T

Thefuture

Feb 28, 2022
I did it for a couple weeks a few years ago. I have been eating so bad the last year so much sugar. I'm addicted badly I will start craving sugar like a drug. So I thought, I am painfully depressed right now sit on my ass and eat like shit. I'm gonna try keto again. Go full obsessed and see how it affects my mental health. It's always nice to get a good habit and try make it last and then when it doesn't you feel miserable and wonder what the point in anything is. HA! but that's what I'm gonna do. I wanna try get into better shape I was always a thin girl and lately, seeing as I don't go anywhere or see anyone I've let myself go badly. Let me know if you've done keto and gimme some recipes if you have some!!
If I do remember correctly when I did keto last time I had a lot more engery and I'm sure my anxiety was a little less severe but I'll keep this thread updated for this journey. Feel free to join me too. That could be a motivating thing we could do togther and keep each other focused on the mission.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, Famous Last Words, Lost in a Dream and 1 other person
☆AwaitingEntropy☆

☆AwaitingEntropy☆

Snuffing the Light Out
Nov 6, 2021
I'm also curious if keto works. While I don't know if I want to go full keto or just low / reduced carbs, I've gotta make a change to my diet as well. I'm seriously addicted to sugar as well (to the point my brain genuinely feels sluggish unless I have something sweet.) And I have diabetes, which, obviously, is not great. So I've gotta try something, at least to see if it helps.

I wish you luck in your food journey. ^^

O

OctoberDusk

Apr 26, 2022
I tried keto for four months in late 2018/early 2019. It works for a lot of people, including a sibling who has been on it for years, but I was miserable. Chest pains, sweating, lethargy, and I was losing control of my depression, enough that I more securely locked my gun for fear of a rash decision. It did help me break my bread addiction, though.

I took a doctor's advice and switched to a Mediterranean diet in early 2019 and have been on it since. That worked wonders, as I feel much better (physically and mentally), have more energy, and am less than half the size I was (I used to be huge).

• Wow
Reactions: greencondo, SadVegan, NobodyKnowsMe and 1 other person
Marine

Marine

*~ 絶対に 全てを取り戻させてもらう ~*
Jul 5, 2020
*sitting on giant matlouh bread* What is Keto ? 😆

Seriously though I've found that replacing sugar with fruit, dried fruits such as dates, müesli / oatmeal, low cal sorbet / frozen yoghurt / nice cream and sweeteners while having a balanced diet including vegetables, legumes, tofu and single servings of carbs like rice cakes or pita bread, occasionnaly pokebowls or asian stir fry noodles, worked infinitely better for me than keto.

I will mention as a disclaimer that my problem is not linked to a type of food in particular but to my circumstances though I have a massive sweet tooth.

Reactions: Foresight, obafgkm, Red and 1 other person
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
No question keto works great for weight loss, but the rebound effect when you mess up (and you will mess up) is huge. Basically you are likely to experience problems like low energy while on it, and you will almost certainly go overboard once you're back on the carbs since keto really isn't super sustainable long term. Only a small minority of people can stick with it over the long haul.

My feeling is that you are better off doing something gentler that you can maintain. So ideally not depriving yourself of anything too much while staying within certain limits.

Reactions: greencondo, NobodyKnowsMe and Red
Hirokami

Hirokami

Out of order
Feb 21, 2021
I'm currently doing a keto/CICO diet at the moment. Within a month I've lost over 10 pounds already. Keto has been very effective for weight loss, though there have been times were I became moody and lethargic. I definitely need to have my cheat days to be a somewhat functioning person.

B

Bombastus

Jun 5, 2022
I did keto back when people just called it "The Atkins Diet". It did work but I couldn't maintain it because I was so young and wasn't really in control of my life. I lost 9 kilos in 3 months but had problems with being able to sleep and concentrate in school, I was certainly thinner but healthy I absolutely was not

P

PartlyHuman

Sorry for my English
Jan 10, 2021
A doctor recommended me keto+intermittent fasting and I've followed it for about two weeks. I've stopped when I'd realised I was practically a zombie with how little energy I had and that even water made me sick. Turns out I've had hidden health problems which manifested because of the "diet".
I did lose some weight and my skin was better than ever so it was indeed effective. But balanced diet with complex carbs is honestly effective too and also more sustainable. Keto (and intermittent fasting) is only good if you're physically healthy enough.

