Space_Soup

Space_Soup

Veteran
Jul 6, 2019
I've been visiting this site for about 11 months now, and something I haven't come across is a correctional officer's experience with suicides in prison. More specifically, inmates committing suicide. Well, I'm a former correctional officer with five years of dealing with inmates and I just wanted to shed some light at how much I envy their ability to just do what I cannot no matter how much I try. I quit that job over a year ago, but during those five years I would estimate probably about 2-3 suicide attempts per month. Mostly via hanging and rarely cutting of the wrists. Those are the only two methods attempted by inmates at the facility I worked at. Anyways to keep this as short as possible, we lost just about every inmate to suicide by hanging. When it happened on my shift, we all responded to the call after our units were locked down. I always tried to see where exactly the inmates placed the bedsheet (sometimes torn at the edges of the sheet to make a thin ligature, sometimes the whole bedsheet was used) around their neck and it was always right under their chin, above their Adam's apple. Always partial hanging, bending at the knees with the knot directly at the back of the neck. Earlier I stated that I envy them and I do. I have tired partial hanging about 25 times, trying to get myself in that exact same position, and still cannot do it. It pisses me off. I don't understand it. On another note, during those five years we lost six officers - five by suicide via a 9mm shot to the head, one non suicide by a spider bite.

• Aww..
Reactions: Pen>Sword, jake3d, ron_g and 4 others
W

whyidon'tknow

Human
Jun 9, 2019
Damn. Like you I have tried partial inumberable times but yet here I am. Perhaps these prisoners have a desperation we don't. I hope I can get to that stage

Reactions: Inevitable and DyingWitsie
R

ron_g

Experienced
Nov 25, 2018
Thank you for sharing your perspective.
What do you mean when you say you cannot do it? Do you stop yourself because of fear of death? Are you experiencing difficulty closing the arteries but otherwise not afraid of death?
Did the facility have a prevention program in place? How were attempt survivors treated?
How did attempters prevent making noise during the seizures?
What anchor points did they use for their ligatures?

D

DeepSleep

Student
Aug 8, 2018
Well, I'm a former correctional officer with five years of dealing with inmates and I just wanted to shed some light at how much I envy their ability to just do what I cannot no matter how much I try.

Thats something new! Without any disrespect, I thought that prison guards are the most thick-skinned, blunt, immoral individuals with psychopathic/sadistic traits. And that most of them pick this profession not with money in their mind, but because they love to torture and humiliate other people...
No personal disrespect. Why did you quit, by the way?