Peekaf

Peekaf

Dem Bones
Jul 8, 2018
I couldn't find a thread about this and would like to know your thoughts.

As far as method's go I can't imagine many things being as painful, especially if you miss the aorta and bleed out slowly. It still seems viable and the symbolism is almost comforting to me as someone that's very interested in Japanese culture.

Oh, thanks in advance for replies and for welcoming me to your forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caerula, Dead_Inside and dano6533
T

Tiburcio

This is one of the last methods I would think about.

Reactions: azeton, Caerula, dano6533 and 1 other person
deflagrat

deflagrat

¡Si hablas español mándame un mensaje privado!
Apr 9, 2018
Do you want to have the horonable death of a samurai? Are you trying to kill yourself because your feudal lord is killing himself? It looks like that's the only situation this thing would have some meaning.

• Yay!
Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment, shin, nopoint and 3 others
M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
Harakiri is more of a symbolic way of killing oneself than anything else. For regular people in this day and age, it doesn't make much sense to die in such way. That said, if that will give you closure or if that can at least make the act of dying more interesting to you, then go for it.

I mean, I would love to kill myself in Aokigahara simply because in this world, Japan is the place my soul feel at most comfortable in, so I suppose I can relate in a way or another. The reason I don't consider this is because I don't want to trouble the family I have in this life with bringing my body back from Japan. It would probably be expensive for them and I doubt Japanese authorities will bury my body there.

Reactions: Caerula and dano6533
deflagrat

deflagrat

¡Si hablas español mándame un mensaje privado!
Apr 9, 2018
Now that I think about it, there's a big problem with this method: You don't have a second (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaishakunin). Most people didn't even cut their stomach, it was just the signal to cut their heads. Noone on their right mind would actually do it because they know they could be loosing blood for hours.

Reactions: Caerula, dano6533 and NoDream
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Sounds too painful and slow!

Reactions: Caerula, dano6533 and Tiburcio
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
You would need someone to cut off your head with a decent sword afterwards or you would just by lying on the ground, dying very slowly and painfully. Finding someone who would be willing to cut off your head afterwards would very difficult as well.

Reactions: Definitelyworried, Caerula and dano6533
D

Deleted member 847

If I had no choice but to stab myself, I would carefully study my neck and practice finding the carotid artery without feeling the pulse for months and then try to cut them, assuming I had the guts to use the knife to deeply penetrate my neck

T

Tiburcio

If I had no choice but to stab myself, I would carefully study my neck and practice finding the carotid artery without feeling the pulse for months and then try to cut them, assuming I had the guts to use the knife to deeply penetrate my neck
This is one of the hardest methods to do, the survival instinct here hits way stronger than with every other thing. If you choose it, good luck.

D

Deleted member 847

This is one of the hardest methods to do, the survival instinct here hits way stronger than with every other thing. If you choose it, good luck.
Hell no. I'll just hang myself when I'll be alone at home. Maybe a trained soldier could do this to himself with practice and willpower but I'm too weak.

Reactions: ReleaseMe, Peekaf, Caerula and 3 others
C

comfortablydumb

Student
Jun 19, 2018

As far as method's go I can't imagine many things being as painful, especially if you miss the aorta and bleed out slowly. It still seems viable and the symbolism is almost comforting to me as someone that's very interested in Japanese culture.

No, it's not viable. It's just stupid. And it's just idle fantasizing, like "I'm really considering decapitating myself with a car and a rope, you guys!"

If you were very interested in Japanese culture, you would probably know about the "kaishakunin", or second, that deflagrat mentions. Seppuku evolved into a stylized ritual which consisted mainly of beheading by a second.

Yeah, so, no, I don't see much value in idly speculating about some dumb, self-mutilating ritual that neat-o old-timey Japanese dudes didn't even really do.

Reactions: ReleaseMe
Dead_Inside

Dead_Inside

Wizard
Jul 2, 2018

I agree the symbolism is something interesting... I know I couldn't do it. I am hoping that just my suicide serves a similar albeit lesser function ...

Reactions: Peekaf
C

Caerula

Student
Mar 20, 2018
No, it's not viable. It's just stupid. And it's just idle fantasizing, like "I'm really considering decapitating myself with a car and a rope, you guys!"

If you were very interested in Japanese culture, you would probably know about the "kaishakunin", or second, that deflagrat mentions. Seppuku evolved into a stylized ritual which consisted mainly of beheading by a second.

Yeah, so, no, I don't see much value in idly speculating about some dumb, self-mutilating ritual that neat-o old-timey Japanese dudes didn't even really do.
I'm just curious about what makes you consider decapitation by car 'idle fantasizing' and what makes it not viable?

C

comfortablydumb

Student
Jun 19, 2018
I'm just curious about what makes you consider decapitation by car 'idle fantasizing' and what makes it not viable?

According to statistics, approximately 1 million people commit suicide each year, globally. It's safe to say that throughout history, tens or hundreds of millions of people have commmitted suicide.

Decapitation by car isn't entirely unviable, but there exists something like two - 2- examples of it ever happening. So, according to the available info, less than one person in the world, out the million who commit suicide, does it.

I think the numbers speak for themselves. But in case they don't:

The main problem is the ridiculous amount of danger it exposes innocent bystanders to. It's difficult to set up in a way that reduces this risk to an acceptable level.

