ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
I have been interested in comparing these two methods. The technical differences (success probability, pain factor, and time) can be found on lostallhope.com :

Anyone has given any thought to these two methods and why you would prefer one over the other please chime in.

Reactions: Sisifos, Frt and Toobrokentofix
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I personally think Lost All Hope's ratings are off, as well as other information. I found SS because I wasn't getting reliable information from them about hanging.

After being on SS, do you think the technical information you listed is accurate? I haven't looked at that site in quite a while.

Reactions: Sinai Silence and Fragile
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
I agree with @GoodPersonEffed, lost all hope is unreliable and some of its data seems a bit, for lack of a better word, pulled out of their asses in some cases.

Now, these two methods are hard to compare since they have so many variables. Jumping depends mostly on how tall is the structure that you are going to jump from is, and the position your body lands at the end of the fall. on the other hand, hanging depends on your body measurements, quality of the rope and dropping distance (I wont talk about partial since I consider it extremely unreliable).

Unless you jump from a very short structure, I think jumping is more peaceful. both can go horribly wrong, but hanging seems like a way more length process that includes convulsions and prolonged pain. while jumping is a single hit that usually knocks you out even if you fail, the only agonizing part of jumping seems to be the short seconds of the fall itself, most people seem to regret it instantly after they jump.

These two methods are way off my radar since I prefer less violent ways to go that don't leave a mess, but if I was forced to pick one, It'll probably be jumping. hanging is reliable and has been the most popular method since thousands of years, but I'm not a fan of prolonged suffering should things go wrong.

Reactions: GoneGoneGone and ManWithNoName
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
I personally think Lost All Hope's ratings are off, as well as other information. I found SS because I wasn't getting reliable information from them about hanging.

After being on SS, do you think the technical information you listed is accurate? I haven't looked at that site in quite a while.
I have no idea. It seems as if lostallhope did research it a bit, but how thorough the research I have no clue. The person at that site could be pulling the data from unsubstantiated sources.

If anyone has more accurate data regarding these methods, please post.
I agree with @GoodPersonEffed, , but if I was forced to pick one, It'll probably be jumping. hanging is reliable and has been the most popular method since thousands of years, but I'm not a fan of prolonged suffering should things go wrong.
Hanging can be done more privately (inside or in woods) whereas jumping requires height of course, and one runs the risk of public shock because typically one needs to be a in big city to access tall buildings. Bridge jumping has the same effect shocking the public. The documentary of suicides of the Golden Gate bridge showed this, but at least it is less messy than landing in the middle of a city street, or on a vehicle, or worse: onna pedestrian.

Last edited:
Reactions: LADY007 and Fragile
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I'd pick hanging over jumping mainly because I'd rather not be feeling the fear of falling to my death. While jumping can be lethal, I find that hanging allows me to have a bit more control over how I'd die versus just free falling from a great height. The downside of hanging is finding a sturdy enough ligature to support my weight as well the environment I'm in, though the same could be said with falling, especially if I lack access to a suitable place to jump off from. Also, with jumping, it is harder to override my SI and lack privacy (especially if jumping from a public place like a cliff side, mountain, or other place) while hanging I could do in private.

Werewolf

Werewolf

Without shelter
May 12, 2020
Both are very reliable methods if executed correctly, i.e jumping from sufficient height, using a strong enough ligature etc. Jumping of course has the disadvantage of needing access to a high enough structure, and if done from a building there's always the chance one might hurt other people.
If I had to pick I'd go with hanging, one can do it pretty much everywhere, preferably in the woods or some other serene location away from people.

Frt

Frt

Apr 1, 2020
I think the full hanging is horrible. We break the cartilage of the larynx, crush the trachea and choke to death. Edema forms in the brain, and we gradually faint, with our face burning and ears ringing. I think this is what is happening. For the jump, all our bones are broken, our organs are crushed, if we are lucky we lose consciousness. Myself, I hesitate to jump out and hang myself. But my SI disturbs me. I found a bridge of about 90 meters on the highway or hang in my garage but I can not choose. I think I will choose the method that brings me certain and quick death

• Aww..
Reactions: Sisifos and WearyOfStruggling
V

Varstraben

Student
May 25, 2020
Sadly I think jumping at high height is better than hanging. I said sadly because I'm acrophobic, so unless if someone push me in, I will simply curl into a ball and make some little mouse noise.
So I hope to hanging from a sufficient height to broke my neck and lose consciousness as fast as possible.

lostangel

lostangel

Enlightened
Mar 22, 2019
If you can find a good high spot for jumping I would choose jumping because once you jump it's pretty much out of your control.

GravityUtilizer

GravityUtilizer

Born to lose
May 22, 2020
Both classics but jumping has the thrill factor.