Lebensunwertes

Lebensunwertes

Du bist auf dich allein gestellt
May 26, 2022
I was on keto back in 2020 for about 6 months. It's a good diet to start eating healthy, because most foods contain carbs and unless you cook for yourself you'll be starving... or dropping out of keto. I also did intermittent fasting, 48-72 hr fasts once a month. I didn't really feel any super natural results. Never had any increased focus or anything like that, but once I returned to junk food and processed carbs my body felt much worse. Nowadays I'm on low carb, however I do fall out of my principles unfortunately.

S

Seeking_Peace

Arcanist
May 18, 2022
I did it for 8 months, work was hell, critical thinking was difficult. It's not sustainable. Don't waste your time.

Y

YC&^93qoVF*e

May 17, 2022
i do intermittent fasting. its kind of like keto i guess? i mean, im pretty sure it takes me to ketosis even though im not eating a keto diet.

well, used to anyway. things are a bit rough right now. but i think ill go back to intermittent fasting if things get better.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
My attempt at the keto diet lasted less than an hour. I made a pact with two of my friends to do it, then when I went out with one of them to get some tea in a cafe, the cafe was offering free samples of some beef noodles. My friend takes one and I go "Dude! Noodles aren't keto!" To which my friend replied: "Oh yeah" and he proceeded to eat two of the samples. I tried one too and from that moment my keto diet was over for good.

• Yay!
Reactions: PartlyHuman
W’ren

W’ren

Worthless
Oct 28, 2020
I did the Keto diet a few years ago along with a ton of exercise- i shed a ton of weight and relapsed into my eating disorder.

Keto works but honestly it's unsustainable. Nutritionists know it- and anyone who has tried it is aware of it too-

I'm unaware of anyone who is still happy several months into a keto diet- as they avoid all the foods they enjoy except bacon lol.

Bacon…. Food of the gods… also, the duct tape of food- holds anything and everything together!

jesse

jesse

perpetually overwhelmed
Sep 18, 2019
I did a strict keto diet for several months many years back. I noticed that it helped lower my anxiety, but it also significantly decreased my energy along with it. Eventually I gave in and ended the diet. I think my downfall was substitutes. As in trying to make keto-friendly subtitutes for bread, desert, etc. Once I gave into fake bread, eventually the cravings for the real stuff beat me. Anyways, keto is a pretty difficult diet in the long-run.

Reactions: houseofleaves
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
Iirc one person I know tried it and lost weight and was happy about it but then she got half of her body paralyzed and had to move to a hospital for paralyzed people. I don't know whether the diet had anything to do with it though, but she is the only person I know personally who has tried that diet.

My advice is: eat what you feel you need to eat, your body knows better than you what it needs. The only thing is, don't eat too much. For example, body craving something isn't bad. You eating ten bags of it and then blaming the body, that's bad. One time I had a huge craving of cheese and milk out of nowhere, turns out it was a lack of iodine.

Also, try to recognize why your body craves something. One time I was like "Geez, I really want to eat this thing for some reason, but no matter how much I eat it, I don't feel fulfilled". Turns out I had a lack of some vitamin or mineral and that food was the only food I had in the house that contained that vitamin/mineral but it only contained a tiny bit of it so that's why I suddenly wanted to eat them but didn't feel fulfilled even though I ate a lot.

So in short, eat what your body tells you, not what your mind tells you.

PS: I hate eating, I want to go to a world where everyone can either not eat at all or eat whatever they want. I hate how complicated this world is. If a person only wants to eat chocolate ice-cream with peanuts, they should be able to eat a litre of chocolate ice-cream a day and the body should still be in perfect shape. If they want to never eat again, same thing, they should be able to be in a perfect shape and health without eating anything at all. Think about fantasy stories, imagine if they said "Gandalf had a terrible stomach ache and constipation because he ate 0,0001 grams too much of cheese, and Goku is feeling severe nausea and tiredness because he ate two pizzas in the morning" that would be so "uncool".

Yeah, I definitely need a new world. Eating should be fun and optional for living, not a job, and not complicated. Well, I say optional, but something like "you need to eat something once a week" doesn't sound that bad.

wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
My rheumatologist wants me to do keto and intermittent fasting. Keto is nearly impossible if you don't eat meat, though, and I've been a vegetarian since 1988. I probably don't make the enzymes needed to digest meat at this point, and even if I did, I also have some food phobia around meat. No obvious reason.

Even though I'm very far from the doctor's recommended 20g or less of carbs per day, it still helps to quit wallowing in sugar all the time. I can't say I feel great, but I do feel better.

Reactions: greencondo