T

Thefuture

Feb 28, 2022
The amount of times I hear people online say some artist is the reason they're still alive. Smells like bullshit to me 99% of the time. It's kinda insulting

• Wow
Reactions: akana, Élégie, Un- and 1 other person
27clubBRIAN

27clubBRIAN

im a mk ultra victim
Jul 27, 2022
Yeah I feel like that's more of a overplayed phrase people just started saying when they really admire an artist

Reactions: Élégie and DynamicDepression
Insomniac

Insomniac

𝔄 𝔲 𝔱 𝔦 𝔰 𝔪
May 21, 2021
It's not just one artist. It's just entertainment in general. The internet, social medias, videos, movies, music, animes..

without it all I'd be long gone. Now nothing works to numb the pain anyway so

• Love
Reactions: akana and lofticries
L

Leiden

Arcanist
Sep 1, 2020
Music to me is for happy people and if music can save someone, they didn't have far to go to be saved, imo.

• Wow
Reactions: akana, Élégie and Un-
hellispink

hellispink

poisonous
May 26, 2022
Music can be soothing and a life saver. Everyone's different and if an artist music and art makes them feel alive, I think it is totally valid and understandable. I do think though that there should be a line between being inspired to stay due to their music and being obsessed or dependent on what they do (I think that is extreme sort of).

Reactions: lofticries and akana
A

akana

Student
Mar 21, 2022
It all depends on your outlook. Music for me is my life and pride and joy and I'm nothing wo it (hence why I'm here on SS).

My favourite artists didnt just keep me alive, they are the reason I was who I was.

One album that changed my life is god in audio form to me and I only know a few other people who feel the same way about that album.
The people I listened to help me condition a certain mindset and outlook into life and allow me to understand myself better.
You might have not found your favourite artist yet n maybe that's a reason to live

Last edited:
Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
No. As for other people, I believe they needed any reason to live. People will cling to many things ranging from becoming born again in their religion or being delusional that the random phone call they received on the bridge was a sign from the universe and not random chance.

I don't think they are being dishonest to themselves intentionally, they just don't understand they saved themselves and would have found something else.
It's not just one artist. It's just entertainment in general. The internet, social medias, videos, movies, music, animes..

without it all I'd be long gone. Now nothing works to numb the pain anyway so
In a certain sense this is true as well. Any escapism or simply taking a nap instead of killing yourself when you desire it is "saving" yourself in someway.
We may see their response about an artist saving their life as exaggerated while the true disagreement is simply the emotional essence of making it one day was different. Making it another day is just seen as the clock ticking or survival instinct getting in the way because of the nature of this forum.

Reactions: Un-
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Why would they lie? Vangelis has saved mine. He's kept me busy doing this

Reactions: akana
D

Dried_Ink

Aug 1, 2022
I wouldn't still be here were it not for Hope Sandoval. When I saw her perform live, I crossed another thing off my bucket list. I saw my favorite artist perform…now I can rest easy.

lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
I actually don't mind if ppl say or even mean such things. However lines are crossed when ppl try to pretend they know that artist on a personal lvl.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I got a lot out of Charles Bukowski.

Most of his fans seem to be misogynist edge lords, but his poems really spoke to me.

He is one of those writers who gets a lot of mileage out of his words. His prose is descriptively simple. When you read a million dollar vocab word in his works, you better bet that is the perfect word for that situation. My man did not lean on a thesaurus.

He is the first writer I have read who really seemed to "get" what depression is all about.

These are some nice renditions of his poems:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lost Magic
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
When I was given citalopram in 2005 and all of a sudden I couldn't walk fast, or ride bikes, or play video games, or draw... I was very upset because I was supposed to helping ended up ruining my life... but I didn't really care either because at the same time I was pretty anhedonic about everything.

It also bothered my eyesight, but I could still read and became fond of reading. And I was lucky enough to do a weekly collection of books by author Terry Pratchett. It didn't save my life, but it did help me, and a lot, to move on. Especially because in their books they spoke with humor about life, death, injustices... everything was of interest to me, they didn't talk about banal things, they talked about human miseries from a very optimistic, critical point of view and at the same time conciliatory.

For me, Terry Pratchett is a very important part of my life.

//

Quan em van donar el citalopram el 2005 i de cop i volta no podía caminar depressa, ni fer servir bibicletes, ni jugar a videojocs, ni dibuixar... em va gafar un fort malestar perquè se suposava que allò que m'havía d'ajudar em va acabar de destrossar la vida... però tampoc m'importava gaire perqué alhora estava bastant anhedònic amb tot.

També em va fotre la vista, però encara podía llegir i em vaig aficionar a la lectura. I vaig tenir la sort de fer un colecció setmanal de llibres de l'autor Terry Pratchett. No em va salvar la vida però si em va ajudar, i molt, a seguir endavant. Sobretot perquè en els seus llibres es parlava amb humor de la vida, de la mort, de les injustícies... tot era del meu interés, no parlaven de coses banals, parlaven de les miseries humanes des un punt de vista molt optimista, crític i alhora conciliador.

Per mi Terry Pratchett és un punt i apart molt important en la meva vida.