• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

N

nolifer

Dec 25, 2020
I've been redoubling on my research about long drop hanging recently.

For those that don't know why I prefer long drop hanging, it's because when it doesn't fail, it's instant unconsciousness. All in all, in total, from the moment the drop begins until moment of losing consciousness takes less than half a second, no physical or menbtal pain or suffering. Suspension hanging otoh is very slow and extremely painful.

One thing which I'm uncertain about after my research is done, is that they explain that the executioner has to jerk the rope, timed so that the jerk happens just before the prisoner reaches the end of the drop. This creates a lot more force than if there was only a drop without any jerk from the executioner.

It's not explicitly written in any of the papers/articles I've read if the long drop calculation only works when the executioner jerks the rope.

I've also seen a text saying that long drop hanging should not be used for suicide because it will be extremely painful. It's only meant for executions.

But that doesn't make much sense, why would it be painful for suicides but not for executions?

That leads me back to thinking that maybe the jerk on the rope by the executioner is necessary to make it painless.

I then researched why they say using a drop longer than the calculated long drop distance would only increase suffering. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_by_hanging

Then I found this:

"why ask the executioners to perform mathematical problems when they could simply make the rope long enough to achieve sufficiently high drop energy for every condemned person?

[...] With and excessively long-drop, Haughton was concerned that "the mental sufferings of the criminal during the second occupied by his fall may be very considerable"" - https://science.thewire.in/the-scie...ihar-jail-cervical-fracture-long-drop-method/

So the only downside to having an extra long drop, much longer than the calculated long drop, is the mental suffering the prisoner has while falling during the drop, that's all! The long drop only takes about 1/3 of a second, so double the distance of the drop isn't really a big deal I think if it can guarantee a successful hanging. Because it seems like the measured long drop only works with an executioner to jerk the rope?

Interested to hear your thoughts. On so important topics it's important to get the research done right. There shouldn't be any doubt or uncertainty with the research. Please share sources because we're doing science here.

• Informative
Reactions: Sick of it all
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
Jerk the rope? What are you talking about? They did math so people wouldn't be decapitated.

N

nolifer

Dec 25, 2020
Forgot to say, regarding decapitation, I think it's better to risk decapitation with a too long drop than to risk dying from strangulation if the drop was too short.

S

securit

Apr 25, 2020
I don't think it means the Executioner jerks the rope but at the end of the rope it jerks or bounces

Reactions: nolifer
N

nolifer

Dec 25, 2020
I don't think it means the Executioner jerks the rope but at the end of the rope it jerks or bounces

I think you're right and I think I know how I misled myself. It could have been this article: https://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/death-dying/death-by-hanging.htm
It says "In some cases, the hangman jerks up on the rope at the precise moment when the drop is ending in order to facilitate the breakage".

So every time I read about "jerk the rope" I connected it to the executioner doing the jerk.

Also because of the text I found in one of the articles saying that measured long drop hanging is very painful method for suicide, it's only for executions it's painless. That didn't make any sense to me unless it has to do with the exectioner jerking the rope.

So I think you're right, I just misunderstood the articles.

I still wonder if it's a good idea to add a bit of extra length to me on the sure side. Peronally I don't mind being decapitated if it guarantees a painless death. I doubt 1/3 of an extra second can add any considerable amount of extra mental suffering during the fall, it's so fast after all.