Furthermore, there's a thousand ways to fuck it up: rope/wire/chain breaks, car stalls, fastening point fails, driver chickens out and merely paralyzes himself from the neck down, etc.

Reactions: Smilla, Caerula and soundwave
Peekaf

Peekaf

Dem Bones
Jul 8, 2018

I'm not about to get in an argument with you but, "If the cut is performed deeply enough it can sever the descending aorta, causing massive blood loss inside the abdomen, which results in a rapid death by exsanguination."

It's not "I want to rip my head off using a car", it's ritualistic suicide and probably much more efficient.

Peekaf

Peekaf

Dem Bones
Jul 8, 2018
Hell no. I'll just hang myself when I'll be alone at home. Maybe a trained soldier could do this to himself with practice and willpower but I'm too weak.

This is what I think about the situation as well.

C

Caerula

Student
Mar 20, 2018
According to statistics, approximately 1 million people commit suicide each year, globally. It's safe to say that throughout history, tens or hundreds of millions of people have commmitted suicide.

Decapitation by car isn't entirely unviable, but there exists something like two - 2- examples of it ever happening. So, according to the available info, less than one person in the world, out the million who commit suicide, does it.

I think the numbers speak for themselves. But in case they don't:

The main problem is the ridiculous amount of danger it exposes innocent bystanders to. It's difficult to set up in a way that reduces this risk to an acceptable level.

Furthermore, there's a thousand ways to fuck it up: rope/wire/chain breaks, car stalls, fastening point fails, driver chickens out and merely paralyzes himself from the neck down, etc.
Thanks for the explanation :D

C

comfortablydumb

Student
Jun 19, 2018
I'm not about to get in an argument with you but, "If the cut is performed deeply enough it can sever the descending aorta, causing massive blood loss inside the abdomen, which results in a rapid death by exsanguination."

It's not "I want to rip my head off using a car", it's ritualistic suicide and probably much more efficient.

Do you think that anyone was arguing that sticking a knife into your guts and rooting around is NOT potentially fatal? If you're samurai enough, you can rub yourself to death with a pumice.

Anyway, in your heart of hearts and my bile of biles, we know that you're not going to trouble your own descending aorta with a mall-ninja blade.

To be fair to you: your proposed method is much more reasonable, practical, and likely to succeed than "rip head off using car".

Reactions: nopoint
Peekaf

Peekaf

Dem Bones
Jul 8, 2018
Do you think that anyone was arguing that sticking a knife into your guts and rooting around is NOT potentially fatal? If you're samurai enough, you can rub yourself to death with a pumice.

Anyway, in your heart of hearts and my bile of biles, we know that you're not going to trouble your own descending aorta with a mall-ninja blade.

To be fair to you: your proposed method is much more reasonable, practical, and likely to succeed than "rip head off using car".

Exactly. This was not an attention seeking post nor should I or anyone else be scolded for considering something other than partial suspension.

Reactions: ReleaseMe and Caerula
N

nopoint

Jul 5, 2018
I just find this method extremely painful, which will make it very difficult to do. Our survival instinct is way too strong. The initial cut has to be hard and deep enough. I think by the time the knife enters your stomach, it would be too painful too move it, and the method would fail.

C

comfortablydumb

Student
Jun 19, 2018
Exactly. This was not an attention seeking post nor should I or anyone else be scolded for considering something other than partial suspension.

What is it with you people and making stuff up? By "you people", I mean the people pretending to be considering outlandish suicide methods. And by "making stuff up", I mean consistently putting up false dichotomies. Partial suspension is, to put it mildly, not the only, nor the most popular method discussed on the forum.

M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
What is it with you people and making stuff up? By "you people", I mean the people pretending to be considering outlandish suicide methods. And by "making stuff up", I mean consistently putting up false dichotomies. Partial suspension is, to put it mildly, not the only, nor the most popular method discussed on the forum.
Drop it. If people want to talk about "outlandish suicide methods", then let them. There is no rule against it.

Reactions: ReleaseMe, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, AveryConure and 1 other person
Peekaf

Peekaf

Dem Bones
Jul 8, 2018
ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.u1.png

Reactions: AveryConure and Caerula
skitliv

skitliv

Le mort joyeux
Jul 11, 2018
Isnt someone supposed to cut your head on the harakiri ritual?

Peekaf

Peekaf

Dem Bones
Jul 8, 2018
Isnt someone supposed to cut your head on the harakiri ritual?

Technically yes, though its not required. If I had to guess, that part was probably added to spare the person a slow and painful death.

Reactions: Caerula
Sharethepain

Sharethepain

We forge the chains we wear in life.
May 2, 2018
Heyo, Japanese language student here, kind of. "Hara" means belly, Kiri, from the verb kiru - to cut, means cutting, therefore the translation is Belly cutting, or stomache cutting if you want.
Traditionally there was always as far I remember a second person to cut off the first person´s head during harakiri, by the way, its better to write it as seppuku , its the same word, only harakiri is not very used and if you used it in Japan it would be disrespectful.
In Japan Hara is belly, but in their culture it also refers to your heart, therefore the act of opening your belly with a knife, usually tanto, was to signify that you have a clear consience. Shortly after you sliced open your belly the secondant would cut off your head as to spare you the pain and slow death. Captured soldiers were offered to commit seppuku and pass away with honor in old wars in Japan usually.

Reactions: skitliv and Peekaf