PurposeDeficiency

PurposeDeficiency

In a constant state of confusion
Apr 3, 2020
The external factors of my life are pretty good. I don't have friends but I can afford the things I want, my family cares for me, etc. My mind's messed up, yes. But even during times I'm feeling exceptionally well, I still fantasize about non-existence.

I saw a post once about: "Scenario A: Presence of pain-bad, presence of pleasure-good; Sceanrio B: Absence of pain- good, Absence of pleasure: Not bad."

And in everything people crave for the ultimate goal is happiness. Yet to me that seems meaningless aswell. It's all just chemicals that temporarily make you feel good. Even pleasure is meaningless if there is no objective purpose in life. You will die anyways and staying alive doesn't automatically increase your happiness. It just prolongs the cycle of pain and pleasure.

If a game doesn't tell me what to do and I have to make my own goals, it's fun for a while but it gets boring quickly. If a game gives me goals to work toward, that I can achieve my own way and get rewards for (+own goals), I don't get overwhelmed/confused/bored so easily.

My therapist told me I still got plenty of time to find purpose in life but I genuinely don't believe there will ever be anything more than: "Yay, activity X make feel-good chemical." What if I abuse drugs and have sex all the time and then CTB? That'll probably be more fun than living 'till I'm 80 and being like: "That's it? That's all I lived for?"

Who knows, maybe I'm asking for too much, but it's not easy being happy when nothing matters at all.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Hopeindeath!, Silvermorning, antigone_iris and 5 others
F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
The external factors of my life are pretty good. I don't have friends but I can afford the things I want, my family cares for me, etc. My mind's messed up, yes. But even during times I'm feeling exceptionally well, I still fantasize about non-existence.

I saw a post once about: "Scenario A: Presence of pain-bad, presence of pleasure-good; Sceanrio B: Absence of pain- good, Absence of pleasure: Not bad."

And in everything people crave for the ultimate goal is happiness. Yet to me that seems meaningless aswell. It's all just chemicals that temporarily make you feel good. Even pleasure is meaningless if there is no objective purpose in life. You will die anyways and staying alive doesn't automatically increase your happiness. It just prolongs the cycle of pain and pleasure.

If a game doesn't tell me what to do and I have to make my own goals, it's fun for a while but it gets boring quickly. If a game gives me goals to work toward, that I can achieve my own way and get rewards for (+own goals), I don't get overwhelmed/confused/bored so easily.

My therapist told me I still got plenty of time to find purpose in life but I genuinely don't believe there will ever be anything more than: "Yay, activity X make feel-good chemical." What if I abuse drugs and have sex all the time and then CTB? That'll probably be more fun than living 'till I'm 80 and being like: "That's it? That's all I lived for?"

Who knows, maybe I'm asking for too much, but it's not easy being happy when nothing matters at all.
I could tell you something about what I've discovered about life, but I'm afraid i will be labelled a troll. So, maybe you should enjoy then die.

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Maybe living for the moment would work better? Gain happiness from current experiences. If I have a donut that make me happy since it's yummy and sugary. It won't greatly impact the long term, but it's a stepping stone in the day. Happiness doesn't have to only be the big picture and long term goals. It can be the small things too.

• Love
Reactions: antigone_iris, Sensei, Deleted member 94 and 1 other person
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
You are a mammal. Your purpose is to bond and nest. You are human. Your purpose is intellectual productivity.

Birth family does not count once you can wipe your own ass.

Reactions: Silvermorning and Ghost2211
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
Some people despite their trouble decided to live each day as it was their last trying to do things they enjoy like eating out, cinema or theatre.

Reactions: antigone_iris, Ghost2211 and Sensei
StringPuppet

StringPuppet

Lost
Oct 5, 2020
I can't get any happiness or meaning out of life so I'm pretty much screwed

• Hugs
Reactions: Arrow and Ghost2211
F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
I can't get any happiness or meaning out of life so I'm pretty much screwed
Decide to die and you'll find happiness. Knowing nothing worse can happen to you but death which you embrace, now that's happiness.

PurposeDeficiency

PurposeDeficiency

In a constant state of confusion
Apr 3, 2020
I could tell you something about what I've discovered about life, but I'm afraid i will be labelled a troll. So, maybe you should enjoy then die.
I'm interested in what you've got to say. You could just PM me if you want.

Reactions: Ghost2211