than about $1.3k per month, you aren't doing substantial gainful activity, so I think you'll be at an advantage in that case, espec if your work history is spotty and you have no higher education or professional training. I think the disability people like to see that you've made an attempt and that you have been clearly and consistently beyond help. Getting a SSI/SSDI lawyer will also help, there are some who will only ask for your first few months' benefits as payment once your case is won.